Racism Part two

Demitri_C

On 12/04/2021 at 15:49, Rodders said:

Accept I might just be being a bit fusty about this, but if you go to get a degree in a foreign country, there ought to be the reasonable expectation you should learn the language sufficiently well enough to communicate and be held to the same standards as anyone else. Being a non-native speaker is not the same as various disabilities / impairments.  If it's a barrier, why not choose a university where you can speak comfortably? 

The Netherlands is so odd.  There are loads of places where they teach things in English.

I thnk it is because they assume the Dutch can speak English anyway so it doesnt matter and they can attract people from other places that speak English.  I am not sure though,  why not German or French?

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Her "apology" on Instagram was very lacking in... anything as well.

"I've got black friends AND I'VE EVEN DATED A BLACK GUY!!!" - how can she possibly be racist?

Also, her nan said she wasn't.

Shame it only takes a second to completely disprove that and wreck your reputation innit? 

thing is, if you found yourself in that situation, wouldn't you get a friend or family member to help you write that apology? literally made her look even worse!

she should have said something along the lines of "i've never considered myself racist before, but after my actions the other night this is obviously not the case and i will take steps to educate myself as to why these views that i clearly have are wrong"

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The Netherlands is so odd.  There are loads of places where they teach things in English.

I thnk it is because they assume the Dutch can speak English anyway so it doesnt matter and they can attract people from other places that speak English.  I am not sure though,  why not German or French?

Two world wars and one world cup 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

This happens in loads of countries I believe. In Spain they do it and I know for sure they do it in Germany too. They are interested in international students from Asia as much as anything. My housemate is from Pakistan and he's doing a Master's here in Madrid in English and there is no way Spain has the same reputation for English speaking that the Netherlands/Germany has. 

Universities just want the money and giving degrees to international students in the UK and elsewhere is big money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Her "apology" on Instagram was very lacking in... anything as well.

"I've got black friends AND I'VE EVEN DATED A BLACK GUY!!!" - how can she possibly be racist?

Also, her nan said she wasn't.

Shame it only takes a second to completely disprove that and wreck your reputation innit? 

How did you manage to find her?

Jeez, that is savage ! What a nasty piece of work. The fact that her "apology" also includes her right to free speech is incredible !

I have seen the uncensored version on what looks like the doorman's twitter account. I won't post it on here cos its got naughty language but if you're a twitter user then check out @hotboiitrizzy for it.

What an obnoxious bint and to also spit in his direction will hopefully drop her even further in the crap with an assault charge.

• Like 1

Thing about booze is it brings about the truth. People lose inhibitions. Silly people tend to get silly, angry people tend to get angry and racist people tend to get, well.... Racist. 

I bet deep down she agrees with some of the stuff she's said, and only probably feels she's let her guard down. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In the last couple of years I've noticed a HUGE change in representation of non-white people on TV, and particularly in adverts. I've seen some ad breaks where every single ad has featured black or Asian people. A really positive move IMO, but I'll bet it infuriates racists. 

A couple of weeks ago Alan Carr did an episode of the game show Strike It Lucky. Of the 6 contestants all 6 were black. Racist twitter was absolutely **** raging. It pleased me on many levels. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In the last couple of years I've noticed a HUGE change in representation of non-white people on TV, and particularly in adverts. I've seen some ad breaks where every single ad has featured black or Asian people. A really positive move IMO, but I'll bet it infuriates racists. 

you didn't see the facebook comment section of the sainsburys christmas ad featuring a black family then i'm guessing. it bought a tear to my eye at the sheer volume of how many are among us. i reported several...the blatantly racist ones...none of them were taken down as apparently they didn't breach FB guidelines

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

you didn't see the facebook comment section of the sainsburys christmas ad featuring a black family then i'm guessing. it bought a tear to my eye at the sheer volume of how many are among us. i reported several...the blatantly racist ones...none of them were taken down as apparently they didn't breach FB guidelines

I saw it and know exactly what you mean

Karen coming up with UK demographic stats "they're 12% of the country but 56% of UK screen time, the world's gone mad" 

And that was a polite one, it was horrible and mind blowing how people can be both so offended by it and brazen in their criticism of it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thing about booze is it brings about the truth. People lose inhibitions. Silly people tend to get silly, angry people tend to get angry and racist people tend to get, well.... Racist. 

