Racism Part two

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's multi-faceted I guess. 

A lot of ads, I mean the companies want to sell their stuff and want a "good" image. With various reports over the recent period having highlighted previous under-representation and wotnot, plus the BLM stuff, as Mike said telly is now having more Black people on in part because it's just right, and in part because "it makes them look "good" in the light of what's been exposed and happened.

But you're right that it may be an "easy" fix - "just get some black actors to sell our products in the ads and we're all good". It's a lot more "challenging" for them to [say] "we need more Black folk on the board of our company/in senior positions" and actually follow through on that.  

Do you have any theories Andy as to why British Asians are so under represented given the figures, I am at a bit of a loss and can only guess that there could be more racial acceptance of black people than Asians, But that could be way off the mark

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Interesting really. Genuine question and my mind is a blank so others may recall. Has a black male or female fronted a prime time light entertainment programme on british television? BBC1 or ITV. Not talking a panel member, e.g Banjo or Alicia Dixon. Front a light entertainment show. 
As I got to the end I could recall only one and that is Marvin and Rochelle fronting The Hit List. 

Charlie Williams did several. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Do you have any theories Andy as to why British Asians are so under represented given the figures, I am at a bit of a loss and can only guess that there could be more racial acceptance of black people than Asians, But that could be way off the mark

I think a lot of that is down to Islamaphobia and related religious/cultural predjudices. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

In the last couple of years I've noticed a HUGE change in representation of non-white people on TV, and particularly in adverts. I've seen some ad breaks where every single ad has featured black or Asian people. A really positive move IMO, but I'll bet it infuriates racists. 

Yes and no.  The overwhelming image in adverts, in fact probably 90% of all "family" scenes seem to show mixed race families/couples.  It's actually almost spooky. Almost like all white or all black couples don't even exist. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bickster said:

You people actually watch adverts?

Not since I found out the Pillsbury dough man was not actually real or living in a can of Pillsbury dough. Ruined my childhood, made me into the monster I am today

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not since I found out the Pillsbury dough man was not actually real or living in a can of Pillsbury dough. Ruined my childhood

At least Green Giant is real👍

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

. In addition British Asians who represent half of the UK's BAME population are underrepresented by around 20% in TV, again we need to find out why and address this. 

I was thinking similar. Lots of Black people, but hardly any Asians.

19 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

In addition British Asians who represent half of the UK's BAME population are underrepresented by around 20% in TV, again we need to find out why and address this. 

At a guess I would say a lot of this could be a generation thing. Second generation Asians were pretty much encouraged to study hard and get a good safe academic based job rather than risk doing something that you may or may not be a success in, I.e. sports, drama, arts etc. 

Now with 3rd generation Asians this is changing massively! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4 killed in London, Ont. attack likely targeted for being Muslim, police say

Four members of a London, Ont., family who were struck and killed by a vehicle in the city’s northwest Sunday evening are believed to have been targeted because they were Muslim, the area’s police chief says.

“We believe this was an intentional act and that the victims of this horrific incident were targeted,” Chief Steve Williams told reporters during a news conference Monday afternoon.

“We believe the victims were targeted because of their Islamic faith.”

Williams called Sunday’s attack a “devastating loss” for the community.

“We understand that this event may cause fear and anxiety in the community and in particular the Muslim community and any community targeted by hate. I want to reassure all Londoners that all of us on the call today and many others stand with you and support you,” he said.

It was Sunday evening at around 8:40 p.m. when Det. Supt. Paul Waight said emergency crews were called to the intersection of Hyde Park and South Carriage roads, south of Gainsborough Road. He said it’s alleged the driver of a black pick-up truck drove south on Hyde Park Road, mounted the sidewalk and struck the family members.

Waight said the vehicle took off southbound “at a high rate of speed.” Approximately five minutes later, he said the driver stopped the vehicle at Cherryhill Village Mall at Cherryhill Boulevard and Oxford Street West, which is roughly a six-kilometre drive away from the scene.

The accused was subsequently arrested by police. Waight said the suspect was wearing “a vest that appeared to be like body armour” at the time of his arrest.

“There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act motivated by hate. It is believed that these victims were targeted because they were Muslim,” Waight said.

“There is no known previous connection between the suspect and the victims.”

Officers said a 74-year-old woman died at the scene. A 44-year-old woman, a 46-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl were rushed to hospital by paramedics, but they later died of their injuries. Family members requested the names of the victims be withheld due to privacy reasons.

A nine-year-old boy related to the deceased was also taken to hospital where he is being treated for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

READ MORE: A look at Islamophobia in Canada, 3 years after the Quebec mosque shooting

The accused in the case, 20-year-old London resident Nathaniel Veltman, was charged with four counts of first-degree murder and a count of attempted murder. He appeared through an audio link in a London court on Monday. He was remanded into custody and scheduled to appear in court again on Thursday. The charges against Veltman haven’t been proven in court.

Nawaz Tahir, a lawyer and a leader in London’s Muslim community, said the minds of many community members are “numb with pain” after the deaths.

