Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I am really happy we are not bidding silly money for players just to assemble a squad. It's a good thing we're taking our time and finding the right targets. 

I do however think it's worrying with the lack of players we will enter a preseason with. 

I know this is kinda contradicting, but that's where I am at. I kinda wished we had better scouting in place so more players could have been snapped up quickly. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Interesting that Leeds have sold Clarke for £8.5m 
Do they really want £30m for Phillips? Think that's incredibly unlikely. 

I wouldn't be surprised if clubs observe we have a paper thin squad. A new manager in his first proper transfer window. New filthy rich owners. A ton of available promotion money. Thus they will all ask to stupid money. So £ 30 million seems quite likely to me. I don't think it's something we should pursue in any way, nor do I think he is worth it, but the longer we take to aquire players the longer clubs will put us under pressure with obscene fees. 

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Interesting that Leeds have sold Clarke for £8.5m 
Do they really want £30m for Phillips? Think that's incredibly unlikely. 

Maybe clarke did not have long left on his contract? Also I expect the £30m figure is just made up by the papers. They would sell for less than that.

If a player wants to leave a team for a higher placed team/league above then the selling team really have very little sway. It’s when a player wants to stay that teams like us with Jack can set a high price and say ‘that’s what you need to pay’. If a player wants to go then it really weakens the bargaining argument significantly. 

I’m surprised at the number of players (apparently according to the press who know bugger all it seems) who seem content to stay in the Championship with teams that will probably only be top half and nothing more. If I was playing for (no disrespect meant) a team in the mid/top half of the championship and a premier league club came in, I’d be making a fuss and saying please let me further my career. Moving to the PL is a dream for most players, and the best way to get noticed by international managers. A unrealistic £30m price tag would surely feel like the move was being blocked. 

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The players are back for preseason next week so we will probably see some movement happen now

Agree with this. I expect clubs will start selling soon rather than letting players with one foot already out the door go back for pre-season training and overseas tours etc, and vice versa, clubs will want players through the door before or early into pre-season.

1st week in july the contracts officially change, pre season starts, holidays end, summer tournaments end, it will all start to heat up

its not just villa that are quiet, there have been 21 signings so far in the PL, most of them signing of loan players, we have 4 of them if you count Wesley which is the most in the league, 10 clubs haven't bought anyone and I would say the only real signings that might be of significance to us (ie "rivals" strengthening) are Southampton signing Djenepo, Brighton signing trossard and Norwich signing drmic

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If a player wants to leave a team for a higher placed team/league above then the selling team really have very little sway. It’s when a player wants to stay that teams like us with Jack can set a high price and say ‘that’s what you need to pay’. If a player wants to go then it really weakens the bargaining argument significantly. 

I’m surprised at the number of players (apparently according to the press who know bugger all it seems) who seem content to stay in the Championship with teams that will probably only be top half and nothing more. If I was playing for (no disrespect meant) a team in the mid/top half of the championship and a premier league club came in, I’d be making a fuss and saying please let me further my career. Moving to the PL is a dream for most players, and the best way to get noticed by international managers. A unrealistic £30m price tag would surely feel like the move was being blocked. 

It’s only been Philips that wants to stay at his boyhood club isn’t it? They will probably be favourites for promotion too.

I reckon other players we have been linked with want a move.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

The big thing I imagine we are up against is that clubs know we are wealthy and willing to spend. They will want us to pay a premium. We are obviously having to box clever so probably are bidding for several players for each position and maybe even leaking information to pressure clubs into selling. You could buy Bristol City for £40m so no way they will sell Webster for £30m. I reckon £15m to £18m and he is ours. We just have to get to a position where Bristol know they will potentially miss out on some good revenue if they dont sell as we will take our business elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am really happy we are not bidding silly money for players just to assemble a squad. It's a good thing we're taking our time and finding the right targets. 

I do however think it's worrying with the lack of players we will enter a preseason with. 

I know this is kinda contradicting, but that's where I am at. I kinda wished we had better scouting in place so more players could have been snapped up quickly. 

You have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, who we're scouting and how good the scouting is. Relax.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wednesday's signing fell through at the last minute, as I did say could happen.

We're still interested. It could still happen. Unless it doesn't. Then it won't. But if it does. It will.

I trust that clears things up

#StevoITK

Without asking you to give too much away, fell through due to what?  Wages, transfer fee?, medical, other offers from other clubs?

Edited by MaVilla