Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

What's the point of making this huge investment into our scouting network if we're just going to drop big money on well known Championship players?  These journalists are extremely lazy with these links...

TBH, the only one I can see us dropping big money on is Benrahma, because he's injured and we might try to save a few million because of that fact.  

• Thanks 1

We’ve made a great start to the window in my opinion, we’ve boxed clever as Steve Bruce used to say with the deals we’ve done so far (both incomings and outgoings in my opinion). I think the need of at least one striker is evident with Abraham going back to Chelsea and seemingly not coming in here. Our current striking options are very poor by Premier League standard, I expect at least one marquee signing in this area. We also only currently have one fit senior centre back in Chester, again this needs to be addressed. I think the need of a quality DM is evident too, again I have no idea who that may be. There is lots of business left to be done

I have no problem signing championship players, just not for really stupid prices, fair yes, not stupid.

Some seem to think we can't build a team from the championship l and survive,  I think we actually can and might cause a few upsets in the premier with a squad build from some gems from the league down. I do think we need to find some real quality as well, we need to find a balance between that real costly quality and championship buy that we may think will cut it.

The rebuild was always going to be big and costly whether we buy from the championship, Europe or the prem. We have let a minimum of nine players go have we not, that is nine replacements we need to find not to mention the task of making the five loaners permanent which is looking less likely to happen. So far we have made two signings, one of which is one of our loaners (ghazi), another a winger (jota) which is really adomah's replacement. 

So really all in all we have another 12-14 players to find that's with our loan players. We can almost certainly take Axel and Tammy off that list, Hause is most likely the next deal done, so we can really bring that count down to 13 players we really need to find. One by one we will find them we have some time, we just need the patience. We may have to pay some big money for the likes of lolley, maupay, benrahma and bring the gems of the championship together, it might have to be a price we have to pay. 

I think the loan business has been costly to us, more costly than some would like to admit. Ghazi was rated five million when he first came here, now thanks to him playing good at our club and him coming along nicely, his deal has now been done for eight million. 

The Owners have deep pockets, I believe if the three amigo's on there whattsapp group have ideas of who they want to join us, where they are them as worth it, then the price should be of no concern should it. I've only questioned one signing since Smith joined us and that's Kalanic, yet was that 7 million really wasted because without that transfer would steer of stepped up like he did, who knows.

The wait is unbearable to find out who's joining is, that I do know..

• Like 1

I think I would like to see a bit more ambition shown from the club tbh. It's ok being linked to a few Championship players, like Butland and Benrahma who I do think are Prem quality, but we do need to dive a bit deeper into the European market as Wolves have done if we really want to make an impact next season in the Prem. I'm not bigging up Wolves, because I really don't like them, but they signed Deondocker, Jimenez, Jonny, Patricio and Moutinho when they went up - established big game players who have made an instant impact. We ain't gonna be anywhere near top half if we sign the players we've been linked to, in my honest opinion. Might stay up, but I don't think these signings really say 'wow, we mean business'.

I'm not trying to put a negative on things, because we all know Wolves have had an unfair helping hand, but I'm unsure with the money we have and finally a top management team that we can't attract better. The only really big name we have been linked to so far is the Uruguay striker in Spain.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think I would like to see a bit more ambition shown from We ain't gonna be anywhere near top half if we sign the players we've been linked to, in my honest opinion. Might stay up, but I don't think these signings really say 'wow, we mean business' 

Thing is I don't expect a top half finish. I am quite content by improving slowly. And as long as we survive next season I am happy. But if our plan is to buy championship players we will end up relegated.  If we want to re-establish the club in the top division we need to sign good enough players. Signing 1-2 squad players from the SPL or championship is fine, but making your big signings from a team like Brentford (not saying that with disrespect as I quite like that club), well that's how you end up in the championship permanently or every other season. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

On Nixon’s reliability. I’ve just been digging back through some tweets, and from what I can tell, he almost certainly ‘broke’ the following pieces of information:

- Villa after a new keeper

- Hepburn-Murphy going to Cambridge on loan

- Wolves bidding for Abraham

- Nyland injured in training and recalling Steer

(I’m sure there are more ‘juicy’ bits of news than these, but I’m not spending all night searching his tweets!)

