Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Don’t tell that to all the pundits. Every player ratings article I’ve seen says the same thing: “Stone was the heart of the defense and commanded brilliantly.”

I checked this and you’re right. Stones getting better ratings and Mings being criticised for going long.

I think he went long about 3 or 4 times max, and one of them player Sterling through on goal.

They just phone it in these football journos. Utterly clueless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I checked this and you’re right. Stones getting better ratings and Mings being criticised for going long.

I think he went long about 3 or 4 times max, and one of them player Sterling through on goal.

They just phone it in these football journos. Utterly clueless.

Said earlier I think there were more than a few times when pickford and stones gave mings the ball when there was absolutely **** all on, no pass, what else is he meant to do? He launched it when they should have done in the first place 

And he can't win, if he didn't go long he'd be accused of messing about on the ball 

Sometimes if the defence is going long you need to look at what pass is on, how much pressure he's under and where the midfield is and then you'll have your answer rather than just blaming the defender 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Mings gets the highest rating of all the defenders, only beaten by Phillips and Sterling in total.

Where do you guys get otherwise?

I just googled player ratings - have a look at Guardian and Evening Standard for example.

Guardian 7 - poor distribution was a problem kept going long, stones got an 8

Independent 7 - didn't embarrass himself at all, stones 7

Sun gave him 7 stones 6

NBC both 7s 

Evening standard - 7 went long often with mixed success, stones 8

Sport bible 7, stones 6

Express 8, stones 7

Mirror both 7s

Football London both 6s the cheery **** 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:
11 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Mings gets the highest rating of all the defenders, only beaten by Phillips and Sterling in total.

Where do you guys get otherwise?

I just googled player ratings - have a look at Guardian and Evening Standard for example.

As a foreigner i mostly use sky and bbc. But i take your Word!

• Like 1

Just now, MentalM said:

As a foreigner i mostly use sky and bbc. But i take your Word!

In fairness just dug a bit deeper, and Daily Mail and the Sun gave Mings better score than Stones.

Think maybe it’s just the hipster football type journos have a fetish for technical centre backs like Stones* because they think it makes them look cool.

* who isn’t even that technical 

Best defender today, he gets a bit of unfair criticism by fans and pundits imo. Yes he was poor against Romania but I thought he was the best defender against Austria as well. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Ah, I see the problem here… 😉

Mings was excellent, only bettered by Phillips in MOTM stakes. Hopefully he’ll have Shaw or Chilwell to his left against Scotland. 

A couple of reasons why he went long on occasion. First was the obvious one Trippier. He played Trippier in a few times but Trippier just gave the ball back to him and stood still. 

The second was the midfielders. When stones had the ball Rice and Walker actually made good angles for him and created space for him to pass the ball on that side.

When Mings had the ball the onus is now on Phillips to create the angle for the pass but he stood still numerous times. 

Might be an idea to play Mount and Foden as the 8's because Mount has a very good engine. Then Jack can play lwf and whoever else on the right.this will give us more options going forward as Mount and Foden are good at creating space to receive the ball.

49 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

In fairness just dug a bit deeper, and Daily Mail and the Sun gave Mings better score than Stones.

Think maybe it’s just the hipster football type journos have a fetish for technical centre backs like Stones* because they think it makes them look cool.

Stones being some technical centre back is also a joke. He is decent on the ball but for an English player he looks like some elite centre back, James Collins was good on the ball too if that the case 🙄

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Best defender in the pitch today, it’s weird though, all game he was clearly instructing the defence and telling them what to do. Yet in his post match interview he said Trippier was telling him what to do.

He was, Trippier was telling Mings to shout instructions to the team because he didn’t know how to do it himself ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He was, Trippier was telling Mings to shout instructions to the team because he didn’t know how to do it himself ;)

Politics. Southgate has his favourites and Ty is playing the game by publicly name checking him as a ‘leader’. Ludicrous, but there it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I expect they talk about The Pivot a lot. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Â