Racism Part two

Demitri_C

As the old thread got closed, big story coming out today involving Liam Neeson

Liam Neeson sparks race row over rape comments

4 February 2019

Liam Neeson said he wanted revenge after his friend was raped

Liam Neeson has sparked a race row after making comments about once wanting to kill a black person.

He says he walked the streets with a weapon, hoping to kill someone as revenge after someone close to him was raped by a black man.

The actor, who was promoting his new film Cold Pursuit, told the Independent that "there's something primal" when you become angry.

The BBC has contacted Liam Neeson's representatives for comment.

In the interview, he said: "God forbid you've ever had a member of your family hurt under criminal conditions. I'll tell you a story. This is true."

Neeson said the alleged rape took place a long time ago and he found out about it when he came back from a trip abroad. The actor went on to use racially offensive language about the attacker.

He said: "She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way.

"But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

Image copyrightLIONSGATE

Image captionNeeson alongside Tom Bateman in Cold Pursuit

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Neeson, whose new film sees him star as a snowplough driver seeking revenge against drug dealers he thinks killed his son, has been subject to a lot of criticism on social media over the interview for what has been seen as racially charged comments.

Javon Johnson said on Twitter that the comments were "violently discarding black folks" but were also "haunted by patriarchy" because "he turned his friend's sexual assault into a platform for his own need to prove his male dominance."

Skip Twitter post by @MarianKeyes

Marian Keyes✔@MarianKeyes

I am mortified by Liam Neeson

Julia Craven added: "So Liam Neeson's response to a loved one being raped was to: 1. Ask the race of the assailant, which tells us his racism was deep rooted before the assault. 2. Roam through (presumably) black neighbourhoods in hopes of provoking a black person so that he could murder them."

Neeson referred back to his comments later in the interview, adding: "It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that. And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid.

"It's awful. But I did learn a lesson from it."

The 66-year-old, who is best known for Schindler's List and the thriller series Taken, also described growing up in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, during the Troubles.

"I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that.

"All this stuff that's happening in the world, the violence, is proof of that, you know. But that primal need, I understand," he added.

Oh dear Liam

Talk about killing your career, why would you even admit to this knowing what society is like these days? 

Edited by Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As the old thread got closed, big story coming out today involving Liam Neeson

Oh dear Liam

Talk about killing your career, why would you even admit to this knowing what society is like these days

Intolerant of racially aggravated murder?

25 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If the woman had said "the guy who attacked me was white/hispanic/chinese" then it would have been exactly the same outcome (Neeson looking for said character) and thinking "You white/Hispanic/Chinese etc bastard".  

This isn't a story charge by his hate for black people, it's charged by his want to physically hurt someone because one of his friends was raped.  

Is it clever?  No

Is he stupid for saying it out loud.. to a journo?  Yes

Is it racist?  No

Is that tweet they quoted retarded?  Yes.  

Although... in Schindler's List he didn't save anyone but whitey's.. so he's definitely racist 

There's no way if the rapist was white he would have gone round looking for an excuse to kill any white bastard.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I took it as a confessional to him having a shocking attitude then in a response to a friend's attack, there's no pride in the recollection.

Agreed.  In a weird way, even though he's telling the story anecdotally, he's using air-quotes and saying the right things about it.  It's obvious he knows it's wrong, when he says;

"Neeson referred back to his comments later in the interview, adding: "It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that."

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Agreed.  In a weird way, even though he's telling the story anecdotally, he's using air-quotes and saying the right things about it.  It's obvious he knows it's wrong, when he says;

"Neeson referred back to his comments later in the interview, adding: "It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that."

I would agree with this but of course there will be a witch hunt on Neeson now. The only thing stupid was admitted it to the media as you know what happens next... 

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I took it as a confessional to him having a shocking attitude then in a response to a friend's attack, there's no pride in the recollection.

I took it the same way. I think uncontrollable rage is an understandable reaction to someone you love being hurt in that way. Where he's gone wrong is projecting that rage onto an entire community rather than the individual that did it. The black community as a whole are no more responsible for the actions of a few "bad apples" who like to commit crime than I am as a white person for the actions of Charles Manson, for example.

That being said, when he used the phrase "Black b******" in any context he's going to draw this kind of animosity. Why couldn't he have just said "black man/guy/person"? The actions he describes, coming out with this story in an interview with a journalist and the terminology he uses indicates to me he's either got a problem or he's just not that bright.

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Context is all. This is a classic case of selective quoting. He's saying: "I was so deranged with anger that I reacted in an irrational, racist way. Which I am now ashamed about". It's very far from justifying racism. It's better to be honest about our own capacity for crazy thoughts than to pretend that we are all squeaky clean at all times. We need to understand before we can learn. From a career point of view of course, it was stupid, because he should have known what would happen. 

Well he’s generated a lot of publicity for a movie I would otherwise never have heard about so I’d say his paymasters would be delighted with the interview.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

As usual is an overreaction from social media about this. His words weren't great but he was telling a story of something terrible that happened 30 years ago and in the end nobody got hurt and I dont feel thats still his opinion about black people

People have done a lot worse things through rage

Not his wisest move, but bloody hell the shit storm on social media is ridiculous. Times were different back then, and he was living in a world where revenge was a common day occurrence with all the troubles in Northern Ireland. He’s said it could have been a Scot or a Lithuanian and he would have felt the same and said the same. The problem here is because it’s the word Black then people all of a sudden take offence and piss their pants with outrage. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He’s said it could have been a Scot or a Lithuanian

I think he said that in a subsequent interview , which has an element of back peddling about it

it was 40 years ago , Neeson would have been 26 not 14 so whilst it was a different time I think by 26 he should have been old enough and educated enough  ...however , that said , I don't think there is a lot wrong in what he said  , the context wasn't him being a racist thug , the context was him regretting his behaviour / actions

Hollywood has forgiven far far worse so he'll ride this storm out

Edited by tonyh29
Heck of a time for fat fingers

Liam Neeson should be wise enough now not to mention race, religion, politics or sexuality in any interview knowing how precious Hollywood and the wider press can be. 

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Context is all. This is a classic case of selective quoting. He's saying: "I was so deranged with anger that I reacted in an irrational, racist way. Which I am now ashamed about". It's very far from justifying racism. It's better to be honest about our own capacity for crazy thoughts than to pretend that we are all squeaky clean at all times. We need to understand before we can learn. From a career point of view of course, it was stupid, because he should have known what would happen. 

This, in many ways. The only problem I have with the whole thing is why asked what skin colour the rapist had. Why would that matter? But still, it apparently happened many years ago, and in another culture than the swedish culture of today so I can't judge him on that either, really. But that's my biggest issue.

I've said a fair few stupid, even racist things in my youth, I'm just glad that I know better today and definitely don't judge people by the colour of their skin or religion or anything else than their actions and manners. Very few people are perfect through their lifes. Or ever.

Â