Racism Part two

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah there we go, attempting to tarnish someones name with unstated and unsubstantiated rumours. Brilliant

He gave as good as he got sounds like the rapist saying she was asking for it

There are 2 sides, but are we to believe everything he says and nothing that no one else says. As I said, I'm sure more will come out of this, it's already starting with his historical tweet.

I'm far from trying to justify the racism he endured though?

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the key thing to remember is that even if this guy has done much worse than this one message, someone being a scumbag doesn't invalidate the things he's brought to light.

That's true.

That said, Michael Vaughan for example is said to have spoken in a dressing room to some of his team, or the Yorkshire team "there's too many of you lot". Now that might be taken as kind of "there are too many asian players in here" in a very racist sense. It also might be taken (meant as) as humorous within an exchange, but (obviously) not received as such by the asian players. He's probably going to lose his job over a remark made a decade ago or longer that he doesn't remember. I don't particularly like Vaughan as a commentator/pundit, but there is a kind of double standard at play, a bit. He shouldn't have said it, but sometimes if no offence is meant, that needs to be taken into account.

So IMO they were both wrong to have done their "jokes" (if they did), but neither deserves vilification for it if they either are contrite or if they genuinely don't recall making a throw away light hearted commented 15 years ago, or whenever. Vaughan should apologise, I think.

Caveat: if Vaughan said it and meant it in a genuinely racist way, then that change things.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There are 2 sides, but are we to believe everything he says and nothing that no one else says. As I said, I'm sure more will come out of this, it's already starting with his historical tweet.

I'm far from trying to justify the racism he endured though?

So vague. What have you heard? What else is coming out?

Have we moved on to having racism ITKs now?

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

That's true.

That said, Michael Vaughan for example is said to have spoken in a dressing room to some of his team, or the Yorkshire team "there's too many of you lot". Now that might be taken as kind of "there are too many asian players in here" in a very racist sense. It also might be taken (meant as) as humorous within an exchange, but (obviously) not received as such by the asian players. He's probably going to lose his job over a remark made a decade ago or longer that he doesn't remember. I don't particularly like Vaughan as a commentator/pundit, but there is a kind of double standard at play, a bit. He shouldn't have said it, but sometimes if no offence is meant, that needs to be taken into account.

So IMO they were both wrong to have done their "jokes" (if they did), but neither deserves vilification for it if they either are contrite or if they genuinely don't recall making a throw away light hearted commented 15 years ago, or whenever. Vaughan should apologise, I think.

Caveat: if Vaughan said it and meant it in a genuinely racist way, then that change things.

I was literally going to say the same thing about Vaughan.  I can imagine myself in the same scenario, being proud to be in a team with 4 Asian players for the first time ever at a club that's been notoriously slow in adapting to changes in society, shaking their hands and congratulating them.  Then saying 'but yeah, there are too many of you and we have to do something about that :trollface:'.  Obviously the trollface is a key element in the whole exchange.  I don't like Vaughan as a commentator at all but there aren't really people coming out of the woodwork with anecdotes about him being racist.  A few gammon provocateur Twitter posts maybe.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No one is saying it justifies the racism he endured. But I'm expecting more to come out on him. Rumour is, he gave as good as he got.

Awful for all those cricketers from white backgrounds who Rafiq and his majority discriminated against. Nevermind at least Rafiq has a highly paid job and a network of likeminded racists to fall back on. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was literally going to say the same thing about Vaughan.  I can imagine myself in the same scenario, being proud to be in a team with 4 Asian players for the first time ever at a club that's been notoriously slow in adapting to changes in society, shaking their hands and congratulating them.  Then saying 'but yeah, there are too many of you and we have to do something about that :trollface:'.  Obviously the trollface is a key element in the whole exchange.  I don't like Vaughan as a commentator at all but there aren't really people coming out of the woodwork with anecdotes about him being racist.  A few gammon provocateur Twitter posts maybe.  

It's the kind of thing I could see myself saying to my aussie or Irish coworkers, but wouldn't dream of saying to the Indian people in the team, which is probably a bit prejudiced now I think about it :D 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Oh yeah I forgot, because I don't back Azeem fuly I must be racist myself, the same as not agreeing with taking the knee, what a hard core racist I must be???

What do you mean you don’t ‘back’ him? Are you saying you doubt his story in some way? You’ve already suggested there was more to come out, was that guess work on your part or do you know something you don’t feel you want to share yet?

I don’t think anyone has offered him up as some Jesus figure, so what is it you don’t ‘back’. He had already said people make mistakes and it should be possible to apologise, learn, and move on. His issue has been with denial of racism where there is evidence and a lack of desire to face it. What is it about that you can’t ‘back’?

It doesn’t have to be a zero sum game. It can be all of us on a learning curve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Oh yeah I forgot, because I don't back Azeem fuly I must be racist myself, the same as not agreeing with taking the knee, what a hard core racist I must be???

Have you ever suffered discrimination in any shape or form? 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Have you ever suffered discrimination in any shape or form? 

He probably thinks black lives matter is discriminatory against white people to be honest, based on previous posts.

Â