Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I really like the player and comments such as this make him more likeable. I am really tired of players not bothering, it has been happening for far too long at Villa. 

I don’t think he is going anyway this window at least. Think we are more likely to see Cash/Guilbert challenging for the RB role and Elmo part of the squad to fill in where required as we saw last night. Professionalism at its highest and it that is a minimum standard now. Love it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You will be waiting months to get a response 😉

Not expected anything less

Just that "facts wise" he was our highest rated defensive player last year at whoscored with 6.89 (Targett was second with 6.86). Elmo who is "comfortably" better had 6.55

I hope we are not quick to transfer him out. I see him being a valuable member of the squad as the season progresses. Furthermore, from a business standpoint, if we really want/need to sell him we can probably get much more around the January window when teams are desperate to bring in players and plug gaps.

1 hour ago, MentalM said:

Not expected anything less

Just that "facts wise" he was our highest rated defensive player last year at whoscored with 6.89 (Targett was second with 6.86). Elmo who is "comfortably" better had 6.55

Defensive duties is just half the job.

Had it not been for Elmo's crosses and also his goal against Newcastle we wouldn't even be in this league.

Guilbert is shocking going forward and we need another RB in the same mold of Matty Cash.

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Had it not been for Elmo's crosses and also his goal against Newcastle we wouldn't even be in this league.

Guilbert is shocking going forward and we need another RB in the same mold of Matty Cash.

Still he does that half job better than the others you mention... You could turn it around and say had it not been for his defensive contribution we would not be in this league. Do you use a Ouija board to come up with your "facts"...

Yes, he lacks somewhat in the offensive parts. Does that mean he is worse than Cash and Elmohamedy, no. Cash is unproven, and Guilbert is PROVEN to be our best rightback.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Lot's of sentimentality going around here because you like the guy.

Fact is Elmo and Cash are both comfortably better than him.

This guy can't cross and defensively he was all over the place last season. Getting some money out of him and off the wage bill would just help a lot when trying to sign some more players.

Guilbert isn't good enough for where we want to get to. Simple as that.

Sorry but i find this post rather ironic considering the constant unconditional praise you lavish on Keinan Davis, who is currently a striker who struggles to  score. I like KD and want him to do well but it you cant have it both ways. I seem to remember Fred defending rather well a lot of the time in his first season in the premier league, also making a few mistakes. Your post is just contradictory based on your posts un the KD thread. In reality is KD good enough for where we want to get to, probably not, but both he and Fred have roles to play.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Lot's of sentimentality going around here because you like the guy.

Fact is Elmo and Cash are both comfortably better than him.

This guy can't cross and defensively he was all over the place last season. Getting some money out of him and off the wage bill would just help a lot when trying to sign some more players.

Guilbert isn't good enough for where we want to get to. Simple as that.

Opps, double post

Edited by honest_bertie

9 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Call me old fashioned, but if Villa are leading games with 20mins or so to go, what type of fullbacks would you prefer to retain that lead? I’d go with the full blooded commitment of a Freddy type, not scintillating going forward but absolutely relishes the challenge of stopping players going past him. We need a mix of players for different games and different stages of games. 

You lot are talking like Fred is great defensively which he ain't.

His poor positional awareness led to him getting caught out a lot of times last season.

Fred is expendable to me. But let's agree to disagree.

Elmo and Cash both has got a great cross on them and they are the ones i'd prefer be our RB options this season.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

His poor positional awareness led to him getting caught out a lot of times last season.

Elmo and Cash both has got a great cross on them and they are the ones i'd prefer be our RB options this season.

Has the best defensive stats of anyone on our team. He is a defender.

People talking like he was our most solid and reliable defender ? That's because he was.

Its really not difficult to comprehend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Exactly the right attitude we need at the club,a certain attitude that has been missing, a desire to actually play football and fight for his place, it's good to see, I hope we keep him, we need to be rewarding this type of attitude.

Yeah he does have a good attitude. But thats not enough at this level. Hence the £16m spent on Cash and Elmo being reserve RB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In my opinion guilbert won us the game against arsenal. He shut down, Tierney lacazette and auba all night long. And that was clearly our most important result over the season. We also only won game without him playing which was the crystal palace game. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fred has had among the best tackle stats in Europe for the past 4 seasons. The only players that are better than him are wan bissaka and pereira one of whom was the 2nd best player in the league last season (single handedly carrying Leicester to 3rd) and the other plays for man United after they spent 50 million on him. 

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Fred has had among the best tackle stats in Europe for the past 4 seasons. The only players that are better than him are wan bissaka and pereira one of whom was the 2nd best player in the league last season (single handedly carrying Leicester to 3rd) and the other plays for man United after they spent 50 million on him. 

I don't like Bissaka and i don't like Fred.

I like defenders who stay on their feet, reads the game well and have good positional awareness.

I know that sliding in is just his style but it's not the style that i like.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't like Bissaka and i don't like Fred.

I like defenders who stay on their feet, reads the game well and have good positional awareness.

I know that sliding in is just his style but it's not the style that i like.

He does have good positional awareness otherwise he wouldn't be 2nd in our team for interceptions in top of being in the right place to win tackles. You just don't like him for some reason. He offers more going forward than elmo because overlapping helps our wingers even if he has no end product because he draws a defender away and creates space for them to operate (despite that he got 2 assists last season the same as targett and more than elmo). Yes he played twice the number of minutes so he essentially offers the same end product as elmo whilst being far better defensively and involved in all but one of our wins. 

• Like 1

Â