Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Agree with what you have identified. Having Mings and Tuanzebe has enabled an approach that allowed our strategy to take greater effect.

So much so that I was hoping we would retain the services of both for this coming season, not to be.

However the likes of Cahill would serve us much better than Jedinak at CB and I dare say Hause too, although perhaps Hause will continue to grow into the system.

Cahill might not be a ball playing CB like Mings, Tuanzebe, Medel or Mascherano but at 33 I would definitely be open to giving him a one year contract.

As what though? Back up? Because that is the role Jedinak played. 

It smacks of an old school signing. We'd have to adjust everything to accommodate him. It seems mad to me. 

Don't know where this notion of Cahill not being comfortable on the ball is coming from. He isn't bad at all. Never has been.

All for forgetting about Cahill and getting say: Mings, Tomori and Konsa or Axel. That might cost 40m and leave less money for other players we desperately need. If that is the case, get Cahill on a free for 1 or 2 years, then get another top young defender next summer.

Anyway. I've said my bit now.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 4

Isn't Cahill one of the best defenders we've had when it comes to passing and being comfortable on the ball? I don't remember him as being slow either, at 33 or what he is I don't think he has lost too much of his speed if he has kept himself fit.

I would very much like to have him back, just the memory of his overhead kick goal makes me want him back! The biggest worry for me is why he has been froozen out completely by Sarri though. Anyone know why? If it's because of injuries or if his legs are gone then it's a no-no. But otherwise as we are short of CB:s a one year contract is a no brainer for me if he would accept that.   

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Is he really a DCM though? A lot of people assume that ball playing CBs can play DCM, but then when you try them there it doesn't click. Seen it so many times. The two positions are a lot more different than people realise.

I understand that the Chelsea development coaches see him eventually as a DCM. I’m not 100% sure but I think he started with Derby as LB and only dropped into CB to cover injury - I might be wrong with this

I get the point that not many CBs can make the shift to DCM but he is a really accomplished footballer and I think he would do very well there

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As what though? Back up? Because that is the role Jedinak played. 

It smacks of an old school signing. We'd have to adjust everything to accommodate him. It seems mad to me. 

We'd be a much stronger unit for having Cahill in our setup. I mention Jedinak because Tuanzebe has departed, that leaves us thin. Hopefully the Mings deal goes ahead.

I don't know that having one defender of the caliber of Cahill would compromise our whole strategy and planning for how we want to play.

If you think about it we made adjustments all season since Smith took over in October. Smith was still able to pull the strings to the tune of promotion, in commanding fashion.

Mings, Grealish, Abraham and Tuanzebe were out at times, we made adjustments when changes were forced, and when they weren't, using Whelan or Hourihane in different games.

Playing a slight variation on the setup seen at full strength, with the emphasis still on good build up and ball retention. We managed well.

Cahill would be an asset, not a hindrance.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So with Tammy gone for good who the heck is going to score us some goals next season? If we get this wrong it could be a long hard slog.

Yeah it’s a bit concerning but let’s see what they come up with. Get it wrong and we are going straight back down make no mistake. 

Would love to see Cahill back at Villa as his experience would be vital.

And dare I say it...Delph if he was available! We often need to forgive and forget in life so why not football?

Signing those two players would be great for us.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So with Tammy gone for good who the heck is going to score us some goals next season? If we get this wrong it could be a long hard slog.

Image result for balotelli gif

32 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Would love to see Cahill back at Villa as his experience would be vital.

And dare I say it...Delph if he was available! We often need to forgive and forget in life so why not football?

Signing those two players would be great for us.

Delph would be quality squad addition. He could play at the DM role releasing McGinn and Grealish. Great feet, quick of thought. Watching him tonight though, he likes a backwards pass

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Delph would be quality squad addition. He could play at the DM role releasing McGinn and Grealish. Great feet, quick of thought. Watching him tonight though, he likes a backwards pass

Very slippery as well, can weave through at ease. Can also detach jaw and swallow an Ostrich egg. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

I understand that the Chelsea development coaches see him eventually as a DCM. I’m not 100% sure but I think he started with Derby as LB and only dropped into CB to cover injury - I might be wrong with this

I get the point that not many CBs can make the shift to DCM but he is a really accomplished footballer and I think he would do very well there

Wasn’t that our case with Tuanzebe though? Last season he came on as a RB. This season Bruce played him as a RB or a RCB in a back of 5. All if that because Bruce lacks courage in terms of giving young players their proper chances.

Eventually we all saw how Axel was important to our system.

What I’m saying is he would have stayed as a RB if we had another proper cb, ofcourse if we were under Bruce.

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Didn't play left back once for Derby this season.  Didn't play DCM either.  

image.thumb.png.f2b457bae11051da17d612a55e105c03.png

Played 52 games as a CB in his career so far.  Zero as a LB, DCM, or CM.  Don't know why you think he's not naturally a Central Defender.  

image.png.79fad987fa7488d8d0b0b991c30aab1e.png

image.png.b655b9fce990b17e27fd31ca6c2f3d52.png

• Like 1