Racism Part two

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Sure, no disagreement there. I just think that if I am going to critique anyone, I would have a deep look into primary sources. 

I'd say that if it takes 3000 episodes of listening to understand that someone isn't racist, the man should really work on his appearance and statements. We're not in 1982 where it's okay to bandy around the n-word, be using anti-Semitic tropes and discussing how black someone is and if it makes them qualified to be called Afro-American. Maybe you've been come acclimatised to the language, while the rest of society has generally moved on from it. 

The "I'm a stupid man so I didn't know better" or "I have friends so it's okay to be anti-Semitic" infront of 200 million listeners is at best naive, at worst an agenda. You do realise the difference between calling an Italian a pasta-eater and a Jew a "Scheming person looking to get rich", right?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m gonna hope that seeing a bit of footage of some nazi’s rounding up some people and holding torch processions and burning books would negate the need to actually deep dive Mein Kampf?

So,Hitler prefered DVDs then ?!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The "I'm a stupid man so I didn't know better" or "I have friends so it's okay to be anti-Semitic" infront of 200 million listeners is at best naive, at worst an agenda. You do realise the difference between calling an Italian a pasta-eater and a Jew a "Scheming person looking to get rich", right?

I think you are deliberately (and uncharitably) misrepresenting a conversation between friends who take the piss out of each other constantly.

But you would know that if you watch, which you won't, so here we are again going round in circles.

Edited by Mister_a

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m gonna hope that seeing a bit of footage of some nazi’s rounding up some people and holding torch processions and burning books would negate the need to actually deep dive Mein Kampf?

I’ll hold my hand up, I haven’t read it. Hopefully I haven’t pre judged an innocent man.

Haha, that wasn't my point ;)

The point was to not look at basic info and buzz words, but understand the topic to have a solid opinion on it. 

Hitler was bad, but it's better to understand why. As with any other topic :)

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

The point was to not look at basic info and buzz words, but understand the topic to have a solid opinion on it. 

This is bordering on ludicrous. I can get an opinion based on evidence. I do not need to see all the evidence, I form an opinion based on enough evidence. No one is going to devour 3 hour long podcasts of a fairly odious man to see if he is in fact odious or if the n word and the Semitic tropes are ok to his mates. It's not about his mates, this isn't WhatsApp banter between the bros, this is out there for the world to see, to take at face value. Where does he stop and think, I just compared a cinema full of people to the planet of the apes. Maybe that should be cut, nah, my bros thought it was ok. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I can completely agree that we shouldn’t pile on the social media snippets that can frame someone.

I also think anyone can have their mouth run ahead of their brain and should be forgiven rare cock ups (kw).

Personally I know nothing of Rogan and have no interest in finding out. I don’t think I’m his target audience. Similarly, I have no interest in Oprah Winfrey.

What I do think could be an interesting exercise for someone with too much time on their hands, would be a spreadsheet of who is prepared to condemn Corbyn for sharing platforms with nasty folk, that will then make a stand defending the free speech ideals of Rogan’s output. Or indeed, vice versa.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can completely agree that we shouldn’t pile on the social media snippets that can frame someone.

I also think anyone can have their mouth run ahead of their brain and should be forgiven rare cock ups (kw).

Personally I know nothing of Rogan and have no interest in finding out. I don’t think I’m his target audience. Similarly, I have no interest in Oprah Winfrey.

Sure - and I don't see you throwing shit on Rogan or Oprah.

Which is fair. 

She was listening to Radio 4 the other day. They were interviewing ex-Londoners that had shifted to the sticks over Covid.

They were asked if they thought they had done the right thing? Then they were asked what they missed the most? The answer to the second question that kept coming back was the multiculturalism.

The traitor Farage, with the assistance of the Heil, the Express and dipshits on the web, got the non urban population to cut their own throats, using the fear of multiculturalism.

Strange World innit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

She was listening to Radio 4 the other day. They were interviewing ex-Londoners that had shifted to the sticks over Covid.

They were asked if they thought they had done the right thing? Then they were asked what they missed the most? The answer to the second question that kept coming back was the multiculturalism.

