Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

46 minutes ago, tonitottakai said:

Maybe I'm just blinded by his terrific performance against Bosnia and Herzegovina over the last weekend (plus, I'm obviously biased as he's Finnish) but Glen Kamara has bags of potential and is only 23 years old, too. Could be a nice addition to the CDM slot? Slippy Steve has also been bigging him up for his displays for Rangers last season. Obligatory YT video:

Good player with good potential... You get my seal of approval. Impressed me a lot 18/19 season.. Good suggestion @tonitottakai

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's not that I necessarily *want* us to spend £100m. It's more a case of knowing that realistically we have to.

It's all well and good pointing to a club like Brentford and asking why can't we also find these players for £3m who quadruple in value, until you remember that they consistently finish mid table in the Championship. 

I've still been keeping an eye on the Premier League. £30m is what good Premier League strikers cost if you want a relatively 'sure thing', and would it not be ideal to add at least one of these? Mings is going to cost £15m, don't we need another 2 or 3 Tyrone Mings?

I think those fans who think we can get by via bargain bin signings and moneyball scouting alone are living in a dream world. We need to strike a balance between the two strategies.

If the club think otherwise and that they can do this on the cheap, I think they're wrong. 

Yep, I’m all for bargain buys and the like, but I can’t see how it’s not going to cost around £100m or more.

It looks like Hause is incoming, hopefully Mings too. If we add that to the El Ghazi and Jota signings, then we’ve spent what? By most estimates it take our spendings to around £25m and what have we improved upon from the play off final squad? Ultimately an upgrade on Adomah. That’s not a criticism, I’m delighted we’re looking at making Mings, El Ghazi and Hause permanent signings. Just pointing out how much it’s (potentially) going to cost to just preserve the squad so far.

After those four there’s probably a left back, another centre half, a defensive midfielder, another winger, a striker (maybe two), this keeper talk won’t go away so maybe there as well. That’s 7 further players and I think I’m being conservative there.

I think we’ll spend a lot, there may be a misstep or two, but as long as the majority is spent wisely, which I think it will be I really don’t care what the final number is.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Larscapaldi said:

Baffling. Being foreign I've had a lot of those situations when wearing my shirt, people often think I'm a West Ham fan. They obviously don't know anything about football...

43 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

This happened to me a few times in Devon!

Gosh, if that happens to us a few times Imagine how annoying it must be being a West Ham fan to be constantly asked if you are a Villa fan thousands of times wherever you go.  Must wind them up no end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just absurd to focus on a goalkeeper when we need basically every other position more. 

You can do more than one deal at once. If a goalkeeper we want is potentially available why wouldn’t we make enquiries? Doesn’t mean we aren’t discussing other transfers as well. 

We call them reckless owner so if they were only dealing with one transfer position at a time.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Gosh, if that happens to us a few times Imagine how annoying it must be being a West Ham fan to be constantly asked if you are a Villa fan thousands of times wherever you go.  Must wind them up no end.

Well, they did get the colours from us after a game of football went wrong many moons ago.

• Like 2

When Purslow said that we would have a policy of buying young talented players with the right mentality to develop so that they had sell on value, we were in the Championship. When he and Smith were interviewed after the play off promotion Purslow said that we were actually a season ahead of where they thought we would be.

Planning to get out of the Championship, and planning to stay in the Premier League and thrive are two totally different scenarios. Our plans will be changed by the opportunities that arise almost on a daily basis. It's not so orderly in comparison to the original slightly slower development plan, but neither is it constrained by Championship FFP and an inability to spend large amounts as would have been the case without our amazing surge over 15 games which grabbed an unlikely promotion.

I think that we have to get our 'fan heads' around the enormous difference between the pragmatic plan that was necessary for remaining in the EFL for another season, and the much more expensive plan needed for our exciting new and somewhat unexpected situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Think the same with Gomez, both us and West Ham have been linked with him....I’m guessing it’s just one of us

I imagine there's usually a clutch of similar size clubs (though we need to stay up and consolidate for a few years before we truly deserve being mentioned in links alongside the mighty West Ham) who get linked to the same players. It could be agents too. I just can't imagine the conversation where people mix up Aston Villa and West Ham in relation to transfers because of the colours. 

'Hey Sergio, have you heard about that Fornals guy—he's going to the red and blue team.'

'Oh, Aston Villa.'

'I don't know. A red and blue team.'

Bit silly but it's never going to happen like that. You'd say the team name a million times before you said the colours.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I imagine there's usually a clutch of similar size clubs (though we need to stay up and consolidate for a few years before we truly deserve being mentioned in links alongside the mighty West Ham) who get linked to the same players. It could be agents too. I just can't imagine the conversation where people mix up Aston Villa and West Ham in relation to transfers because of the colours. 

'Hey Sergio, have you heard about that Fornals guy—he's going to the red and blue team.'

'Oh, Aston Villa.'

'I don't know. A red and blue team.'

Bit silly but it's never going to happen like that. You'd say the team name a million times before you said the colours.

off topic but who was that player city signed that thought he was signing for man u until he got off the plane before he realised it was for city? one of their first big signings...ridiculous

Just now, tomav84 said:

off topic but who was that player city signed that thought he was signing for man u until he got off the plane before he realised it was for city? one of their first big signings...ridiculous

Robinho?

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Robinho, but.....jesus.......shows what some players are like these days......

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Listening to Simon Jordan on the subject of FFP he explained that the actual amount paid for a player does not immediately affect the balance sheet as the player becomes an asset on one side and his cost a negative on the other side. It is the wages and amortization that affect FFP. amorization means that a players asset value is written down by dividing his cost by the length of his contract. Therefore this is the type of calculation the club would make when working out how much they could spend in terms of transfer fees paid. And breathe!!!

Yes, this is how they do it. A players "cost" is amortised over the period of his contract. So if he cost £20m and is on a 4yr deal he costs us £5m in transfer 'cost' in this season, his wages are taken elsewhere. We are only allowed to make certain losses in our first PL season, but on this basis we can "lose" £39m or so this season. 

1 hour ago, tonitottakai said:

Maybe I'm just blinded by his terrific performance against Bosnia and Herzegovina over the last weekend (plus, I'm obviously biased as he's Finnish) but Glen Kamara has bags of potential and is only 23 years old, too. Could be a nice addition to the CDM slot? Slippy Steve has also been bigging him up for his displays for Rangers last season. Obligatory YT video:

Would be a great signing. Young, mobile definsive mid. Him, Mcginn and Grealish in the midfield could work.

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Who?  The same 3, elmo with 85 for egypt, Chester & Taylor have played 30-40 for Wales, Mcginn has played a few games for scotland, Hogan has played a couple of friendlies for ROI, Hourihane has played a handful for ROI, Thor has played loads for iceland, Kodija has played less than 20 for ivory coast & kalinic has played less than 20 for croatia.

Most of these players won't even be on the bench next year, let alone part of the reguar starting 11

So most of the squad then 😂