Of those, I definitely remember Nixon being the first to mention we wanted a new keeper (which was shortly followed by numerous sources reporting an apparent bid for Etheridge) and I’m fairly certain he was the first to say Wolves wanted Tammy in Jan.

He did break the John Terry to Villa story last year too. He’s as reliable as anyone. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thing is I don't expect a top half finish. I am quite content by improving slowly. And as long as we survive next season I am happy. But if our plan is to buy championship players we will end up relegated.  If we want to re-establish the club in the top division we need to sign good enough players. Signing 1-2 squad players from the SPL or championship is fine, but making your big signings from a team like Brentford (not saying that with disrespect as I quite like that club), well that's how you end up in the championship permanently or every other season. 

I agree with you that getting excited by all Brentford players is hard. But tbh Benrahma and Moupay are in another level. For the right price, I'll be very happy with Benrahma as a starter. Maupay seem good but I think we will need height upfront (as Abraham).

If we can get a proper player, thats the main point. McGin came from SPL and he's better than any midfielder that we bought since we bought the snake I guess (even then he didn't fulfill his potential).

It's getting the right player for the system you're playing. Some players as Benteke are confidence players and depend on high balls with counter attacking football + being the main man. He lost all of that with Liverpool.

El Ghazi himself is a confidence player. Look at his performance in every game he scores, and how he starts building confidence.

If our scouts found McGin and El Ghazi where Bruce signed them, with signing Abraham and Tuanzebe, I think we're in a good hands.

I guess you'd be happy with Abraham and Tuanzebe, in reality they're only proven in the championship. (Abraham had a run at PL though).

Everyone of us will be happy if we had:

Grealish, McGin, El Ghazi, Mings, Tuanzebe and Abraham as a starters. Yet all of them are championship players (proven at that level). 

What's make other players down there different from them? 

I could name a list of 8 players who used to be regular with us some of the seasons and kept us up which you won't touch them at all, yet they're called Premier League players.

Ashley Westwood and Jonathan Hogg (not sure about this) were captains for their teams last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I have no problem signing championship players, just not for really stupid prices, fair yes, not stupid.

Some seem to think we can't build a team from the championship l and survive,  I think we actually can and might cause a few upsets in the premier with a squad build from some gems from the league down. I do think we need to find some real quality as well, we need to find a balance between that real costly quality and championship buy that we may think will cut it.

The rebuild was always going to be big and costly whether we buy from the championship, Europe or the prem. We have let a minimum of nine players go have we not, that is nine replacements we need to find not to mention the task of making the five loaners permanent which is looking less likely to happen. So far we have made two signings, one of which is one of our loaners (ghazi), another a winger (jota) which is really adomah's replacement. 

So really all in all we have another 12-14 players to find that's with our loan players. We can almost certainly take Axel and Tammy off that list, Hause is most likely the next deal done, so we can really bring that count down to 13 players we really need to find. One by one we will find them we have some time, we just need the patience. We may have to pay some big money for the likes of lolley, maupay, benrahma and bring the gems of the championship together, it might have to be a price we have to pay. 

I think the loan business has been costly to us, more costly than some would like to admit. Ghazi was rated five million when he first came here, now thanks to him playing good at our club and him coming along nicely, his deal has now been done for eight million. 

The Owners have deep pockets, I believe if the three amigo's on there whattsapp group have ideas of who they want to join us, where they are them as worth it, then the price should be of no concern should it. I've only questioned one signing since Smith joined us and that's Kalanic, yet was that 7 million really wasted because without that transfer would steer of stepped up like he did, who knows.

The wait is unbearable to find out who's joining is, that I do know..

Page 1 of the El Ghazi thread Duncan Castles says it’s a €2m loan with an €8m option to buy which is what I think it was in the end, just FYI. The point of an option to buy like that is that the price is fixed (versus the Mings deal where we will certainly have to pay more than we would have in Jan).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thejoker said:

He did break the John Terry to Villa story last year too. He’s as reliable as anyone. 

He reminds me of that saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day". No doubt he gets something right when he says a lot of crap all the time. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He reminds me of that saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day". No doubt he gets something right when he says a lot of crap all the time. 

Feel free to share all the crap he has posted. 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd be amazed if we were likely to pay 20m on a keeper when we need a striker more.

Me too...we have 2 good keepers. I'd expect us to get our money back on kalinic at least but 20m is silly money.