The traitor Farage, with the assistance of the Heil, the Express and dipshits on the web, got the non urban population to cut their own throats, using the fear of multiculturalism.

Strange World innit.

I wonder if you flipped the people being questioned to a group from a more monocultural urban area who had moved away, what they missed the most, what they'd answer. Maybe they'd answer that they liked their new multi-cultural location, but I bet a fair number would say they missed the uniformity, or quaintness, or familiarity, or however it would be phrased, nature of their old home - I mean I'm kind of asking whether the answer from either group would really tell us much more than there are aspects of wherever people live that they would miss if they moved to a different type of area? That they see advantages, or things they like, in wherever they live, even if those areas are different?

You're not wrong about Farage and the Heil and stuff, but I'm not convinced is quite as, er, black and white as it might appear.? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I'd say that if it takes 3000 episodes of listening to understand that someone isn't racist, the man should really work on his appearance and statements. We're not in 1982 where it's okay to bandy around the n-word, be using anti-Semitic tropes and discussing how black someone is and if it makes them qualified to be called Afro-American. Maybe you've been come acclimatised to the language, while the rest of society has generally moved on from it. 

I don't think you would need to actually listen to that many episodes.  You could easily make a similar compilation from Curb Your Enthusiasm where he says all sorts of racist and stereotypical stuff about pretty much every minority including his own but you watch the whole thing and can tell Larry David isn't actually racist.  

• Like 2

I think we've gone backwards since the rise of Farage.

We'd not planned on staying in London forever. I'd intended on returning to the West Mids, we're not now.

Friends that moved to Somerset nearly a decade ago feel the same.

She's half Indian and has felt a rise in hostililty over the past few years, building to a particularly ugly incident just before lockdown.

Obviously people do still yearn for the sameness in a location that provided happy times in their formative years, but a lot of Britain has lost its purpose, and things aren't getting better.

People want someone or something to blame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really see how this could be related to critical race theory, which presumably is not something Goldberg has been taught or studied at any point, and I'm not aware of her being some noted expert in the subject. Ignorance seems the likely explanation, or simply that she mis-spoke.

I don't think CRT is that complicated and that most of its prolixity arises from establishing its origins in postmodernism.

I believe Goldberg has taken on some of the dogma of CRT, which states that to be guilty of racism, the person has to be in a position of power or privilege; this is how she reached the conclusion that the holocaust had nothing to do with racism, but was just one privileged class persecuting another privileged class.

This is why some people think CRT is dangerous because its logic leads people to "mispeak", after absorbing its tenets and following its logic to an unfortunate end.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I don't think CRT is that complicated and that most of its prolixity arises from establishing its origins in postmodernism.

I believe Goldberg has taken on some of the dogma of CRT, which states that to be guilty of racism, the person has to be in a position of power or privilege; this is how she reached the conclusion that the holocaust had nothing to do with racism, but was just one privileged class persecuting another privileged class.

This is why some people think CRT is dangerous because its logic leads people to "mispeak", after absorbing its tenets and following its logic to an unfortunate end.

I think any way of thinking that wants to put people into groups and assign characteristics / group-wide guilt to those people is deeply flawed.

I'll stick with individuality thanks.

41 minutes ago, Xann said:

Strange World innit.

Not proper Londoners then, if this was a game of family fortunes the top answer would be pie , mash and liquor. This is all London outcasts i have met ever bang on about 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I think any way of thinking that wants to put people into groups and assign characteristics / group-wide guilt to those people is deeply flawed.

I'll stick with individuality thanks.

This is absolutely fine on a personal level, if only everyone was like this

Other people aren't like that and stick people in groups, hence...

1 minute ago, bickster said:

This is absolutely fine on a personal level, if only everyone was like this

Other people aren't like that and stick people in groups, hence...

Well if people want to be idiots and not relate to people as they meet them on whether they are good people or not, that's up to them.

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not proper Londoners then, if this was a game of family fortunes the top answer would be pie , mash and liquor. This is all London outcasts i have met ever bang on about 

Londoners in London bang on about pie and mash shops. They're not that common anymore.

Deliveroo has probably been a boon to P&M lovers as the vast majority of Londoners aren't within walking distance of one?

• Thanks 1

Â