Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Telling you guys, dont expect that many incoming for a while.  It will run to middle/end of July before we get the bulk of our players unfort

You’re right. I think I might need to take a complete break from football for a month. It’s consuming. 

19 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Good point. Seriously. None of your players go on to do any good. You're like the dodgy used car garage of the Championship. Avoid.

Exactly. Hogan was enough of a lesson, although Bruce kind of pissed his career, I still wouldn't be pleased if we pissed another £12m+ on another Brentford player who turned out to be a flop.

29 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think we will spend more than £100m, possibly up to £140m because we need to and our owners and FFP means we can afford to. We have to address 4 years of poor squad management and can’t afford to miss the opportunity of staying up, as we have found out, the cost of beinf]g away from the big table costs the club a fortune. 

Spending £100m doesn’t mean we have to mirror Fulham, they ripped the heart out of their first team, sacked their manager too soon and altered the playing style. Fundamentally their defence was poor, that’s the lesson here.

Agree with you on Tammy, whether we’ve already bought our forwards by then remains to be seen. Would love to buy Tammy, he’s one for the future.

Agree with this. We wont be doing a Fulham type spending spree. They failed in their attempt to build a squad without any planning imo! We now have a far better set up than in previous transfer windows....building a team for the present and the future! I now trust the people in charge to get this right!

Jota has been good for small heath easily their most creative player, and to be fair I think Harlee Dean has done okay for them as well. John Egan played most games for a Sheffield United side that got promoted automatically so presumably he must have been doing something right as well. I always thought that Wood going to Stoke was a strange signing for them, as the kind of football that Rowett plays isn't really going to see a player like him thrive.

We don't need to sign another 12-14 players. 

Of the players released only Adomah, Whelan, Hutton, Jedinak and Elphick were of any use whatsoever. 

Adomah and Hutton have already been replaced via Jota and Guilbert. Hause is in I'm sure, as it's El Ghazi. So assuming we can push Mings over the line we need another 2 centre halves and a defensive mid on top to complete replacing those who have been released. This depends on their assessment of Chester as a viable squad member, but for the sake of argument I'll write him off. So far then = 3 new signings plus Ty needed 

We will need a a striker obvs, a left back, another winger and perhaps another midfielder. Maybe then we're looking at taking a couple of flyers, on a back up striker say. So 7-9 signings (inc Mings minus Chester) is a more reasonable and sensible estimate I would think. It's still massive, but it's not 12-14 massive. 

It'll still take another £100m I imagine, it's just a lot less work and a lot less strain. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Butland would be a fantastic signing in my opinion. 

If we can get him for somewhere between £15-20m, and then offload Kalinic for £5-7m (apparently unsettled and wants to leave).

This would then be a £10-15m outlay on a 26 year old, English goalkeeper with potential to be the country's number one. It would sort us out in the goalkeeper department for years to come. If he does fulfill his full potential we could possibly sell him for double the value in the next few years.

Is it harsh on Jed Steer? Yes absolutely, he was brilliant in the second half of the season.

Do we have to be brutal with our recruitment now in order to stay in the PL and give it a good go? Yes 100%

• Like 3

If we were looking at paying 25 mill on Abraham but can't get him, I'd like us to go up to 30 mill for Rafael Leao from Lille although, they will probably not be willing to sell due to his potential. 

14 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Telling you guys, dont expect that many incoming for a while.  It will run to middle/end of July before we get the bulk of our players unfort

Personally I think that will be way too late. 

• Like 1

Has Butland been any good for Stoke the last season? Etheridge got a lot of good reviews last season in a shite Cardiff team and might prove better value at half the price. 

That Swedish keeper looked good last night, shame he's into just his second year at AS Roma. 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re right. I think I might need to take a complete break from football for a month. It’s consuming. 

Hahah, you are not getting off that lightly, you know this is not actually possible.

Lets face it we've got 60 days of anxiety and dissapointment over players we were never in for and we have never heard of.  

Edited by thunderball
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We don't need to sign another 12-14 players. 

Of the players released only Adomah, Whelan, Hutton, Jedinak and Elphick were of any use whatsoever. 

Adomah and Hutton have already been replaced via Jota and Guilbert. Hause is in I'm sure, as it's El Ghazi. So assuming we can push Mings over the line we need another 2 centre halves and a defensive mid on top to complete replacing those who have been released. This depends on their assessment of Chester as a viable squad member, but for the sake of argument I'll write him off. So far then = 3 new signings plus Ty needed 

We will need a a striker obvs, a left back, another winger and perhaps another midfielder. Maybe then we're looking at taking a couple of flyers, on a back up striker say. So 7-9 signings (inc Mings minus Chester) is a more reasonable and sensible estimate I would think. It's still massive, but it's not 12-14 massive. 

It'll still take another £100m I imagine, it's just a lot less work and a lot less strain. 

Most people are saying 10 

We've got assume that any outlay on a new goalkeeper will be offset by recouping all or most of what we spent on Kalinic, otherwise we wouldn't be buying one in the first place. £5m or £10m net to get Etheridge or Butland should be good value.

The average net spend of Premier League teams last summer transfer window was around ~£36m.

Just to stand still (by signing Hause, Mings and El Ghazi) we will like be spending around £25m. Safe to say we will be going above last year's average figure.

How much we go above that is another matter and depends entirely on how well we have scouted in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

😃I wonder if the massive step up in wages and size of clubs has an impact as they lose their desire as they think they have made it.

I’m sure that plays a part but I think it’s largely due to the step up in terms or size, scale and expectation at a Villa, or a Stoke for example 

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Personally I think that will be way too late. 

So do i, but thats the way it will be unless you pay over the odds.  Clubs hold on to their players to last minute to try and get an auction going.

Plop have shown the difference a top level keeper makes. I don't think we currently have one so rumours of a keeper don't suprise me.