Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Have read through the last few pages of the thread with interest. I note posters mentioning Villa’s budget as if they have some idea what that budget is.

Personally I don’t think there is a set budget. I don’t think Villa’s new owners have stated as such to the manager. Due to those very deep pockets I believe the manager has been informed to provide a list of who he wants and the funding will be provided.

I think the whole transfer ideology of the club has changed however in that there will be no more journeymen brought in for one last payday. Those days are gone now and not a moment too soon. You could see that in the club’s release list.

Villa now have a very good ambitious manager who wants Villa to play the type of football we all want to see and he will buy players to fit that system rather than repeating the mistakes of previous managers.

Relax guys. Villa are in good hands now and will surprise a few in the PREMIERSHIP next season.

You were doing so well until the last three words.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dab said:

I'm seeing Sky reporting Keylor Navas is available for ~£17m. If Wolves can attract Rui Patricio... could we move for Navas?

Speaking more realistically I'd absolutely love Butland but for anything more than £20m+ I'd rather we spend the money elsewhere and roll the dice on Kalinic/Steer. If Kalinic can find his feet I'm confident there's a prem level keeper there.

As an FPL fanatic I can tell you Patricio was absolute garbage. I think they had 1 CS in 20 something games after week 8

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I agree with what you are saying, but I think people are more concerned about the amount we would be spending on a keeper taking up a lot of our budget, we aren't going to spend £20m on every player, if we do spend that much on one player people think it should probably be on a striker. They are just concerned the budget will be spent before we get around to the key areas.

I think our team know what they are doing, I also don't think we'll be throwing £20m at a keeper but I guess we will see!

I really hope that we don't have a fixed overall kitty - "here's £100m spend it how you like, Dean.  When it's gone, it's gone".  It will be discussed and agreed by position/player.  IF they've identified that we need to spend £15-20m on a keeper, that doesn't mean there's only £10m left for 4 outfield players.  There will be £xm for a DM, £ym for a LB and £zm for a forward.  You target specific players at a budget that stacks up to what you agree to spend overall.  Each signing is independent of the others.

And none of us have any idea what the budget is likely to be.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It is. It's a huge risk and gamble. I know a lot of people feel this team needs a lot of surgery. I don't. The team knows each other indie out and we have a lot of experienced premier league players probably more than the other two promoted clubs.

No we don't.

We have Elmo (165 appearances) & Taylor (131 appearances). Next closest to them is Chester with 60. Those 3 each averaged 75-85 minutes played per game . Grealish only made 34 appearances and averaged 48 minutes per game. Other than that there is very little PL experience left in our squad at all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

No we don't.

We have Elmo (165 appearances) & Taylor (131 appearances). Next closest to them is Chester with 60. Those 3 each averaged 75-85 minutes played per game . Grealish only made 34 appearances and averaged 48 minutes per game. Other than that there is very little PL experience left in our squad at all

and Chester might be broken.   

and Taylor might not actually be Premier League standard. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I can't see it. 140m is a huge amount of money and it would be reckless to spend that sort of money and potentially get relegated. Have we not learned anything form the past few years?

I think it might be half of that. 

People saying we are dead certs for relegation that's not always the case  look at Huddersfield they stayed up. We need  to strengthen no question but I don't think we are that bad a squad. 

I don't think Norwich or staff into are that much better than us either.

70 million buys you hazards right testicle these days. 

If we only spend 70M this window I think we could potentially be f**ked. The accountants amongst us will be very happy but the rest of the fans will not enjoy the season one bit. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

70 million buys you hazards right testicle these days. 

If we only spend 70M this window I think we could potentially be f**ked. The accountants amongst us will be very happy but the rest of the fans will not enjoy the season one bit. 

Given you can get the rest of him £18.5 million, i would seriously consider buying a testicle-less player.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I really hope that we don't have a fixed overall kitty - "here's £100m spend it how you like, Dean.  When it's gone, it's gone".  It will be discussed and agreed by position/player.  IF they've identified that we need to spend £15-20m on a keeper, that doesn't mean there's only £10m left for 4 outfield players.  There will be £xm for a DM, £ym for a LB and £zm for a forward.  You target specific players at a budget that stacks up to what you agree to spend overall.  Each signing is independent of the others.

