Racism Part two

Demitri_C

On 30/09/2021 at 15:54, maqroll said:

The USA is a viciously racist place. Every day that goes by I'm reminded of it, and I realize its worse than I thought the day before. If the right wing could institute slavery again, they would. 

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not really a fan of vigilantes but sometimes there should be an exception 

sounds like the recent publicity has finally prompted government officials to investigate , although they haven't actually acted on it yet 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I'm not really a fan of vigilantes but sometimes there should be an exception 

sounds like the recent publicity has finally prompted government officials to investigate , although they haven't actually acted on it yet 

There are some sensible suggestions for possible peaceful action in the threads under the tweets to be fair (there's a third tweet naming the bloke but I didn't include it, some of the better ones were under that one).

Happy to hear that the authorities might finally take an interest, sounds like the poor woman had no luck until it got media coverage which is pretty sad.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont get it.I mean just about all of the sports stars are black yet they go all silly if you are black and not playing for some team ?!

tried to find on youtube a great scene from one night in miami with Jim Brown which was in his autobiography and he says is true

Spoiler

basically he goes to visit some old guy who has something to do with the university that Brown starred for, he's sat out on the front porch with him, he butters him up saying how much he loves Brown how brilliant he is at football, how great it is that there's a young guy form that town becoming a national star and how he's representing all the locals and blah blah blah and then he says something about not being to do something inside like lift something or fix something i cant remember what it is and Brown being friendly says i'll help you with that and the old guy turns to him calm as anything and says "thats not going to happen, you know we dont let n*ggers in the house"

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is heartbreaking and pisses me off all in the same vein. I have a lot of black friends, dated a black girl for several years, and I just have always lived by the creed of I don't care what race, religion, gender or whatever you are, if you respect me I will respect you. Period.

I don't know what the answer is to solving the problem of racism and I fear that it is something that will not be solved as it were for years to come. I just don't see how you can hate somebody or be prejudice towards somebody else just because of the color of their skin. It should be about them as a person not what they look like.

I really don't know what else to say, just sucks that fellow human beings are like this.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Not good

Yorkshire CCC are institutionally racist. For me there is no other conclusion

'[...]

When a former player raised serious allegations of longstanding racist behaviour three years ago, the club initially did nothing and then reportedly offered him a six-figure payout to keep quiet. Under investigation, they have chosen at every turn to prioritise their own reputation and their own people. It is true that an investigative panel found that Azeem Rafiq’s exclusion from the team was based on his cricket, and not his race. It is also true the panel may not have found sufficient evidence to conclude that Yorkshire are institutionally racist. But frankly, to me, to draw any other conclusion is not simply a refutation of the available evidence but a form of moral cowardice.

[...]

One of the hallmarks of this episode is that every time you feel Yorkshire have plumbed their own capacity for moral decrepitude, they somehow manage to drill even lower. Monday morning was another such moment: according to ESPNCricinfo, a current senior Yorkshire player admitted regularly addressing Rafiq using the P-word, but was cleared by the investigation of wrongdoing on the basis that it was “not reasonable for Azeem to have been offended”. Such words, the panel argued, fell under the banner of “good-natured banter between friends”.

[...]

Since Rafiq first went public with his testimony in a wisden.com interview in August 2020 – an account backed up by numerous former teammates and staff – the Yorkshire chairman, Roger Hutton, has not given a single public interview.'

from: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/nov/01/yorkshire-cricket-are-institutionally-racist-for-me-there-is-no-other-conclusion

So bad in fact that even Tories like Sajid Javid and Julian Knight are out there demanding the board step down over their handling of the allegations.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not good

Yorkshire CCC are institutionally racist. For me there is no other conclusion

'[...]

When a former player raised serious allegations of longstanding racist behaviour three years ago, the club initially did nothing and then reportedly offered him a six-figure payout to keep quiet. Under investigation, they have chosen at every turn to prioritise their own reputation and their own people. It is true that an investigative panel found that Azeem Rafiq’s exclusion from the team was based on his cricket, and not his race. It is also true the panel may not have found sufficient evidence to conclude that Yorkshire are institutionally racist. But frankly, to me, to draw any other conclusion is not simply a refutation of the available evidence but a form of moral cowardice.

[...]

One of the hallmarks of this episode is that every time you feel Yorkshire have plumbed their own capacity for moral decrepitude, they somehow manage to drill even lower. Monday morning was another such moment: according to ESPNCricinfo, a current senior Yorkshire player admitted regularly addressing Rafiq using the P-word, but was cleared by the investigation of wrongdoing on the basis that it was “not reasonable for Azeem to have been offended”. Such words, the panel argued, fell under the banner of “good-natured banter between friends”.

[...]

Since Rafiq first went public with his testimony in a wisden.com interview in August 2020 – an account backed up by numerous former teammates and staff – the Yorkshire chairman, Roger Hutton, has not given a single public interview.'

from: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/nov/01/yorkshire-cricket-are-institutionally-racist-for-me-there-is-no-other-conclusion

So bad in fact that even Tories like Sajid Javid and Julian Knight are out there demanding the board step down over their handling of the allegations.

