Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Maybe I'm just blinded by his terrific performance against Bosnia and Herzegovina over the last weekend (plus, I'm obviously biased as he's Finnish) but Glen Kamara has bags of potential and is only 23 years old, too. Could be a nice addition to the CDM slot? Slippy Steve has also been bigging him up for his displays for Rangers last season. Obligatory YT video:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KH** said:

I think we’d be stupid to rule out using the loan market 

i agree...it would be quite a stubborn stance that they took. i get it, why should we develop others' youngsters. but unfortunately, it could be the only way we can obtain players of a certain calibre.

maybe if we cannot get our main transfer targets and we have no other choice

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

Marca reporting Fornals set to join West Ham for 27m Euros. As mentioned by others previously, I think the tenuous link to us that appeared yesterday was a shirt-colour/lost-in-translation moment by someone.

Baffling. Being foreign I've had a lot of those situations when wearing my shirt, people often think I'm a West Ham fan. They obviously don't know anything about football...

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I fear it’s an impossible task :(

Its hard, yes. But not impossible.

We’ve released 10 but in reality, only Whelan and Adomah who were playing regulary.

Adomah is already been replaced.

Its the loanees and additions that really needs to be addressed.

If we sorted Mings and House. I guess we’ll be st,rw,dm,cb and lb away from an ok PL team. Its not that we have to replace all those 10 squad players.

Yes we’ll need a CM and ST as backups. But those we could get abroad who could be the gens we were waiting to see in VP. Without having to gamble on them as our only options.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Larscapaldi said:

Baffling. Being foreign I've had a lot of those situations when wearing my shirt, people often think I'm a West Ham fan. They obviously don't know anything about football...

*insert David Cameron joke here*

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i agree...it would be quite a stubborn stance that they took. i get it, why should we develop others' youngsters. but unfortunately, it could be the only way we can obtain players of a certain calibre.

Yes we’re developing players for others. But this year it meant promotion for us. We wouldn’t have been up if it wasn’t for loans.

Yes we can’t keep depending on loans, but we need to use it to fill the gaps or add some quality with a small amount of money and with financial risks. It also buys you time to find replacements.

10 minutes ago, Wes said:

Marca reporting Fornals set to join West Ham for 27m Euros. As mentioned by others previously, I think the tenuous link to us that appeared yesterday was a shirt-colour/lost-in-translation moment by someone.

You're right West Ham translates to Aston Villa in Spanish. Dumb foreigners. Option 3 newspapers make shit up. 

6 minutes ago, Larscapaldi said:

This happened to me a few times in Devon!

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If you listen to the Jonny Gould podcast with Dave Jordan (@YorkshireAVFC), he analysed our FFP situation and concluded that conservatively we have circa £140m to spend this window next season without encroaching in PL profitability and sustainability rules. This assumes we finish 20th and don't improve on our commercial deals and don't sell anyone.

This sets the logical marker, however our owners could spend double that out of their own pocket if unconstrained. Add into this the release of out of contract, elderly players and deadwood and return of loans, we do need 8-10 players of a decent quality to improve our squad bearing in mind we finished 5th in the Championship last season. So it not really rocket science to 

TBH I think we have made a good start: El Ghazi, Hause and Jota are all decent squad members for £15m, so there's 3 already, so the average spend is £5m so far. If we get Mings for £15m that's another good value signing. Just need some free transfers/out of contract and maybe a good season loan.

Yes, I did, and I read Dave Jordan’s Full analysis. Very interesting. It’s pretty clear that it’s feasible for them to spend a lot more than £100m if they want to.

In the end though, the only people in a position to know what we can spend this season, and who know what they are budgeting for the following seasons, are the owners.

Which is why I find it odd that in debating players people constantly refer to our budget. I guess I shouldn’t find such things odd these days.

Now, some might want the Owners to spend loads, some might hope for caution.

But those saying “ we can’t spend ‘x’ % of our budget on that player”, or “ anyone hoping for big spending will be disappointed” are just as much in the dark as those that hope for massive investment.

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think it was more not loaning players without an option to buy rather than no loans at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Purslow has stated definitively that we won’t take anyone on loan.

He hasn't. He's stated definitively that we won't take anyone on loan without an option to buy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Agreed, but I think those fans who want us to spend £30m on players, £100m net spend and make some marquee signings don't really realise where this club is at right now and what it took to get back here.

Would it be exciting - it sure would. Would it be sensible - no it wouldn't.
"but these owners mean business" I hear you cry - so did Randy and Tony.

There is an increasing reliance on rich benefactors, the best thing for this club is for this club to spend sensibly, if it means risking a slog of a relegation battle then so be it.

We have to build half a team and more, and get results from the off with unfamiliar faces. It's already going to be a relegation battle no matter what we spend.

Some people are going to be very, very disappointed I feel.

It's not that I necessarily *want* us to spend £100m. It's more a case of knowing that realistically we have to.

It's all well and good pointing to a club like Brentford and asking why can't we also find these players for £3m who quadruple in value, until you remember that they consistently finish mid table in the Championship. 

I've still been keeping an eye on the Premier League. £30m is what good Premier League strikers cost if you want a relatively 'sure thing', and would it not be ideal to add at least one of these? Mings is going to cost £15m, don't we need another 2 or 3 Tyrone Mings?

I think those fans who think we can get by via bargain bin signings and moneyball scouting alone are living in a dream world. We need to strike a balance between the two strategies.

If the club think otherwise and that they can do this on the cheap, I think they're wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Purslow has stated definitively that we won’t take anyone on loan.

I think what he said was we won’t be developing players for other teams any more, that to me does not rule out a loan with a hard option to buy at the end of it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

You're right West Ham translates to Aston Villa in Spanish. Dumb foreigners. Option 3 newspapers make shit up. 

Think the same with Gomez, both us and West Ham have been linked with him....I’m guessing it’s just one of us

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think what he said was we won’t be developing players for other teams any more, that to me does not rule out a loan with a hard option to buy at the end of it.

Yes that’s right.

33 minutes ago, tonitottakai said:

Maybe I'm just blinded by his terrific performance against Bosnia and Herzegovina over the last weekend (plus, I'm obviously biased as he's Finnish) but Glen Kamara has bags of potential and is only 23 years old, too. Could be a nice addition to the CDM slot? Slippy Steve has also been bigging him up for his displays for Rangers last season. Obligatory YT video:

From one Glen to another! 

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But those saying “ we can’t spend ‘x’ % of our budget on that player”, or “ anyone hoping for big spending will be disappointed” are just as much in the dark as those that hope for massive investment.

Isn't that just speculating? Isn't this a speculation thread? There will be a limit to how much we can spend, and I'm pretty sure it's okay to speculate about how much that might be.