And none of us have any idea what the budget is likely to be.

I agree, but one would imagine that there is a limit, it might not be a definite figure but at least a guideline to follow. We do not have an infinite amount of money to spend and we are not all of a sudden impervious to FFP. It would be poor management of the club to have an open chequebook policy, we need to be smart enough that if a worst case scenario happens the club is still in a financial position to survive.

I don't believe there is a limit to how much we can spend on a goalkeeper, but taking £20m out of our budget whatever it may be. means the remaining budget has been significantly lowered, with many important positions still needing to be filled.

I'm not saying we shouldn't spend £20m on Butland, I don't know what our budget is, I don't know what other deals are in the pipeline, but I think we should question the valuation of every player we are linked with and see if it offers value to our club.

I like Butland, I hope we sign him, but at a price that is good for us. Is he worth £20m? That's the real debate, and how much that £20m might effect the rest of our business this summer should be part of that conversation.

Sorry Drmitri, but I think you're having a Weston.

The squad doesn't need surgery because it died on the table already. We can save a few organs and transplant them into a bionic Frankenstein's Monster that will scare the shit out of the league.

We can barely put a team out as it is, and of that team, half are not fit for purpose.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Does anyone habe any insights in to where we are with Mings?

This scenario is getting rather......perplexing :)

He's on holiday, I imagine it will be announced once he's back.

The reports of the bid being accepted came after he left the UK I think so maybe he hasn't fully agreed personal terms yet.

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

and Chester might be broken.  

James Chester: Aston Villa defender hopes to beat injury and continue Wales career

By Owain Llyr BBC Sport Wales

James Chester hopes to carry on playing international football for Wales, even though he is going to have to manage a knee injury for the rest of his career.

The Aston Villa defender says he has damaged his knee "indefinitely".

The 30-year-old admits he put his career at risk earlier in the season by playing through the pain.

"It first occurred in the Wales-Denmark game (in November). I managed with it for two or three months. I was the only fit centre-half at the club," he said.

"But once January came around the club were able to bring in some really good players in my position. It allowed me to take some time out and hopefully I'll be ready to go for the start of next season."

Chester has not played a single minute of competitive football since January, but returned to training before the end of the season.

He had to watch from the stands as Villa secured promotion to the Premier League by beating Derby County 2-1 in the Championship Play-off final.

"With the injury I've had I was pleased just to be back involved before the season was out," Chester told BBC Sport Wales.

"With the rest I've had since the end of January, the injury has improved an awful lot. I'm not dealing with any pain at the moment. That's a huge bonus but with the type of injury it is it will need monitoring and perhaps I won't train as much as I always have done, to prolong my career."

Chester has won 35 caps for Wales since making his debut in a 2-0 friendly defeat against the Netherlands in 2014.

He played in every game at Euro 2016 as Chris Coleman's team reached the semi-final, where they lost 2-0 against Portugal.

"Since I made my debut for Wales, I've loved every minute of it," he said.

"I'm confident if I can get myself fit without pain, I can continue to play."

Chester will not be involved in the Euro 2020 qualifiers away against Croatia and Hungary next week, but believes Ryan Giggs' team can get two good results.

"Being so long after the season finished, and the quality of the opposition, it's going to be difficult," he added.

"We've proved time and time again we're capable of going to places like Croatia and Hungary and getting results."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48503502

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Your average football fan when spending £50k a week on Beye, Nige, and Sidwell.

"Not my money, don't worry about it."

Your average football fan when your club is run on a shoestring for half a decade following mismanaged spending.

"It's a disgrace, reckless, needless spending. How could this happen?"

Your average football fan when club is tookover and recklessly spends £15m on Hogan and Ross.

"Not my money, don't worry about it."

Your average football fan when your club goes within days of being liquidated.

"It's a disgrace, reckless, needless spending. How could this happen?"

Your average football fan when your club is tookover and demands £100m be spent in one summer....

Is the answer a load of strawmen?