Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Jose picks Tyrone in his starting line up for this afternoon in "The Sunday Times": 

I am going with a back four of Kyle Walker, John Stones, Tyrone Mings and Ben Chilwell. I don’t think you need to go three at the back against Croatia. Maybe if you are playing Germany, who have gone with a back three after a bad time in qualifying, or against France and Kylian Mbappé, who can kill you from a certain position, so you need more cover. Southgate and his assistant, Steve Holland, who impressed me during my second spell at Chelsea, have created the option to do either a back three or four, but four is all you need for this game.

At right back, I love Reece James, but I choose Walker for his experience. It can be useful that he has a touch of the centre back about him too. If Harry Maguire is out, I choose Mings, because the team need a voice, and leadership. He is like a captain at Aston Villa, very vocal, aggressive in his communication. I think Stones needs that, without Maguire alongside him. Stones needs Rúben Dias at Manchester City, so he needs Maguire, he needs Mings. At left back, Luke Shaw has had a good season for United but for this game I prefer Chilwell. He is stable, makes few mistakes, and is good going forward. He comes from a back five at Chelsea but he’s intelligent and can adapt. He’s good in the air, which is important on defensive set pieces."

Having a very solid game, as we all know he's more than capable of. Amazing how many just assumed he would fail and not be able to step up.  He does make mistakes, but not every game, certainly not not significantly more than any of our other defenders, and not generally in games that mean a lot. Keep it up Mings

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Having a very solid game, as we all know he's more than capable of. Amazing how many just assumed he would fail and not be able to step up.  He does make mistakes, but not every game, certainly not not significantly more than any of our other defenders, and not generally in games that mean a lot. Keep it up Mings

Maguire and Stones have as many rickets... 

Well chuffed for Mings. Some of the comments in the media regarding him were frankly ridiculous in the build up to this. 

They obviously had there scapegoat lined up and ready for when something goes wrong, at least that should shut them up for at least a week. 

He had a good game, funny thing is it wasn't much different to his recent games that he's been cricized for. I think it shows that one or mistakes, even if they're not costly, in a game can completely change the perception of how well a player has played.

• Like 1

Â