Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 minutes ago, Wes said:

Which, in my following sentences which you have not quoted, I was agreeing with.

Yeah I know mate. What I was saying was in support of you. Not arguing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I think we will spend more than £100m, possibly up to £140m because we need to and our owners and FFP means we can afford to. We have to address 4 years of poor squad management and can’t afford to miss the opportunity of staying up, as we have found out, the cost of beinf]g away from the big table costs the club a fortune. 

Spending £100m doesn’t mean we have to mirror Fulham, they ripped the heart out of their first team, sacked their manager too soon and altered the playing style. Fundamentally their defence was poor, that’s the lesson here.

Agree with you on Tammy, whether we’ve already bought our forwards by then remains to be seen. Would love to buy Tammy, he’s one for the future.

I can't see it. 140m is a huge amount of money and it would be reckless to spend that sort of money and potentially get relegated. Have we not learned anything form the past few years?

I think it might be half of that. 

People saying we are dead certs for relegation that's not always the case  look at Huddersfield they stayed up. We need  to strengthen no question but I don't think we are that bad a squad. 

I don't think Norwich or staff into are that much better than us either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can't see it. 140m is a huge amount of money and it would be reckless to spend that sort of money and potentially get relegated. Have we not learned anything form the past few years?

People saying we are dead certs for relegation that's not always the case  look at Huddersfield they stayed up. We need  to strengthen no question but I don't think we are that bad a squad. 

The biggest problem with Villa has always been wages not transfer fees. Providing that players we buy have relatively good relegation wage reduction clauses then there's no issue with us spending a load of money now. We pretty much need to. It's a very different scenario to Fulham. 

41 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Has Butland been any good for Stoke the last season? Etheridge got a lot of good reviews last season in a shite Cardiff team and might prove better value at half the price. 

That Swedish keeper looked good last night, shame he's into just his second year at AS Roma. 

He's 2nd choice there now and will be sold in the summer if they can find a buyer.

He's not had a great season there thou, very up and down

• Like 1

I think we will see a number of signings for an "undisclosed" fee this summer. The club are going to have a challenge to stay up next year and will not want the added burden of everyone knowing how much they have spent, in the same way the £100m spent by Fulham was constantly used as a stick to beat them with

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think I would like to see a bit more ambition shown from the club tbh. It's ok being linked to a few Championship players, like Butland and Benrahma who I do think are Prem quality, but we do need to dive a bit deeper into the European market as Wolves have done if we really want to make an impact next season in the Prem. I'm not bigging up Wolves, because I really don't like them, but they signed Deondocker, Jimenez, Jonny, Patricio and Moutinho when they went up - established big game players who have made an instant impact. We ain't gonna be anywhere near top half if we sign the players we've been linked to, in my honest opinion. Might stay up, but I don't think these signings really say 'wow, we mean business'.

I'm not trying to put a negative on things, because we all know Wolves have had an unfair helping hand, but I'm unsure with the money we have and finally a top management team that we can't attract better. The only really big name we have been linked to so far is the Uruguay striker in Spain.  

Very early in the window. Let's not believe all the spurious links. Let's judge at the end of the window when we know who we have actually signed.

• Like 2

I think one of the main differences between us and Fulham, is that we have to spend around £100m.

We have to bring in the loan players from last year, that costs money, we have to replace the guys we've released, that costs money, we need to improve the first team to a Premier League level, that costs a lot of money, we need to do a lot of business, we don't really have a choice.

Fulham had a pretty settled squad when they came up, a few loans they needed to bring in but not as many as us, they didn't release too many, they had a squad. At the start of this window we couldn't even put out a team! Their need was not as great as ours.

They spent their money badly, focusing on attackers and midfielders where they were actually pretty strong already, and neglecting their defence which needed upgrading, they bought too many in to the first team too soon and really struggled to integrate so many, then they sacked their manager... so they had to start all over again... It was a right old mess. 

Thankfully it seems like we have been planning for this situation, Dean Smith has a good record of integrating a large number of players quickly, our manager has a say on signings, passes on what he needs to the board and they go from there rather than having players bought over his head like at Fulham. 

I'm sure we are looking for value which may bring the total down some, but we can't afford to be too cheap when it comes to quality, it costs money and we need some.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:
So West Ham and Villa are apparently both in for Lopez and Fornals. I suspect someone somewhere is getting the claret and blue teams mixed up lol

Especially since both clubs have been linked with Lobotka and Maxi Gomez as well

10 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I won free tickets to that game.  Was sat in the lower DE stand beside the north, when lower north was the away end.  Wimbledon fans gave it the bigun when they went one up, by half time they were singing "we want 10" - the wimbledon fans were awesome!

There was around 80 to 100 of them that's all and quite a few of them  did the Congo around the Lower North Stand when 6-1 & 7-1 down 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

There was around 80 to 100 of them that's all and quite a few of them  did the Congo around the Lower North Stand when 6-1 & 7-1 down 

I remember them doing the conga, I'd never seen anything like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd be amazed if we were likely to pay 20m on a keeper when we need a striker more.

I agree that we desperately need two strikers more than a keeper, splash the money on the strikers first and splash on Mings ffs it's driving me nuts just wondering.

56 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Although we could afford it, unless were top 8 I wouldn't want us to start splashing that kind of cash on one player, it's crazy for a newly promoted side..

Let them call us dead certs, we will show them season come, I said some months ago. This league will be looking to sink us but we have the element of surprise and they think we are done before we've started, could be there biggest mistake.

Look how the championship said we was out of the whole playoff chase, yet we went on to make history and get promoted, more fool them..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Just because Fulham spent £100m and failed doesn't mean we will. 

Quite. It's a lesson to learn from, if anything. Spending money for the sake of it is bad news, shrewd investment and getting the right players in is not.

• Like 2

This is all just finger in the air stuff but I think we need to spend 80m to stay up and 120m+ to push on. 
It's all well and good signing your Benrahma's/Butlands for 15/20m but this needs to be complimented with some cheap foreign players in the 5-10m bracket who can adapt to the premier league. 

I agree with a previous poster that I think Hause and Mings will probably get done in the next couple of weeks but a lot of our activity will be in Mid-Late July. The wait is frustrating!

14 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Just because Fulham spent £100m and failed doesn't mean we will. 

Agreed. They spent badly. 4 middling PL players alone now costs £100m. Assuming Mings is the best part of £20m, we have already spent about £12m and a decent keeper is going to cost between £10-20m, you can see how it adds up very fast and that’s without signing a striker. We then need IMO at least another RB, CB, another LB and a CM.

Fulham bought badly. They did a “Villa” by signing the likes of Schurle and a bunch of useless filler. We can rely on our promotion team to more of an extent than they did but to think we can rely on the bulk of our current team and stay up is madness. We scraped promotion with a team full of loanees so we would be mad to not spend big.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Although we could afford it, unless were top 8 I wouldn't want us to start splashing that kind of cash on one player, it's crazy for a newly promoted side..

Let them call us dead certs, we will show them season come, I said some months ago. This league will be looking to sink us but we have the element of surprise and they think we are done before we've started, could be there biggest mistake.

Look how the championship said we was out of the whole playoff chase, yet we went on to make history and get promoted, more fool them..

It is. It's a huge risk and gamble. I know a lot of people feel this team needs a lot of surgery. I don't. The team knows each other indie out and we have a lot of experienced premier league players probably more than the other two promoted clubs.

We need to additions no question but I think 140m would be crazy and suicidal for our future. Let's build a quality side but let's do it properly.  First step is stay up and then slowly establish ourselves as a pl club again