Racism Part two

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended from the television programme, The View, for claiming the holocaust was not caused by racism - ignorance or the influence of Critical Race Theory?

Sadly there's now a rising trend that it's up to people of other colours to describe what another group should interpret as racism. Joe Rogan, Whoopie Goldberg, PewDiePie and a host of other people seem ignorant to this sort of thing. It doesn't take many minutes into Mein Kampf to realise that Jews and Roma were targeted on racial terms, and this constant undermining of how bad it was\is does something to the collective psyche. 

In Goldberg's place I think she's just an old lady with ignorant views, in the other two there's a clear flirt with the far-right on certain topics.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Sadly there's now a rising trend that it's up to people of other colours to describe what another group should interpret as racism. Joe Rogan, Whoopie Goldberg, PewDiePie and a host of other people seem ignorant to this sort of thing. It doesn't take many minutes into Mein Kampf to realise that Jews and Roma were targeted on racial terms, and this constant undermining of how bad it was\is does something to the collective psyche. 

In Goldberg's place I think she's just an old lady with ignorant views, in the other two there's a clear flirt with the far-right on certain topics.

Could you please describe why you think Joe Rogan tells people what to interpret as racism?

30 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Goldberg was pretty quick to apologise and say she made a mistake, interesting that she's been suspended anyway. 

From the BBC News site 

Earlier on Tuesday, Goldberg issued her third public apology.

"Yesterday on the show I misspoke," she said to open the talk show. 

"[The Holocaust] is indeed about race, because Hitler and the Nazis considered the Jews to be an inferior race. 

"Now, words matter, and mine are no exception. I regret my comments and I stand corrected. I also stand with the Jewish people."

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Context, if you listen to episodes 1 through to 3643 in full, you will get the context and nuance. 

And do make sure to treat everyone the same, except for the racists, anti-vaxxers and rubble that hold your view in which case you leave anything they say unopposed. When called out on said activity claim stupidity.

Edited by magnkarl

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

De=wormed Horses Mouth

1st link - Ari shafir, one of rogans best friends and a regular guest is Jewish, and they keep making fun of their heritage. Ari takes the Mick of Rogan being Italian, he takes the mick out of his Jewish background. One is a pasta eater, the other is a money grabbing banker. They are comedians and are joking around smoking weed. 

2nd link - I would suggest listening to the whole thing and getting to understand the Eric Dyson story. They suggested how it's weird that we group ourselves into colours, like it makes any difference. They talk about pointless divisions and how it's stupid to point anyone's race (like Eric Dyson has done) because we are all different, and you will never meet a "white" or a "black" person - we are all different.

Taking 60 second soundbites out of 3 hour shows is poor form. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

1st link - Ari shafir, one of rogans best friends and a regular guest is Jewish, and they keep making fun of their heritage. Ari takes the Mick of Rogan being Italian, he takes the mick out of his Jewish background. One is a pasta eater, the other is a money grabbing banker. They are comedians and are joking around smoking weed. 

2nd link - I would suggest listening to the whole thing and getting to understand the Eric Dyson story. They suggested how it's weird that we group ourselves into colours, like it makes any difference. They talk about pointless divisions and how it's stupid to point anyone's race (like Eric Dyson has done) because we are all different, and you will never meet a "white" or a "black" person - we are all different.

It's apparently Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson's job to explain race and colour to coloured people, gotcha. They were just joking around smoking weed.

You do spend a lot of time defending this man and his views, by the way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It's apparently Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson's job to explain race and colour to coloured people, gotcha. They were just joking around smoking weed.

You do spend a lot of time defending this man and his views, by the way.

Yeah, because I listen to his shows.

You do spend a lot of time attacking this man and his views, and dont listen to his show. 

That's a bit more weird. 

In fact, you brought him into the conversation about Whoppie Goldberg for no apparent reason. Why?

Edited by Mic09
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Yeah, because I listen to his shows.

You do spend a lot of time attacking this man and his views, and dont listen to his show. 

That's a bit more weird. 

It really isn't weird to not want to listen to racism but to criticise it

Now, listening to it all the time? That's weird

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

It really isn't weird to not want to listen to racism but to criticise it

Now, listening to it all the time? That's weird

Maybe it takes listening to racism to being able to understand what racism is. You know, learning things. But, I don't think his show is racist. 

I'd rather do that, than not watch it and have an opinion. That's not learning things, that's ignorance.

I would happily accept "I don't watch him, so I don't know much about him, but it sounds like he is saying racist things".

But this never happened. Whooppie Goldberg was discussed, about her unfortunate holocaust comment - and all of a sudden racist Rogan is brought into it. By someone who doesn't listen to him.

I think that's poor discussion and buzz words.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

You are entitled hold whatever opinion you like, it doesn't make it palatable to others

Sure, no disagreement there. I just think that if I am going to critique anyone, I would have a deep look into primary sources. 

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Sure, no disagreement there. I just think that if I am going to critique anyone, I would have a deep look into primary sources. 

Yep the thing is to stop when you've seen enough ✅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep the thing is to stop when you've seen enough ✅

You can watch a video of troops parading in Berlin in 1939. That is enough.

Or you can read (and understand) the entire Main Kampf. 

I know who has a deeper understanding of the topic. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I thought we were past the "It's okay to be antisemitic, I know a Jew" thing?

Some of my friends are.... Heard it before?

It's like Corbyn going to a Jewdas event and claiming that it removes all his dubious past anti-Semitic tropes.

Edited by magnkarl

Â