Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We should buy Snoddy from west ham now..

No, 31 years old which doesn't fit into what we are trying to do. He's also a very limited winger, much better out there (Benrahma for a start)

• Like 2

Max Kruse on a free transfer?

Wrong age at 31 but had 11 goals and 10 assist for Werder Bremen this season.

Plop not interested anymore since Origi has impressed Klopp (or so says the press)

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We should buy Snoddy from west ham now..

He was struggling with us in a lot of games. Love him as a character and a cheap fantasy player that worked out early and then was a must sell last season in FPL but just no

Edited by Kiwivillan

Spending money hasn’t been the problem and won’t be this summer. Our problems have all arisen from the way in which we’ve spent it. It’s pretty obvious that the lessons have been learned and the new owners and management team have an entirely different approach. 

Even during the first money-ball era, the much derided Paddy Reilly ( I think that’s his name), picked a lot of decent players that have left us and gone on to have good careers. The problem is we were a poorly run club with no coherent strategy throughout the club. That isn’t the case now. We know we need to invest but we now know how to invest and how to make the best of that investment. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Just because Fulham spent £100m and failed doesn't mean we will. 

I totally agree with this. It is ridiculous to think that the same fate would await us. The truth is, if we don’t spend £100m we have a much greater chance of failure than if we do spend £100m. Fulham made poor acquisitions and left themselves with a poorly balanced squad. They then rather foolishly sacked a very good manager, replaced him with another and then sacked him too!

Compare the above to our position. The beating heart of our promotion winning team,  Jack, Super John, Mings and AEG will still be here backed up ably by Chester, Hause, Elmo, Conner et al. We are being linked with and actively seeking recruitment that will balance our squad effectively. We have owners and a CEO who make sensible decisions and are unlikely to remove Smith from his position regardless of what happens this season.

I remember Watford getting promoted and then basically buying an entire new team. I think they ended up finishing in the top 10. Spending the money is not the problem here. The key is to invest wisely. The Jota deal is a great example of this. He was priced fairly low compared to his potential. He can play in a number of roles. He knows the manager well. We only gave him a 2 year contract which is akin to saying, prove to us that you deserve more. We will either sell him for a greater fee next year or give him a new contract that reflects his performances over the season. Win win. 

Enjoy the ride. Things have not been this positive for years.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yes it does

Fulham failed because they signed that fraud Ranieri who's given way too much credit for Pearson's and amazing scouts Leicester team

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

From what they have already said I believe our owners want more than just staying up. They want to compete in the league. I'm sure money is no object now and they are well versed in running successful sports franchises. These guys mean business. They have bought the club cleverly and at the right time and they have had that bit of luck ( promotion through the play-offs)  and they will grasp the nettle now. Since promotion the club has acted in a totally professional manner, releasing players that could not have taken us to a new level. Now we are linked with an expensive goalkeeper when fans are thinking we have a good one anyway. Well this is telling me where the owners are trying to be. It will be very interesting to see what actually happens with regards to new players but these guys are not messing about. Expect some big figures! We are Aston Villa and Aston Villa are back-Big Time!!!

Edited by pintpotvilla
spelling
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I agree that we desperately need two strikers more than a keeper, splash the money on the strikers first and splash on Mings ffs it's driving me nuts just wondering.

Does it have to be said every transfer season? - signings don't come in order of priority! If we buy a new keeper it is because that deal was available and right. It does not mean that a striker is less important or now won't happen. 

Deals are worked on concurrently but some are easier than others to get done. Can depend on player and agent availability, replacements down the chain etc. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

Does it have to be said every transfer season? - signings don't come in order of priority! If we buy a new keeper it is because that deal was available and right. It does not mean that a striker is less important or now won't happen. 

Deals are worked on concurrently but some are easier than others to get done. Can depend on player and agent availability, replacements down the chain etc. 

yup - our biggest target at £30mil might be done within a week, and a squad player at £3mil might be a 2 month saga. 

There isn't a rule for this.

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Even during the first money-ball era, the much derided Paddy Reilly ( I think that’s his name), picked a lot of decent players that have left us and gone on to have good careers. The problem is we were a poorly run club with no coherent strategy throughout the club. That isn’t the case now. We know we need to invest but we now know how to invest and how to make the best of that investment. 

