Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, pete101 said:

Clips I seen , he is very good getting into positions of space between two defenders , very right footed , holds ball up very well and enjoy a battle , very diago Costa type forward which is what our system requires

I'm not saying he has bad movement, it's just when somebody says 'he looks mobile' I think it means being able to cover a bit of ground, have a turn of pace, I just didn't get that from the clips I've seen. He looks a big guy, so it's no real surprise he might not be the quickest.

I can still see how he might fit in to our system though. I think I'd need to see more of him before I could say he was worth throwing so much money at, but then that's what our scouts are for!

23 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

I understand your point but don't completely agree. The first big advantage we're going to (hopefully) see of having super rich owners is that we have money to spend without having to firstly establish ourselves in the league for a year or two first. I can't see Norwich or Sheff Utd being able to do this. 

The rest is a mystery I guess but history suggests that club with rich owners spend more than those who don't have rich owners.

I think the big thing will be is that our owners won’t want to cream and profits off the top so all our income (TV, Tickets, league position ect) will be pumped straight back into the club. Some owners take away profit with a short to medium plan or view (i.e Mike Ashley) but hopefully with our owners they are here for the long run and have a long term vision to make the club profitable by making them a great established premier league club, so when the time comes to sell us be that in 3, 10 or 20 years we will be worth a lot more (i.e Roman Abramovich. 

With regards to ex players the only one I would take back is James Milner. He would fit into the team well and has the right attitude, he has just won the champions league and various trophies with city, he has winning mentality, and would be good to have around the squad, he could easily sit the deep CM role or even cover at full back. I wouldn’t step foot in Villa Park if delph was in a villa shirt again. 

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Maybe these owners (plus Suso and Dean) would consider it an investment? A risk worth taking? Add £20m onto the transfer pot, on the assumption that we will own a player that has the potential to double in value?

A different situation entirely, but I always think back to the Lambert season when Lerner wouldn't stump up the £6m for Aaron Cresswell. So instead we bought Joe Bennett for £3m, who needed replacing with Antonio Luna for £2m, who needed replacing with Aly Cissokho for £1.5m.... who ended up being replaced by Kieran Richardson and then Amavi for £8m :rolleyes: :crylaugh:

Stop it, you are hurting me 😞

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To be completely honest I have forgotten what it was all about. Was it something about him signing a new contract then saying **** it after 2 weeks?

He ran out of contract, then signed a new contract saying he’s loyal to Villa. A week or two later he was off by 8m.

I would like to think that he cared about Villa otherwise he wouldn’t have signed. But he could have signed without those comments. I don’t think he thought Man City would offer that amount for him. He had a release clause for 8m if a champions league team came to him.

If he was smart, he could have shut his mouth and signed the contract then moved. With that all Villa fans would have respected him for not going for free.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'm totally with you on that but we're talking about 35mil+, not just a case of spending a few mil more. In any case, I think if we recruit smartly, spreading the extra 20mil around rather than hedging our bets on one striker is safer. 

You might have misunderstood me. I’m saying that if we’ve earmarked approximately £20-25m of the transfer budget for a first choice striker (ie: Abraham), then increasing the budget by £15-£20m to table a £35-45m bid for this Uruguayan fella could be considered a risk worth taking. Not increasing the budget by £35m.

You’re right that an additional budget might be better shared around the incomings, but if this guy is as promising as discussed, I’d happily see us pay for him, if there’s a chance that he could become a striker that is discussed in the same breath as the Agueros, Suarez and Kanes of this world.

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Stop it, you are hurting me 😞

I’ve ran out of likes for the day, so I’d just like to say... I’m sorry.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

You might have misunderstood me. I’m saying that if we’ve earmarked approximately £20-25m of the transfer budget for a first choice striker (ie: Abraham), then increasing the budget by £15-£20m to table a £35-45m bid for this Uruguayan fella could be considered a risk worth taking. Not increasing the budget by £35m.

You’re right that an additional budget might be better shared around the incomings, but if this guy is as promising as discussed, I’d happily see us pay for him, if there’s a chance that he could become a striker that is discussed in the same breath as the Agueros, Suarez and Kanes of this world.

I was comparing the figures to the players you mentioned - where the difference was just a few million or so (between Cresswell and Bennett, for example) - to this, hence the big jump in numbers (almost doubling our initial budget). 

