Racism Part two

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

In many, many ways the Netherlands is way ahead of other countries in some things,  drugs,  family life, environmental, health and child safety as a few examples.  Things like the Black Pete thing though,  its like living in a Carry on film for a day.  Utterly indefensible and embarrassing. 

Does it seem to come from a "certain type of person", the people standing up for it? 

I lived in the Netherlands for a little while and, unaware of the tradition, was flabbergasted when a group of these words removed came bounding into the office lobbing sweets at everyone.

When asking a local what was going on I was told that Santa comes from Spain in his ship with his little black helpers. If the kids have been good they get presents and sweets, and if they've been bad they get coal and are bundled into the black dude's sack to be taken back to Spain.

The whole thing is **** crackers from start to finish.

Also, here's a NSFW video (potty mouth) where a Dutch filmmaker tested the concept in London and even bumped into Russell Brand in a park...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The whole thing is **** crackers from start to finish.

They give the presents out on the 5th December also (Not much either,  rubbish stocking fillers etc).  So nothing really happens on the 25th except in my granddaughters world. 

She stays at my house for a proper xmas on the 24th / 25th.  I make it so its like if we lived in Brum 👍

When I piggy back her upstairs on 25th morning she is shaking with excitement if the milk and cookies have gone.  I don't know much but I know xmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They give the presents out on the 5th December also (Not much either,  rubbish stocking fillers etc).  So nothing really happens on the 25th except in my granddaughters world. 

She stays at my house for a proper xmas on the 24th / 25th.  I make it so its like if we lived in Brum 👍

When I piggy back her upstairs on 25th morning she is shaking with excitement if the milk and cookies have gone.  I don't know much but I know xmas.

@bickster when he reads this

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Easy to laugh at other countries with their daft offensive traiditions, but sobering to think of this kind of thing in the UK. It's easy to hide your head in the sand and think we're (sorry) whiter than white, when you're a white bloke never subject to this kind of thing

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Easy to laugh at other countries with their daft offensive traiditions, but sobering to think of this kind of thing in the UK. It's easy to hide your head in the sand and think we're (sorry) whiter than white, when you're a white bloke never subject to this kind of thing

Saw him in that meeting at the inquest on tv today, heart absolutely broke for him. Incredibly brave, proud yet humble man. Hope he gets the justice he deserves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Thanks for posting, I’ve seen this bubbling away on the news but I’ve not really given it much attention, didn’t realise the scale of what was happening. Incredibly brave from him to open up about this.

Azeem Rafiq has now had to apologize himself for racist/ant-semetic messages he sent in 2011, not good enough, if he thinks a apology is okay, it's not gonna be okay for Yorkshire Cricket is it! This is what he is fighting for. I'll await more to come out on him, everyone knows he gave as good as he got.

• Like 2

it doesn't excuse Yorkshire Cricket club and its racism and abuse of the player  , anyone using this revelation as some of justification is wider of the mark than a Keinan Davis shot on goal

but , it doesn't reflect well on him , it would be like finding out Great Thunburg  stays in a hotel room and runs the air conditioning with the  window open  

He was 19 ,  apologised , made the right noises about regretting it , so nothing to see here  ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Azeem Rafiq has now had to apologize himself for racist/ant-semetic messages he sent in 2011, not good enough, if he thinks a apology is okay, it's not gonna be okay for Yorkshire Cricket is it! This is what he is fighting for. I'll await more to come out on him, everyone knows he gave as good as he got.

I think anyone claiming equivalence between Rafiq's AS jokes and P*ki jokes is on a simple level correct. But that is where the equivalence ends - Rafiq was discriminated against, for his skin colour and heritage and that in law is a different kettle of fish entirely. But I'll stand corrected if it comes out that Rafiq went around pinning 15 year old jews and force-feeding them pork. 

Â