Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 hours ago, sne said:

Linked to a RB from Antwerp called Daniel Opare along with Norwich

Has a £500.000 buy out clause apparently.

28 and not a regular for Ghana, can't see this one being true. By all accounts he's also a bit shit.

Agent shopping most likely.

Real Madrid signed him about 10 years ago after he impressed at some youth tournament. Was a huge prospect but think spent lot of his career in Belgium

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, deeps said:

Mings/Chester/Tomori/House/Cahill will be good defensive options.  

Don't think you even need Cahill in that scenario. At the end of last season we had ample cover at the back, considering the dire situation we had at the start and we should keep most of them, with Chester & Hause as back up/competition. I don't think you need a 5th CB, particularly when the extra games are only coming from cup games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'd assume the commercial deals and players you can attract is also difference if you finish 8th instead of 16th too.

Exactly. All the big sponsors want a club in and around the top 4, that’s obvious. You’ve got to be in and around that top 6-8 places to attract the prize money and deals that pay for, and attract,  the best players. 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

https://medium.com/@pannasandnutmegs/profiling-ball-playing-centre-backs-in-the-championship-820f5e7862e1

Everyone complaining about how Tomori isn't good enough is just spouting nonsense...  Great analysis of him and other Championship CBs here.  Very similar to Axel:

1*dL8dWBe8EvfQ5vUh7m5fyQ.png

37th percentile for “aerial duels won” (against a benchmark of Championship players) is very worrying for a would be PL CB  

A good footballer - if definitely sign him, but would play him in the DCM position (and as cover across the back four)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

The best defender we ever had had knees made of cornflakes. Experience and anticipation > youth and speed sometimes. If your centre halves covers all 4. Aces.

Except McGrath was also rapid, so the point is moot. 

I'm not really up for changing the entire system for Gary Cahill. System > individuals

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Hause is not a LB. He played there cause at the time he was the best we've got. He's far too big to play LB. I see him as back up to Mings. 

? He was a left back, just like mings was. Hause for wolves played across the back in more than one position, left back being to main one, mings was signed from Ipswich as a left back.

Just now, brummybloke said:

? He was a left back, just like mings was. Hause for wolves played across the back in more than one position, left back being to main one, mings was signed from Ipswich as a left back.

I think whilst he has the versatility to play at Left Back, which is undoubtedly valuable, I think he is being brought in with the primary intention, initially, to be Mings' understudy to the Left-sided Centre Back role.

I believe we are still definitely in the market for an out and out Left Back to be our starting Left Back, with Hause and Taylor duelling it out for the understudy role, rotating in depending on the match in question.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

A lot of CB start off at RB or LB early in their careers. I would suggest CB is the more natural position for both players, but Hause can definitely be utilised as backup LB if needed.

• Like 2

Hause states his favoured position is CB however hes played far more games at left back than at CB. I think hes a solid player in either position, however mings has to move across and play on the right when playing with hause which makes us slightly weaker as mings is out os his best position.

He has earned his place in our 1st team squad and hopefully will just get better and better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

37th percentile for “aerial duels won” (against a benchmark of Championship players) is very worrying for a would be PL CB  

A good footballer - if definitely sign him, but would play him in the DCM position (and as cover across the back four)

Is he really a DCM though? A lot of people assume that ball playing CBs can play DCM, but then when you try them there it doesn't click. Seen it so many times. The two positions are a lot more different than people realise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

No to cahill please, just no no no no.

Yes to Cahill please, just yes yes yes.

And Tomori, we are going to need 3 CB's as Chester is finished. And Konsa

Edited by thunderball

Linked with Baptiste SantaMaria of Angers. Who is avery good defensive midfielder.

I can just imagine a Holte End chant to the old 1995 eurodance tune by  Tatjana if he signed :D

Edited by Villan4Life

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Don't think you even need Cahill in that scenario. At the end of last season we had ample cover at the back, considering the dire situation we had at the start and we should keep most of them, with Chester & Hause as back up/competition. I don't think you need a 5th CB, particularly when the extra games are only coming from cup games. 

Chester may never play again.

19 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Yes to Cahill please, just yes yes yes.

And Tomori, we are going to need 3 CB's as Chester is finished. And Konsa

This time a year ago Tony Xia would have sold his sister to get someone like Cahill at Villa Park.. we were f****d.

What difference a year makes.. now we're debating yes or no on him.

Brilliant!  :D

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Except McGrath was also rapid, so the point is moot. 

I'm not really up for changing the entire system for Gary Cahill. System > individuals

Once upon a time he was. Flat out he could still move later in his career in straight lines. But agility, turn of pace and shifting balance is key for centre halves and you need knees for that. McGrath compensated by having incredible awareness and anticipation that comes from experience. He was special too of course. Not all older heads get better. So I disagree. The point is not moot.

And we don't have an obvious system to change yet, so fail to see what we would compromise by signing Cahill.

If there was a younger readymade Premier League defender available on a bosman I'm all for it.

We need 3 more centre halves if Chester is crocked. And I believe that is the case. I also dont think ges goid enough. If signing Cahill allows us to spend more on two first choice long term defenders I think its a good idea. Its unlikely we can buy 3x Mings calibre players at 10 to 20m each. Mings himself has a patchy injury record.

I personally think its daft to ignore an exceptional player like Cahill due to some inflexible notion that every player must be x years old.

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I personally think its daft to ignore an exceptional player like Cahill due to some inflexible notion that every player must be x years old.

I don't think it has anything to do with his age, personally. What Aston Villa (should) look for in a centre half first and foremost (aside from being a good defender) is pace and being mega comfortable on the ball. That doesn't sound like Gary Cahill to me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think it has anything to do with his age, personally. What Aston Villa (should) look for in a centre half first and foremost (aside from being a good defender) is pace and being mega comfortable on the ball. That doesn't sound like Gary Cahill to me. 

Agree with what you have identified. Having Mings and Tuanzebe has enabled an approach that allowed our strategy to take greater effect.

So much so that I was hoping we would retain the services of both for this coming season, not to be.

However the likes of Cahill would serve us much better than Jedinak at CB and I dare say Hause too, although perhaps Hause will continue to grow into the system.

Cahill might not be a ball playing CB like Mings, Tuanzebe, Medel or Mascherano but at 33 I would definitely be open to giving him a one year contract.

• Like 1