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

He ran out of contract, then signed a new contract saying he’s loyal to Villa. A week or two later he was off by 8m.

I would like to think that he cared about Villa otherwise he wouldn’t have signed. But he could have signed without those comments. I don’t think he thought Man City would offer that amount for him. He had a release clause for 8m if a champions league team came to him.

If he was smart, he could have shut his mouth and signed the contract then moved. With that all Villa fans would have respected him for not going for free.

He signed the new contract in the January, I remember it being announced on the pitch in an FA cup match against Bournemouth I think.

Then came the summer shenanigans when he said he was staying, made a big deal of it then 3 days later he signed for city 

55 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maxi Jazz

I've heard he makes no apology for linking his thinking with computer technology... With our new moneyball-esque managerial setup you might be on to something!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I was comparing the figures to the players you mentioned - where the difference was just a few million or so (between Cresswell and Bennett, for example) - to this, hence the big jump in numbers (almost doubling our initial budget). 

Also double... 

Transfer fees have gone, well, insane over the last 3 years, never mind the previous decade. £35m now would be the equivalent to the fee we paid for Juan Pablo Angel, a world where the top players (just below the very very best) went for £18m and we signed him for £9m.

Basically, £35m isn't a lot of money in today's Premier League. What we have to decide is whether we want to be also-rans or to join the rat race and go for it. I prefer the latter, but I guess it's a personal choice. 

28 minutes ago, lexicon said:

(almost doubling our initial budget). 

Also - genuinely not trying to dig you out here but who's budget? Villa Talks budget may be nothing like Aston Villa's, which could literally be anywhere between £50m and £500m

There are bargains to be had and I'm sure we will be looking to bring in players from the league that we have just left and from Europe, who have it in them to succeed in the PL.

Some players may be on our radar like Bowen and Maupay, who won't come cheap, but look very likely to find their feet in the PL when they get the opportunity.

We may look to bring players such as Tammy and Gayle, who didn't set the PL alight previously, but that we think have it in them to do so this time (on loan with an option to buy, if not on a permanent deal).

I really hope that we can bring in Tyrone and Axel, as well. We will find out soon enough. In the interim we can enjoy the speculation and make our own suggestions (no matter how realistic or otherwise they may seem), in the knowledge that Dean and the club will know our budget and use it to the best of their abilities to build us a squad that can do a great job for us next season. It's going to be an exciting and busy window!

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

40568af3f9e03c8c8a47393dec4487c0.jpg

I am pretty sure I have a Sports Argus somewhere in the distant corner of my loft from when we won the League and there is an advert in there for an Aston Villa themed Austin Maxi you could order from a dealer.

Of course there will be no surviving examples by now because they would have all rusted to bits before we were crowned European Champions.

Actually it might have been a Morris Marina, but the same applies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Also - genuinely not trying to dig you out here but who's budget? Villa Talks budget may be nothing like Aston Villa's, which could literally be anywhere between £50m and £500m

Of course we're assuming that we're looking at 20-25 for a striker. It's important to note that just because we're back in the PL, doesn't mean that we can ignore FFP, so I'd say it's unlikely that we'll go that close to or beyond 100mil. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Of course we're assuming that we're looking at 20-25 for a striker. It's important to note that just because we're back in the PL, doesn't mean that we can ignore FFP, so I'd say it's unlikely that we'll go that close to or beyond 100mil. 

Has anyone actually ran the numbers on that? Because that itself is just the TV deal. In fact, does anyone here actually know the rules for promoted clubs? My understanding is the clock is reset. Until we have a 3 year average to work from there's little they can/will do. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we spent £35m on a particular player, picking up what we perceive to be bargains elsewhere. 

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't dismiss a link off hand because the price is 'high'. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Has anyone actually ran the numbers on that? Because that itself is just the TV deal. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we spent £35m on a particular player, picking up what we perceive to be bargains elsewhere. 

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't dismiss a link off hand because the price is 'high'. 

Well it's all opinion, isn't it? :)

Personally, I would be pretty surprised to see us drop that much on one player - I obviously wouldn't mind but I think we're more likely to go for players that we can bring up to that level rather than ones who are already there.