I bet deep down she agrees with some of the stuff she's said, and only probably feels she's let her guard down. 

I think in these situations people think "what's the most offensive thing I can say to piss this person off" and come out with that shit.

So it's probably true that she doesn't consider herself to be particularly racist

Obviously the argument against that is that even if you're angry, a non racist person would never say that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Why is it positive, we all want to live in a hate free multiracial society without exclusion of any race, why put fuel on the fire that plays straight into the racists hands.

According to reports there is an over representation of BAME people who appear on TV (10% or so) but an under representation in off screen contributions (by almost 30% in the smoke where a high proportion of TV programs are made) and notably in senior production and management roles,  surely this needs addressing rather than over egging the numbers who appear on the TV thus creating a false narrative. In addition British Asians who represent half of the UK's BAME population are underrepresented by around 20% in TV, again we need to find out why and address this. 

I think it's more subtle than that. For a while there is going to be that "Ooh, look, black people" reaction. I did it myself, hence my observation above. But that was a while back. And now I find myself more and mode not noticing. I just see people. Which is where we need to get to. We probably needed to swing the pendulum in the opposite direction, before letting it settle naturally. And in an indirect way, that will in the long term make a contribution to the production and management imbalance. Why? Because employers/interviewers are subject to unconscious bias - if they are not used to seeing very many black people, they unknowingly perceive them differently to white candidates. The issue of positive discrimination and quotas remains contentious, but applying those principles to things like advertisements is a lot easier and will have a subliminal effect - the recruiters genuinely need to start seeing Just People. But your point about Asian representation also needs to be addressed, I agree. 

• Like 1

I get most of that but what I found contentious are the figures in London Mike, over 40% of the population is BAME, how are these interviewers and employers not used to seeing black/BAME people if the population is not far off 50% and or perceiving them differently?  interestingly at junior role level in the TV industry in London that are more BAME people .You know the point I’m trying to make and it’s not pretty to even go there but I suspect by deliberately having much higher percentages of BAME people on the TV is being used to hide institutional racism in the industry in general. 

Edited by Follyfoot

Interesting really. Genuine question and my mind is a blank so others may recall. Has a black male or female fronted a prime time light entertainment programme on british television? BBC1 or ITV. Not talking a panel member, e.g Banjo or Alicia Dixon. Front a light entertainment show. 
As I got to the end I could recall only one and that is Marvin and Rochelle fronting The Hit List. 

On 25/05/2021 at 16:06, mottaloo said:

What an obnoxious bint and to also spit in his direction will hopefully drop her even further in the crap with an assault charge.

She must be a blose fan, what with drinking in town. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Interesting really. Genuine question and my mind is a blank so others may recall. Has a black male or female fronted a prime time light entertainment programme on british television? BBC1 or ITV. Not talking a panel member, e.g Banjo or Alicia Dixon. Front a light entertainment show. 
As I got to the end I could recall only one and that is Marvin and Rochelle fronting The Hit List. 

Have the not been quite a few on have I got News for you

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I get most of that but what I found contentious are the figures in London Mike, over 40% of the population is BAME, how are these interviewers and employers not used to seeing black/BAME people if the population is not far off 50% and or perceiving them differently?  interestingly at junior role level in the TV industry in London that are more BAME people .You know the point I’m trying to make and it’s not pretty to even go there but I suspect by deliberately having much higher percentages of BAME people on the TV is being used to hide institutional racism in the industry in general. 

It's multi-faceted I guess. 

A lot of ads, I mean the companies want to sell their stuff and want a "good" image. With various reports over the recent period having highlighted previous under-representation and wotnot, plus the BLM stuff, as Mike said telly is now having more Black people on in part because it's just right, and in part because "it makes them look "good" in the light of what's been exposed and happened.

But you're right that it may be an "easy" fix - "just get some black actors to sell our products in the ads and we're all good". It's a lot more "challenging" for them to [say] "we need more Black folk on the board of our company/in senior positions" and actually follow through on that.  

• Like 1

Â