Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know what the initial tweet said, but this was the reply to the reply:

DBaOCdlXoAEQb-M?format=jpg&name=large

Not sure what's more despicable. His comments or the Manchester is wonderful graphic. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not sure what's more despicable. His comments or the Manchester is wonderful graphic. 

A Yorkshireman praising Manchester? 

Broken Britain. 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

A Yorkshireman praising Manchester? 

Broken Britain. 

He was born in Manchester. Tone deafly and insensitively this week tried to equate his experiences as a Manc in the Yorkshire dressing room with those of the players with Asian heritage. Awful.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 18:46, mjmooney said:

Charlie Williams did several. 

He appeared at a holiday camp I was staying at in Seaton Devon in 1983. Some of his material was racist against Asian people. I remember a Sikh family walking out. Can't remember what he said to them as they left, but the audience thought it was funny. 

On 06/11/2021 at 09:24, mjmooney said:

Lord Patel of Bradford appointed as new chief exec at YCCC. You can imagine how the gammons are reacting on Facebook. 

The appointment does come across a little like ‘“im not racist I’ve got black friends”

The Dutch Santa arrived yesterday in various parts of the country (by boat usually) and everyone dresses up to meet him. The kids and the adults.

Normal adults from all parts of the country do this:-

Just thinking of how it would go down in Aston for example ?

Lots of protests this year again and it is 100% outrageous,  shocking and a bit **** sad if you ask me.

Hid it as it is out of order for a EU main member to do this every year and not think it odd. 

Spoiler

pete.jpg.b0778866d773b498df4a2f8b62ebab76.jpg

D66 wil Zwarte Piet in Papendrecht inwisselen voor roetveegpieten [update]

24 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The Dutch Santa arrived yesterday in various parts of the country (by boat usually) and everyone dresses up to meet him. The kids and the adults.

Normal adults from all parts of the country do this:-

Just thinking of how it would go down in Aston for example ?

Lots of protests this year again and it is 100% outrageous,  shocking and a bit **** sad if you ask me.

Hid it as it is out of order for a EU main member to do this every year and not think it odd. 

Hide contents

pete.jpg.b0778866d773b498df4a2f8b62ebab76.jpg

D66 wil Zwarte Piet in Papendrecht inwisselen voor roetveegpieten [update]

What are they trying to represent?

Is that a dumb question?  

I need more info, but it doesn't look great, does it? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Santas helper who has a black face from the chimney soot

why he has trademark stereotype  lips and hoop earrings is beyond me , but I’m not Dutch so maybe that’s how they think Santa’s helper looks.

it’s one thing having traditions and saying we’ve always done this , but it should take no more than a second to realise that some traditions shouldn’t continue 

Absolutely, like bull fighting, public executions and general "black face" stuff.  I wasn't sure if there was something to it which required it.  

And tbh I didn't notice the lips/hoops - that would mean nothing to me. 

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

What are they trying to represent?

Is that a dumb question?  

I need more info, but it doesn't look great, does it? 

In the Netherlands the Father Christmas story includes a helper, Zwarte Piet ('Black Pete') who appears in the run up to Christmas to hand out sweets. The Dutch celebrate a a kind of 'beginning of Christmas' day at the start of December where they have parades and things of Father Christmas welcoming the season and Zwarte Piet is like the right hand man who gives kids treats.

• Thanks 2

I have no idea what I was expecting when I clicked on the spoiler, but that is so outrageous I had to laugh.

I'd never heard of this before but it seems like the sootie face is a fairly modern explanation to try to retrospectively change the character to be more PC( believe it or not) and historically it was just blackface in honour of santa's black slaves. Yikes.

• Like 1

It actually arguably gets worse. Zwarte Piet is, in some versions of the story, basically a demon forced to help Father Christmas. So either he happens to slaves who are obviously black people (down to caricatures of curly black hair and 'prominent lips'), or said obviously black people are actually evil demons forced to work for their angelic white master. 

Grim.

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It actually arguably gets worse. Zwarte Piet is, in some versions of the story, basically a demon forced to help Father Christmas. So either he happens to slaves who are obviously black people (down to caricatures of curly black hair and 'prominent lips'), or said obviously black people are actually evil demons forced to work for their angelic white master. 

Grim.

In many, many ways the Netherlands is way ahead of other countries in some things,  drugs,  family life, environmental, health and child safety as a few examples.  Things like the Black Pete thing though,  its like living in a Carry on film for a day.  Utterly indefensible and embarrassing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

In many, many ways the Netherlands is way ahead of other countries in some things,  drugs,  family life, environmental, health and child safety as a few examples.  Things like the Black Pete thing though,  its like living in a Carry on film for a day.  Utterly indefensible and embarrassing. 

Is it at all controversial, though? I'm imagining Dutch gammons on Facebook defending it as harmless fun in the face of objections from 'politically correct woke BLM snowflakes'.  

Â