“A Muslim family out for a walk on a beautiful summer evening was run down by a car driven by a man who appears to have been filled with hate. One child remains in hospital and four people will never return home again,” he told reporters.

READ MORE: Islamophobia in Canada isn’t new. Experts say it’s time we face the problem

“The horror that has visited this family, the Canadian Muslim community, and Canada at large last night is unfathomable. These were innocent human beings who were killed simply because they’re Muslim.”

Tahir went on to describe how the Muslim community has a “long history” with London.

“This is our home and it is as much a part of us as we are a part of it. The individual that did this doesn’t understand that,” he said.

“We will stand strong against hate. We will stand strong against Islamophobia. We will respond to those trying to inflict terror on our community with love. We will survive this test through faith, through love, through our unshakable belief in God and our quest for justice.”

Qazi Khalil, who said he went for walks with the man who died, described him as a dedicated father and an active community member who participated in local events.

“(He was a) family guy, he always loved to walk with his family on the evening walks. Most of the time I [would] cross paths with them,” Khalil said
“He was a really good dad, a really good person, and a really active community member. He always went to our mosque. He was an active member there as well. So I still, you know… I’m in total shock.”

London Mayor Ed Holder called the act one of “mass murder,” saying many hearts are “broken” after Sunday’s incident.

“This was an act of mass murder, perpetrated against Muslims, against Londoners, and rooted in unspeakable hatred. The magnitude of such hatred can make one question who we are as a city and who we are as Londoners,” he told reporters.

“It’s up to us – all of us – to answer that question through not only our words, but our actions. We can say, ‘This isn’t who we are,’ and I know that to be true. Words, though, are not enough. We must demonstrate, behave, and act on those words.”

A crowdfunding campaign was launched on Monday to support the nine-year-old boy. As of Monday evening, it raised more than US$117,000.

Meanwhile, anyone with information about the incident was asked to call a dedicated police tip line at 519-661-5515 ext. 5842 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

Link

This is London, Canada by the way. The perpetrator is just 20 years old which doesn't really bode well for the people who are of the mindset that this will die out with the younger generation.

People's idea of 'colour' are weird. 

'White' people are mostly pink. 

'Black' people are mostly brown. 

Native Americans aren't 'red' and oriental people aren't 'yellow'.  

• 3 months later...

This is just mental isn't it? He's not helped himself with denying it instead of fessing up and apologising, but 8 weeks in prison for that? There's no mention of it being posted directly to or tagging the player in question, so it's not like he's harrassing the player. It's a shitty message, and I'd want nothing to do with someone who posted it, but not only has it been deemed criminal it's enough for a prison sentence?!

https://news.sky.com/story/west-bromwich-albion-fan-simon-silwood-jailed-for-eight-weeks-for-racially-abusing-footballer-romaine-sawyers-on-facebook-12421974

A West Bromwich Albion fan has been jailed for eight weeks after racially abusing one of the team's players on Facebook.

Simon Silwood wrote that midfielder Romaine Sawyers should win the "Baboon d'Or" - a sarcastic reference to the prestigious Ballon d'Or trophy.

Silwood posted the racist remark after West Brom lost 5-0 to Manchester City on 26 January.

The 50-year-old denied the offence, telling police his message on the group was "stupid not racial".

He claimed autocorrect had changed the word "buffoon" to "baboon".

Sawyers, who is currently on loan at Stoke City, told a court he felt "harassed, alarmed and distressed" after reading the message.

Silwood, who has been banned for life by West Brom, was convicted at Walsall Magistrates' Court last month.

District Judge Briony Clarke ruled he was "not a credible witness" and had meant the post to be offensive.

Passing sentence at Birmingham Magistrates' Court, the judge said: "This is, Mr Silwood, a serious offence.

"There is no place for racism or racist abuse online. This clearly in my view crosses the custody threshold.

"I assess the remorse you have for your actions as very minimal indeed.

"In my view it (the offence) falls into the category of greatest harm. We have to accept it had a wider impact and a substantial impact on Mr Sawyers.

"In my view, taking into account what I have heard, there is no reason to suspend the sentence."

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

This is just mental isn't it? He's not helped himself with denying it instead of fessing up and apologising, but 8 weeks in prison for that? There's no mention of it being posted directly to or tagging the player in question, so it's not like he's harrassing the player. It's a shitty message, and I'd want nothing to do with someone who posted it, but not only has it been deemed criminal it's enough for a prison sentence?!

https://news.sky.com/story/west-bromwich-albion-fan-simon-silwood-jailed-for-eight-weeks-for-racially-abusing-footballer-romaine-sawyers-on-facebook-12421974

Perhaps it’s down to his attitude in court? He denied any wrongdoing and perhaps showed zero remorse for his actions?

Total stupidity from start to finish and deserves it. 

The USA is a viciously racist place. Every day that goes by I'm reminded of it, and I realize its worse than I thought the day before. If the right wing could institute slavery again, they would. 

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The USA is a viciously racist place. Every day that goes by I'm reminded of it, and I realize its worse than I thought the day before. If the right wing could institute slavery again, they would. 

Shocking. Not sure if we’ll ever get to a place where racism doesn’t exist. 

Â