It’s absolutely awful the way Yorkshire have responded to this throughout. Makes me ashamed as a fan of the club, especially the latest revelations in the Cricinfo article this week. Can’t imagine the mental strain that Azeem Rafiq has been under, horrible.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2021 at 22:24, Big Salad said:

This is heartbreaking and pisses me off all in the same vein. I have a lot of black friends, dated a black girl for several years, and I just have always lived by the creed of I don't care what race, religion, gender or whatever you are, if you respect me I will respect you. Period.

I don't know what the answer is to solving the problem of racism and I fear that it is something that will not be solved as it were for years to come. I just don't see how you can hate somebody or be prejudice towards somebody else just because of the color of their skin. It should be about them as a person not what they look like.

I really don't know what else to say, just sucks that fellow human beings are like this.

The answer is quite simple really,they have a brain about the size of a peanut.

• Like 3

Looking at the Yorkshire situation, I think back to an article written by a prominent journalist in  2006 when Moeen Ali decided to leave Warwickshire and hinted that racism within the club  was the reason.  That was then this now so i wouldn't suggest its like that now. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's actually astonishing how out of hand this has got. 

They are utterly dedicated to their racism.  Their complete and utter willful ignorance of their own views has brought the club to it's knees both in terms of reputation and financially to such an extent it presumably is in danger of compete financial failure is as tragic as it is shocking.  

Those in power there must have complete and utter conviction that there is literally nothing unacceptable about displaying blatant racist characteristics. They're probably all sitting there now astonished about the bad press, sponsors running for the hills and losing their test match lifeblood. More than confused they're probably genuinely angry and wondering why the hell they are going to have to resign tomorrow. 

They really must live in a complete bubble.  I guess a lot of players are also considering their position right now too. 

You just have to marvel that such people can't reflect on themselves at all. 

Good post. It’s absolutely shocking isn’t it!

Pleased to hear they’ve been suspended from hosting international matches and I say that as someone that goes to the test at Headingley each year. Very sad that these morons need to be hit in the pocket to understand the gravity of a situation but the loss of sponsors will hopefully wake the club up and finally get them to make the top to bottom changes that have clearly been needed for years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Looking at the Yorkshire situation, I think back to an article written by a prominent journalist in  2006 when Moeen Ali decided to leave Warwickshire and hinted that racism within the club  was the reason.  That was then this now so i wouldn't suggest its like that now. 

Is that likely, given that Warks won the County Championship with several of the Windies squad. one of whom was Captain ? There have been a number of really good Asian players at Warks ; Asif Din , Dilip Doshi just spring to mind. I don't much care for Ali but wonder if there was another reason he left; all too easy to claim racism.

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Is that likely, given that Warks won the County Championship with several of the Windies squad. one of whom was Captain ? There have been a number of really good Asian players at Warks ; Asif Din , Dilip Doshi just spring to mind. I don't much care for Ali but wonder if there was another reason he left; all too easy to claim racism.

There was something to it. But it was maybe the misttreatment of asian crickters by a certain coach who is no longer with us. I can't go into too much detail but Povey was desperate to keep Moeen Ali, and he has stated that his reasons for going was that he coverting to being a full on Muslim with the beard abd everything and felt there would be better if he did that at worcester. But also I know he was fed up that he hadn't secured a permanent place in the team and they seemed to be giving Luke Parker more opportunites and we all know he didnt make it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Weird. If they had bad Asian players would you believe it?

It's also all too easy to claim someone is probably making something up when you have no first hand knowledge. Not sure what you not caring for him had to do with that point.

I know a few professional cricketers and most of them have a 'teenage banter' sense of humour, so allegations of complete ignorance from players and the clubs ignoring it creating a hostile culture wouldn't surprise me at all.

I remember years ago, in the days of Geoffrey Borecott, going to see Warwick play Yorkshire in a B&H Cup match at Edgbaston. Yorkshire brought quite a few fans and a group of them frequently broke out in to a chorus of "we're all white, we're all white, we're all white !" especially whenever Gladstone Small was near the boundary rope. I was happy to see Warwick batter them on the pitch with only a snail's pace 50 from GB to cheer for the tykes. 

Wasn't it once a condition (for many years) that only Yorkshire men played for the county ?

15 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I remember years ago, in the days of Geoffrey Borecott, going to see Warwick play Yorkshire in a B&H Cup match at Edgbaston. Yorkshire brought quite a few fans and a group of them frequently broke out in to a chorus of "we're all white, we're all white, we're all white !" especially whenever Gladstone Small was near the boundary rope. I was happy to see Warwick batter them on the pitch with only a snail's pace 50 from GB to cheer for the tykes. 

Wasn't it once a condition (for many years) that only Yorkshire men played for the county ?

A joke was made of this in the Harry Enfield Television Programme mid 90's with George Whitebread, Yorshireman, in a boardroom stating to the black director of the firm he was doing the pitch to  "thy will never play for Yorkshire lad, no offence" 

• Like 1

Â