Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I really like Gary Cahill as a player, but here's why I'm worried about us signing him:

• He made 8 appearances in all competitions last season.
  • He's been making more mistakes since around the time Conte first came in - getting caught in possession, picking up red cards, etc. - all signs of ageing legs and lack of focus.
  • He's a one-season signing at best for us, so we're going to be disrupting our back line next summer, even if he does a job (look how long it took to get some defensive stability in after JT retired).
  • Yes he's decent on the ball, but he's never played for a high-pressing possession side in his career. Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
  • Yes he's a top player, Premier League and Champions League winner, loads of England caps, etc. but he's a level below the really great England CBs of recent years (JT, Rio, Campbell, Adams... even Ledley King). All of those elite CBs struggled towards their mid 30s, with JT having to drop down to the Championship and Ferdinand failing miserably at QPR. Are we really expecting Cahill to do better than that at 33/34?

Still, if the idea is to have a good personality in the dressing room, and some competition for places to keep the young lads on their toes, then so long as the wages are okay, I suppose it makes sense. He can probably still do a solid job against a slower, more physical team. I just wouldn't get too excited about it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Maxi Gomez is a football manager superstar so guaranteed fan madness around this one! He has also been a clearly gifted player in La liga last couple of seasons too so anyone who watches Spanish football on the regular will be excited,  but I wouldn’t consider his reputation one england to be that wide ranging...eg he’s not really played the national team or English clubs in European competition in recent years for people to really know much about him.

for me personally, I play FM largely with Spanish clubs and also watch highlights each week and live games fairly often so I’ve seen him a fair bit across both! Right attributes for the premier league for sure, very exciting link but I considered him beyond us...if the link is true, regardless of whether we get him or not, it shows the level we are looking at is very high

A friend of mine is Uruguayan, and I sent him a text about Villa's purported interest in Gomez and his response was simply "do it now because they won't be able to afford him in a few more years."

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

A friend of mine is Uruguayan, and I sent him a text about Villa's purported interest in Gomez and his response was simply "do it now because they won't be able to afford him in a few more years."

Yeah sounds about right! He’s the type of player who can do everything. I doubt we will get him but if we did I’d be so impressed 

Maxi Gomez is a good fit for us. Up and coming but comes from a relegation battling club in a different league. Price seems overblown though so if I was Celta I would sell to the highest bidder, which is unlikely to be us.

I doubt we will pay over twenty million quid for a single player this window and rightly so, we have too many to buy.

Although minor thread tangent

Will we break our transfer record (Darren Bent 18m rising to 24m) this window?

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Maxi Gomez is a good fit for us. Up and coming but comes from a relegation battling club in a different league. Price seems overblown though so if I was Celta I would sell to the highest bidder, which is unlikely to be us.

I doubt we will pay over twenty million quid for a single player this window and rightly so, we have too many to buy.

Although minor thread tangent

I guess as an answer to your question, pretty much yes. Probably for Gomez himself. 😁

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think that's a given. But it annoys me that we don't know the cost for Bent. A transfer record can't be 18-24 ffs

• Like 1

11 hours ago, av1 said:

Exactly. Shit decisions got us relegated, lets not continue to make the same mistakes. 

Surely it was the selling of players like Delph, Cahill and Albrighton (for rubbish fees) that was shit.

Signing those players wouldn’t be a shit decision. Signing them on huge money would be. No-one is saying ‘let’s break the bank to bring back [former player]’. I’m pretty sure most people that want them are suggesting we try for these players on reasonable wages.

Delph would be a ‘no’ for me. But Milner, Cahill or Albrighton (on the right deal), would be great, especially when you consider the fact that we have about 17 players right now. 

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Wonder if we will be back in for harold moukoudi ?

Didn't want to move in January as said he wasnt ready, I wonder if 3 months sitting in the stands has helped him decide ?

I heard he's gone to st ettiene

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think that's a given. But it annoys me that we don't know the cost for Bent. A transfer record can't be 18-24 ffs

In an age where transfer fees are often ‘undisclosed’, very often exaggerated, and we’ve no idea what the budget pot is anyway, I’ve stopped putting too much importance on fees and wages.

In regard to the Bent fee, I believe the highest number would only be paid if he went on to make many more appearances than he did AND we qualified for Europe. As neither happened, but he did help us stay up that season, I’d guess (for what it’s worth) around £18 to £19m was the final amount paid.

• Like 1

Could be out of our reach unfortunately - given the work on the squad as a whole needed and the fee mentioned, plus I imagine clubs offering European football will be in for him. Also, I get the impression that we are looking to create our own stars than spending big bucks on other teams'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are will still talking about Maxi Gómez?  This isn’t going to happen. The guy is touted as the next Suarez. 

At this moment in time we need to be finding Maxi Gomez’s before the world knows about them.  

He’s only touted as the next Suarez because he is Uruguayan... He plays for Celta Vigo not Barca

Agree he would be an astounding capture but we don’t yet know what our owners are capable of.

34 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

He’s only touted as the next Suarez because he is Uruguayan... He plays for Celta Vigo not Barca

Agree he would be an astounding capture but we don’t yet know what our owners are capable of.

Exactly! That is exactly why I think this summer will be the most exciting transfer window ever. I really think they mean business so there's every chance a signing of this calibre could happen.