Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, a m ole said:

If you wanna actually analyse what he did wrong, it was nothing to do with not jumping or challenging or playing the man not the ball, as the chance to clear was already gone as soon as the cross came in. He wasn’t close enough to Lukaku in the first place which meant he couldn’t anticipate get to the ball first, it was his positioning.

Nudging Lukaku was a last ditch attempt to put him off because he couldn’t reach the ball first and knew it.

could be...

but it didn't look good.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

To be honest Sheepy, I think you have a point.

A lot of the good work was undone, by cheap errors......I think Matty does have a few wobbly moments, but on this occasion, I think he was left holding the baby by sleepy team mates, who could have helped....most of the game they had 2 or 3 isolated on the far side of play, meaning when the ball was switched, Matt Cash was on his own.

But there is absolutely no need to make that stupid challenge.  Nothing can justify being that reckless. It changed the whole momentum of the match.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 3

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

But there is absolutely no need to make that stupid challenge.  Nothing can justify being that reckless. It changed the whole momentum of the matchl

yes it did....our mentality shifted.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Last season was recorded as 1 mistake I think 

What fans define as a mistake and what the PL stats do would be interesting 

The Lukaku goal for example for me would go down as a konsa mistake leading to a goal, mings role in it would be classed as shit defending but not a mistake 

Tomato/ tomato. 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not though

Villa fans somehow love the idea that he's making a mistake every week and losing us points 

The official stats don't back it up... He's made 1 mistake leading to a goal this year 

Why would I love the idea of someone making mistakes for the team I support. That's ridiculous. I see what I see. When we played Chelsea at their place Mings was culpable for two of their goals.  The back pass and where he over committed and was easily passed by Azpilicueta. That's two in one game and I could give you other examples, but why labour the point. The fact is, he makes costly mistakes .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The one where he overly committed to a tackle on azpilicueta after Targett got caught out of position in midfield leaving them with a man over?? 

This is the problem with the mings "mistakes" he plays under a microscope and that the other 3 simply don't 

Not true. I castigated Cash too, because like Mings his mistakes are very costly. 

Look at the time when he didn't close down Greenwood. Another mistake that you shouldn't be making at this level. Phil Thompson has called him out and so has Roy Keane, have they got an agenda with Mings ? I don't think so. It's not criticism for the sake of it, trust me. But, enough is enough. 

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Last season was recorded as 1 mistake I think 

What fans define as a mistake and what the PL stats do would be interesting 

The Lukaku goal for example for me would go down as a konsa mistake leading to a goal, mings role in it would be classed as shit defending but not a mistake 

Interesting , would be nice to know what Ming's thoughts on it are. 

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Interesting , would be nice to know what Ming's thoughts on it are. 

The fans on his back judging him? Closest you'll get is what he said about England and how it impacted his mental health 

How he defended Lukaku? He seems the kind of bloke who in the dressing room would own it rather than chuck everyone else under the bus but I doubt we'll ever know 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not though

Villa fans somehow love the idea that he's making a mistake every week and losing us points 

The official stats don't back it up... He's made 1 mistake leading to a goal this year 

Well if you're bringing stats into this...

Fbref stats record errors leading to shots. He currently has 2 errors this season, joint highest out of anyone so far this season.

5 errors the season before, second highest and more than any other outfield player.

The season before that, he had the most errors out of any player, 2 clear of second place(which was Hause btw).

There was some Twitter post that was shared in here pointing out how Mings has made more errors than anyone else in the past 2 seasons. This is probably what they were referring to.

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The fans on his back judging him? Closest you'll get is what he said about England and how it impacted his mental health 

I'm not judging him as man, he's surely a great bloke but as a player he has to accept criticism, everyone in every walk of life makes mistakes and has to accept the consequences, one of those being critism. Let's not hide behind PC excuses.

I can well believe that he ranks high out of defenders errors leading to shots. We know this is part of his game. I still like him. He’s still one of the first name on the team sheet for me and I think we’ll miss him on Sunday. His positive attributes far outweigh the negatives for me and I think since Gerrard has come in he has been one of the outstanding defenders in the league outside of Thiago Silva, VVD, etc who we would never get in a million years.

That said, I don’t see Hause and Tuanzebe as our future so I think the next couple of windows are a good opportunity to find a Mings successor, not for the immediate term but will be able to develop over a season or so like Konsa did.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There is more to a CB these days than being a great defender

Then it’s Konsa you have beef with, as a Tyrone is the one who all the managers and coaches since he’s been here have chosen to play everything through.

• Like 2

Wow you guys really were just waiting on Mings to have a bad game. He's been on a string of great performances since Steven's arrival. One poor game and the boo birds come out. 

I was always taught that the real mistakes that lead to a goal almost always happen off the ball. Casuals follow the ball around and that's the extent of what they take in each play. 

If you want to get analytical about that goal then look at the free man in the box who isn't fronting lukaku. That dude is a world class striker 6'3, strong as hell. No one is marking him 1v1. To nullify a player of his quality you go 2v1 everytime a ball is played in. On the goal Konsa is just floating, marking space. Well space can't score. Then you move onto Sanson who is playing way off the Chelsea player who put the cross in.Those are just the two I spot with the limited camera views on the YouTube highlight. If I had the coaches film, with all the angles, I could find a couple more issues that led to each goal Chelsea scored.

We took a risk not doubling up Lukaku. No surprise both goals he either scored or assisted on he was 1v1 versus our defense. Defending is always done as a unit. Rarely is their a singular point of failure. 

• Like 2

From the Steven Gerrard presser today

“Whoever’s picked to replace Tyrone, whether it be Kortney Hause or Axel Tuanzebe, they have to make sure that we don’t miss Tyrone.

“He’s a fantastic player, he’s led by example so far. I’ve been really impressed with him not just on the pitch but off it as well. I’m sure he’ll be missed in certain ways.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/31/the-presser--gerrard-quizzed-ahead-of-brentford/

• Like 2

Â