Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd be amazed if we were likely to pay 20m on a keeper when we need a striker more.

I think we need more than just a striker.

If we are looking at throwing £20m at a keeper from Championship.. I'd like to think more exciting signings will be following to top this.

Again, all speculation though so plenty of pinches of salt to be taken in this window.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we need more than just a striker.

If we are looking at throwing £20m at a keeper from Championship.. I'd like to think more exciting signings will be following to top this.

Again, all speculation though so plenty of pinches of salt to be taken in this window.

Depends how much the owners are willing to spend. I don't think they will go up to 100m like Fulham did as we have to ensure we don't go reckless if we go down then the efl will make a example of us.

I think if we are going to make a marquee 20m signing has to be a striker.i do think Tammy will be available in January though as I can't see him being good enough for Chelsea. 

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd be amazed if we were likely to pay 20m on a keeper when we need a striker more.

Why does spending £20m on a keeper preclude us from buying a striker or spending big on a striker (or 2)?

• Like 1

When Gregg Evans comes out with a rumour that's not been talked about much elsewhere, and has sort of come out nowhere, then there's often some truth to it, so I believe him on this one. Also I think signing someone like Butland would make perfect sense, as he's a top rate goalkeeper, and if you get that position right they say it can be worth 10 to 15 points. So if a signing like this ended up being the difference between survival and relegation then it would be well worth it. Might be harsh on Steer but we have to be realistic, using Wolves as an example again, Ruddy did a brilliant job for them in the Championship but come the summer they signed Patrício and he played a big part in them having the good season that they had.

• Like 1

Its actually quite worrying how many players who played in the final will actually start in the premier league.

We won't get away with a new starting 11 who have never played with each other, there has to be some consistency between this season and the next.

Apart from Mings, Mcginn, Grealish and El Gazi i'm struggling to see who else will do it. I feel like Steer has earned his chance to be honest, not sure why we are so keen on yet another new goalkeeper. 

23 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

If we're buying a Stoke player Id rather it was Ryan Woods

Yet another example of a Brentford player who moved on and failed to impress.Was our player of the year then left for Stoke who paid 7 mill and has failed to hold down a starting place under 2 managers.I think after your similar experience with Hogan best you give our players a big swerve 😉

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Depends how much the owners are willing to spend. I don't think they will go up to 100m like Fulham did as we have to ensure we don't go reckless if we go down then the efl will make a example of us.

I think if we are going to make a marquee 20m signing has to be a striker.i do think Tammy will be available in January though as I can't see him being good enough for Chelsea. 

I think we will spend more than £100m, possibly up to £140m because we need to and our owners and FFP means we can afford to. We have to address 4 years of poor squad management and can’t afford to miss the opportunity of staying up, as we have found out, the cost of beinf]g away from the big table costs the club a fortune. 

Spending £100m doesn’t mean we have to mirror Fulham, they ripped the heart out of their first team, sacked their manager too soon and altered the playing style. Fundamentally their defence was poor, that’s the lesson here.

Agree with you on Tammy, whether we’ve already bought our forwards by then remains to be seen. Would love to buy Tammy, he’s one for the future.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just absurd to focus on a goalkeeper when we need basically every other position more. 

Eh. Genuinely absurd to presume we're only focusing on a goalkeeper. If you mean 'absurd to focus so much money on a goalkeeper' I guess they'll have worked out their budget and know what they can afford—that would be a pretty obvious, logical thing for them to do. Also absurd is believing every single transfer rumour is 100% true. Maybe all this is your point though, 'absurd to believe we're focusing that much money on a goalkeeper'?

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Yet another example of a Brentford player who moved on and failed to impress.Was our player of the year then left for Stoke who paid 7 mill and has failed to hold down a starting place under 2 managers.I think after your similar experience with Hogan best you give our players a big swerve 😉

Good point. Seriously. None of your players go on to do any good. You're like the dodgy used car garage of the Championship. Avoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Why does spending £20m on a keeper preclude us from buying a striker or spending big on a striker (or 2)?

Well if we spending below £100m - say £80m - Mings, Jota, El ghazi  - eats up £30m  - spend £30m on a striker - and thats only 20m for the rest of the team. 

I've never been a huge fan of Butland, but he still gets in most England squads despite playing in the Champ (and Stoke had a pretty terrible season). You would have to expect if he is coming in Klanic and one of Steer/ Nyland must be moving on. For me he is a better keeper that what we have to would be happy with the squad improvement. 

I also agree with what others are saying, we can't let Steer start the season if DS doesn't think he is good enough. The first 10 games are essential if you want to stay up in terms of points and momentum. 

DS has so much work to do this summer, so many players have already gone so a huge change in the playing staff happening in the next month. I have total faith in DS to work his magic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Good point. Seriously. None of your players go on to do any good. You're like the dodgy used car garage of the Championship. Avoid.

😃I wonder if the massive step up in wages and size of clubs has an impact as they lose their desire as they think they have made it.

I do wonder how confident the club really are in their plan. The task looks so daunting.   As it currently stands I’d put as us favourites for relegation.  

Obviously that should all change once the season starts and the transfer business has been done.

1 minute ago, Brentfordnylons said:

😃I wonder if the massive step up in wages and size of clubs has an impact as they lose their desire as they think they have made it.

It is a bit of a conundrum.

If there's something at Brentford getting the absolute best out of players who actually aren't that good then why aren't you finishing higher in the league?