Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Based on his total omission from the matchday squad I assume its correct.  No reason unless he has an injury we weren't told about.

Sad to lose him but at least Cash looked decent, although yet to see him pressured defensviely so cant really review that side of him after a match like tonight's.

Feel he's been harshly treated if we're moving him on largely against his will, but sure he'll do just fine out of it financially and go on to achieve decent things in his career.

1st choice RB - Cash

2nd choice - Elmo

3rd choice - Guilbert....

How many sub right backs do you expect on the bench.???

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

1st choice RB - Cash

2nd choice - Elmo

3rd choice - Guilbert....

How many sub right backs do you expect on the bench.???

I'm aware you don't rate Fred. I'd have him over Elmo. Cash is better than Elmo offensively based on tonight, and based on Elmos so so performance against Burton.

If we want something different to come on at right back, such as to stop a team that may be exploiting that side, Elmo wont help in that scenario. And with Traore coming I dont see a need for Elmo on the bench for any reason.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

Think the issue here is we can get some money for him, was talk of 5m from Nantes wasn't it? We're certainly not going to be getting 5m for Lansbury or Jota or even Samatta so he's probably the most profitable of our squad players.

I'd like to keep him and give him another chance but if we're going to spend another 40m on 2-3 players then we will have to recoup some cash from somewhere

24 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm aware you don't rate Fred. I'd have him over Elmo. Cash is better than Elmo offensively based on tonight, and based on Elmos so so performance against Burton.

If we want something different to come on at right back, such as to stop a team that may be exploiting that side, Elmo wont help in that scenario. And with Traore coming I dont see a need for Elmo on the bench for any reason.

Youre original post said that Fred had been harshly treated. He only got back in the side last season when Elmo was injured - he didn't feature much pre season - our first signing was a £16M guy slap bang in his position - Freddie himself said he didn't think he played that well last season. That may or may not be unfair on Freddie - but it shouldn't really come as a surprise. Sure he's a grafter, and has a fine last ditch tackle on him - is that enough at this level ? - It would seem DS and the coaching team don't think so - theres been no rumbling of interest from other PL clubs. I get you like him - but if we want to shift up the league the likes of Freddie aren't cutting it - If he's that good, he will go on to greater things somewhere else...... 😃😃

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think the issue here is we can get some money for him, was talk of 5m from Nantes wasn't it? We're certainly not going to be getting 5m for Lansbury or Jota or even Samatta so he's probably the most profitable of our squad players.

I'd like to keep him and give him another chance but if we're going to spend another 40m on 2-3 players then we will have to recoup some cash from somewhere

Thought Nantes only wanted him on loan - and lost interest when a fee was mentioned.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I'd quite like to see him loaned out for a season. Elmo is 34 next year.

May well happen - but the villa board have said they don't won't players who aren't cutting it - picking up a wage and turning for the u23's - I think a loan might be an option if no one wants to come up with £4 -5m transfer fee.

59 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Stacy? 

Na, Rougeau.  Stacey gone.

57 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wouldn't believe it.

Time will tell, It would tie in with everything else that's been going in with him. Absent from friendlies and not in today's squad and no sign of being injured.

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Na, Rougeau.  Stacey gone.

Time will tell, It would tie in with everything else that's been going in with him. Absent from friendlies and not in today's squad and no sign of being injured.

?????

Personally I think his absence is simply  that DS sees him as 3rd choice FB. 

There's only been weak interest and Freddie himself has said he wants to stay.

Any solid interest and he'd be gone by now IMO.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

?????

Personally I think his absence is simply  that DS sees him as 3rd choice FB. 

There's only been weak interest and Freddie himself has said he wants to stay.

Any solid interest and he'd be gone by now IMO.

Sure,  just relaying what someone text me.

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Madness to sell this guy considering the state of some of our squad. He only played 25 games last season and I think he was involved in every win we had apart from 1 game, we looked more balanced with him in the team IMO.

Me too. I think he could still offer something. However, if it's a trade off to sign a winger/CM, I understand. Not many of our fringes are saleable. 

14 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Madness to sell this guy considering the state of some of our squad. He only played 25 games last season and I think he was involved in every win we had apart from 1 game, we looked more balanced with him in the team IMO.

We may have told him he is not guaranteed 1st choice this season and he has since told the club to loan him or sell him?

The club obviously see Cash as first choice and are not convinced enough by Guilbert.

No idea.

3 hours ago, Thug said:

He’s a good tackler.

aside from that he offers nothing.  Going forward, nothing.  Positionally poor, pushed off the ball far too easily.

His tackling stats look great, but you have to question why he needs to be making so many?

Why does Ricardo pereira have to make so many? Someone needs to win the ball and last season it sadly wasn't anyone else. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Youre original post said that Fred had been harshly treated. He only got back in the side last season when Elmo was injured - he didn't feature much pre season - our first signing was a £16M guy slap bang in his position - Freddie himself said he didn't think he played that well last season. That may or may not be unfair on Freddie - but it shouldn't really come as a surprise. Sure he's a grafter, and has a fine last ditch tackle on him - is that enough at this level ? - It would seem DS and the coaching team don't think so - theres been no rumbling of interest from other PL clubs. I get you like him - but if we want to shift up the league the likes of Freddie aren't cutting it - If he's that good, he will go on to greater things somewhere else...... 😃😃

nope for the 500th time Guilbert started more games than Elmo. His first game from injury Elmo was injured and Guilbert took his place back but keep your anti Guilbert agenda 

If it means he has to be sold so it ensures we get enough cash together to get another target over the line to keep within this season's budget then so be it.

He would be the only player with any sell on value of those we need to offload.

£7m between him and Hogan could help pay the wages of a new signing's contract.

Would be a shame if he went, I like the dude, plus with Traore a Natural French speaker he may help him settle and build up a relationship down the flank. Obviously it helps that Traore has been in England a lot before so can talk to Cash. 
If it’s to help balance the books it makes sense, we have to sell some I suppose 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

nope for the 500th time Guilbert started more games than Elmo. His first game from injury Elmo was injured and Guilbert took his place back but keep your anti Guilbert agenda 

All I said was Guilbert got back in the side when Elmo got injured. Which is true.

I didn't even mention who had played the most games.

Â