Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I think the comparisons to Fulham are wide of the mark too. They wasted a lot of their money, and didn't improve a poor defence. They also tried to play the possession football they played in the Championship against better teams and got found out. I'd like to think we'll be a bit more pragmatic in our playing style (mixing it up depending on who we play) and buy better quality than them. But we can't not spend - we probably only have three PL quality players right now (Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi) and there are even question marks against them. We need much fuller investment over the coming weeks if we're to even compete against the bottom half teams. That quite frankly might well require spending well over £100mil - or having a bloody good scouting team. But the days of picking up a Kante for £7mil are arguably over, given how prices have inflated dramatically. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He was the Stoke fans player of the season. Pretty unusual for a keeper. The rest of their team must be poor. 

I live in Stoke and after 99% of there games it was always good job Butland was playing or we could of been beat 4 or 5,was good behind a terrible defence of Williams & Shawcross.

£20m seems alot but he is a England keeper and with the price Everton paid for Pickford he is worth it.

I like Steer but sometimes he looked very very shaky coming for a cross or just commanding his area.

Butland's value is probably 20 million plus. If Villa pay the correct price for a player it will indicate that we are acting professionally from a strong financial base.

We have to get the key "spine of the team" positions sorted and settled instead of chopping and changing. Goalkeeper, CB's, defensive CM, playmaker and striker have to be stand out players if we are to survive and flourish at the top level.

• Like 4

This is based purely on prejudice but I'm so vary against English keepers :)

Nothing to say they cant be good and I'm not seen Butland more than perhaps a couple of times in the last couple of seasons.

£20m and above is a lot thou so we have to be certain he that good.

• Like 1

Not seen enough of Butland or Etheridge to really form an opinion but if we can afford to strengthen the spine no one should be turning their noses up at it. GK, CB (as well as Mings), DMC, ST. 4 top signings there would be brilliant.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

This is based purely on prejudice but I'm so vary against English keepers :)

Nothing to say they cant be good and I'm not seen Butland more than perhaps a couple of times in the last couple of seasons.

£20m and above is a lot thou so we have to be certain he that good.

I know what you mean - historically, when you want a good CB you go to Italy.

When you want the brain on the pitch in CM, you go to Germany.

You want a tricky winger - you go to Spain.

You simply don't think of England as a place where good keepers come from 😂

Just now, Mic09 said:

I know what you mean - historically, when you want a good CB you go to Italy.

When you want the brain on the pitch in CM, you go to Germany.

You want a tricky winger - you go to Spain.

You simply don't think of England as a place where good keepers come from 😂

Yeah, pretty much :D 

I went to Stoke away this season and Butland was absolutely phenomenal that day. It was the day he wore the Gordon Banks jersey and we honestly couldn't get the ball past him.

If Cutler can improve him he could almost certainly become the England Number 1, this in itself would massively boost his transfer value.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Personally, £20m for a keeper doesn't indicate best use of resources IMO, there's higher priority positions.

I would imagine Kalinic is lined up to be sold, possibly even a deal already in place. This would bring the transfer fee for Butland down to £12-15 million which would almost certainly be worth it.

Just think how many points we lost this season having a poor goalkeeper in the first 11. This isn't to say Steer won't be a good PL goalkeeper, but it could potentially be a long 6 months after the 8th August transfer deadline passes if he doesn't make the step up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not seen enough of Butland or Etheridge to really form an opinion but if we can afford to strengthen the spine no one should be turning their noses up at it. GK, CB (as well as Mings), DMC, ST. 4 top signings there would be brilliant.

I don't really see anyone turning their noses up, just questioning the amount of money, which is fine, we should question potential fees, especially when so high.

22 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

If Butland works those 10-15 points will be very useful in achieving first target of staying up

That's a big 'if', every transfer is a risk and I'd be more concerned if people weren't questioning chucking £20m at a keeper, it would make him the 7th most expensive keeper ever.

I like Butland, I think he's a good keeper and would improve our spine enough to make it worth pursuing, but the fee has to be right as as well.

He's a good age, and yes he's in the England squad but I wouldn't read too much in to that as there isn't much competition in the goalkeeping department right now. Is he worth £20m? Potentially a 5th or more of our budget for this summer? That's what we should really be debating.

5 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Jota 

El ghazi 

Hause

Mings

Butland

Benrahma 

That would be a very good start to the window. Four first teamers and Jota and Hause as squad players. 

Until Benrahma signs, which I would love, Jota is best RM we've got. Really would like a solid DM as Hourihane isn't one

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

2 or 3 years ago I would have been all over that Butland signing, even at an inflated British price. I thought he was well on his way to being one of the best, he was so impressive in his breakthrough seasons.

Can he get back there though, I don't know - I haven't watched an awful lot of Stoke this season (who has?!). It would be a risk but I wouldn't be gutted at spending up to £20m ( I presume bonuses and clauses galore) on him.

At his best he is a very impressive goalkeeper.

I'm seeing Sky reporting Keylor Navas is available for ~£17m. If Wolves can attract Rui Patricio... could we move for Navas?

Speaking more realistically I'd absolutely love Butland but for anything more than £20m+ I'd rather we spend the money elsewhere and roll the dice on Kalinic/Steer. If Kalinic can find his feet I'm confident there's a prem level keeper there.

• Like 1