Racism Part two

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Looking at the Yorkshire situation, I think back to an article written by a prominent journalist in  2006 when Moeen Ali decided to leave Warwickshire and hinted that racism within the club  was the reason.  That was then this now so i wouldn't suggest its like that now. 

I think it's worth bearing in mind that while football and rugby have become more racially mixed over the last 15 years, cricket has gone into reverse and become both whiter and posher. England have fielded all-white sides this calendar year. As playing fields have been sold off and cricket taken off school curricula, it's become increasingly the case that the main route to playing is to have gone to a fee-paying school, whose students are significantly whiter than the population at large. They are intertwined problems, and it's not hard for me to believe that the effect has been an increasing presence for the kind of casual racist 'banter' you get from wealthy white teenagers.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's worth bearing in mind that while football and rugby have become more racially mixed over the last 15 years, cricket has gone into reverse and become both whiter and posher. England have fielded all-white sides this calendar year. As playing fields have been sold off and cricket taken off school curricula, it's become increasingly the case that the main route to playing is to have gone to a fee-paying school, whose students are significantly whiter than the population at large. They are intertwined problems, and it's not hard for me to believe that the effect has been an increasing presence for the kind of casual racist 'banter' you get from wealthy white teenagers.

Yes its very much a white middle-class sport in this country. How many asian cricketers have come through the Warwickshire academy and progressed to winning their county caps?

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes its very much a white middle-class sport in this country. How many asian cricketers have come through the Warwickshire academy and progressed to winning their county caps?

My nephew is one of western Australia's more gifted cricketers as well as a hockey goalkeeper and regularly gets picked for both state and national performance squad training camps. He is 19 and will probably make more of an impact in hockey eventually and has already toured with the national team. 

The thing is, most if not all of these players are public school educated (including my nephew) so the facilities available to them are incredible. The schools are able to pay ex pros for coaching (graeme wood at my nephew's school, as well as adam gilchrist helping out as a dad of one of the pupils there).

It is almost a closed shop for the rich kids. Then, within that shop are further levels, mainly that if ur from NSW then you're pretty much guaranteed to be picked for your country). It's very rare to see native Australians or those like usman kuwaja sustain a place in the team.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

How many asian cricketers have come through the Warwickshire academy and progressed to winning their county caps?

Both those comments are right....But...there are people doing brilliant stuff.

“I don’t think enough targeted work is being done to connect everything,” she explains. “For the most underrepresented groups, to build and think through all the barriers and connect them up so that you can make it through the pathway, that’s not in place at the moment.”

The end of last October, then, was a momentous occasion for what began as a mini project originally designed to fast-track talented young people of African-Caribbean heritage into a system that has failed to address a perpetual decline in cricket participation among members of the black community.

It transformed the initiative into a national entity, with significant financial support from Sport England and the ECB, which has since been backed up by Royal London, whose investment helped to launch a third base in Bristol. Birmingham was the second city to be introduced – and the first of several planned expansions; all being well, Manchester, Nottingham and Leeds will follow in the next year and a half.

The effort to reach this point has been gargantuan, a labour of love and a calling that Rainford-Brent quite simply could put off no longer. “I think there was a bit of self-resistance about doing this, but now we have to get on with this and get it done.” Until Sophia Dunkley’s arrival on the scene, Rainford-Brent remained for a decade as the only black woman to play for England. Her learnings as the driving force behind ACE have accentuated what she understood of her playing career as an anomaly, such were the hurdles she had to wade through to reach the top.

The rise and rise of the ACE Programme | The Cricketer

That article focuses on a project that started up to help the mostly black people around the Oval and its catchment area and which has expanded to Birmingham now, too. It's fantastic. It's a shame that it took an exceptional person who is a black, female ex-cricketer to get it all going, and obviously she identifies that there are still major problems, but at least her and others are doing something, even if the actual cricket authorities and establishment haven't done nearly enough. You'd hope that it all snowballs and the sport and participation it it and people from all walks benefit hugely as a result.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well the best thing to come out of this sordid story is the impending sacking of Michael Vaughan on TMS. 

What's he done? Is this about the time he demanded Moeen Ali do more to stop terrorism, or is it something else?

• Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What's he done? Is this about the time he demanded Moeen Ali do more to stop terrorism, or is it something else?

Said something racist which has been confirmed by 2 witnesses. He is playing a defensive stroke by denying it but hopefully they can suspend him pending investigation and then sack him off. Dreadful commentator.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He never said that did he ?

Jesus 

57 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well the best thing to come out of this sordid story is the impending sacking of Michael Vaughan on TMS. 

I really can't stand that weasely snake 

Allegedly he said 'There's too many of you lot' before a match.  I won't shed a tear if Vaughan is sacked, such a disappointment that such a great captain has turned into the biggest dickhead in commentary (just pipping Graeme Swann) but TMS kept Boycott on after some pretty racially insensitive stuff.

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Allegedly he said 'There's too many of you lot' before a match.  I won't shed a tear if Vaughan is sacked, such a disappointment that such a great captain has turned into the biggest dickhead in commentary (just pipping Graeme Swann) but TMS kept Boycott on after some pretty racially insensitive stuff.

Different era.

• Haha 1

Â