100% this

We held a fire sale of these players after relegation in order to receive money in and clear the wage bill. If we had held on to the fact that these players were still going to become good players going forwards we could have inserted sell on clauses in.

25% sell on clauses could have potentially brought in: 

Jordan Veretout - Interest from Arsenal & Napoli for £30m - 25% £7.5m

Idrissa Gueye - Interest from PSG for £30m - 25$ £7.5m

Jordan Amavi - Hasn't yet lived up to the potential but still time.

• Like 1

Just now, rubberman said:

I agree with what you are saying, but I think people are more concerned about the amount we would be spending on a keeper taking up a lot of our budget, we aren't going to spend £20m on every player, if we do spend that much on one player people think it should probably be on a striker. They are just concerned the budget will be spent before we get around to the key areas.

I think our team know what they are doing, I also don't think we'll be throwing £20m at a keeper but I guess we will see!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Has Butland been any good for Stoke the last season? Etheridge got a lot of good reviews last season in a shite Cardiff team and might prove better value at half the price. 

That Swedish keeper looked good last night, shame he's into just his second year at AS Roma. 

He was the Stoke fans player of the season. Pretty unusual for a keeper. The rest of their team must be poor. 

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

I'm hearing a few ppl suggesting it's irresponsible for us to spend 100m plus in case we're relegated.

You can turn that on its head say it's irresponsible to spurn an opportunity to solidify ourself in the top flight again. Its not easy to get promoted. I think we all know that, right?

We have very, very wealthy owners who look like they want to compete. Lots of ideas to generate extra revenue to facilitate that too. Let them do it and don't stress. If we go into the season with a weak squad it will be a travesty. We have to spend and we can and we will.  

We've done fabulous business so far. AEG Hause and Jota for reported 16 million total is an absolute steal in terms of PL money and... yes they all are capable of the step up

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I'm hearing a few ppl suggesting it's irresponsible for us to spend 100m plus in case we're relegated.

You can turn that on its head say it's irresponsible to spurn an opportunity to solidify ourself in the top flight again. Its not easy to get promoted. I think we all know that, right?

We have very, very wealthy owners who look like they want to compete. Lots of ideas to generate extra revenue to facilitate that too. Let them do it and don't stress. If we go into the season with a weak squad it will be a travesty. We have to spend and we can and we will.  

Nail on the head Mazrim, nail on the head!

• Like 3

We still have just under 2 months left before the transfer window closes .... but .... we have less than a month before the players are back for pre season training. I don't expect all our signings done in the next four weeks, but we need the nucleus of our first team and bench in place in order to gel as a unit before the big day on August 10th. Given the number of players who have either been released or returned to their respective clubs after loans, we are working to a much tighter deadline than normal.

• Like 3

I don't think spending well over £100mil is reckless. Even if we spend £150mil, as long as we spend it well and it keeps us in the Prem next season, that is money well invested. Of course you could flip the other side of the coin and say well if we go down, we could be in trouble, but if we invest in young players with resale value then we should be able to recoup a fair chunk of that money anyway (if we go down, which I don't think we will if we invest wisely).

Jack Butland for £20mil I actually think is a good deal. We need a good spine and I don't think Steer is PL quality. I also think Butland is good enough to displace Pickford as England's no. 1, partly because Pickford isn't actually that good, but even so. And we could then demand three times what we paid if he becomes England's no. 1.

I think we need to spend big in many areas, not just striker. Goalkeeper, defensive midfielder, centre back. We need quality players in key areas to ensure we can compete next season, and that will cost if the players are actually any good. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It is. It's a huge risk and gamble. I know a lot of people feel this team needs a lot of surgery. I don't. The team knows each other indie out and we have a lot of experienced premier league players probably more than the other two promoted clubs.

We need to additions no question but I think 140m would be crazy and suicidal for our future. Let's build a quality side but let's do it properly.  First step is stay up and then slowly establish ourselves as a pl club again 

Dude, not a comment on your post but you need to change your tag line at the bottom of your posts!