Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

sounds like Hutton at times

There's a difference I feel though, imo Luke Shaw is lazy whereas I always thought Hutton just wasn't real football smart, he'd just be out of position at the wrong time.

Seems the media, including this week’s podcasts have all decided that Mings isn’t good enough. I’ve even heard someone say that White should start over him as he’s a better communicator. By all accounts from what I know, White’s quite a quiet character, whereas Mings.... 

Tyrone might not be a world class CB but he provides real leadership. On his day he’s solid and barring a couple of mistakes recently he’s rarely put a foot wrong for England. If we want a balanced team then playing a left footed CB makes sense. Playing a LB that only gets excited by attacking there, isn’t the answer. 

I won’t be surprised to see Mings get no game time at all this tournament, but I will be disappointed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Stupid idea if true. Typical of Southgate era England to play players out of position despite insisting he never would. 

as for reverting to a back 3, nice to see we've practiced that in warm up games... Oh wait. 

we're going to waste this tournament opportunity by having a moron in charge. 

History repeating itself isn't it?

The wally in the waistcoat is taking unfit players to a tournament in the hope they will get fit during it and has selected out of form players, when doing so has not worked previously. He will revert to his usual defensive mode and will play players he "trusts" instead of starting Jack, who can win games, but like many past players are seen as mavericks by "yes men" England managers. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I sort of hope Mings doesnt play in the Euros, some parts of the media are already preparing to scapegoat him

Absolutely. Even seeing pundits suggesting starting Coady or White at left CB in a 4 over him. **** ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/england/euro-2020/news/tyrone-mings-we-must-be-streetwise-at-euro-2020_450950.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tyrone-mings-issues-euro-2020-24291611.amp

Good stuff.

Tyrone Mings has claimed England need to be more “streetwise” - but warned they cannot let the “dark arts” get out of hand.

Mings admitted he would have been sent off had VAR been in use when TV pictures showed he gave Austria’s Sasa Kalajdzic a forearm smash during their warm-up friendly.

But Mings does believe that England will have to be cute when playing other big nations during the Euros and get better at wind ups and time wasting.

Aston Villa defender Mings said: “Being streetwise is a huge part of the game. You look at other nations and they are masters at the dark arts – staying on the floor for longer than needed, delaying restarts.

Being streetwise is also sometimes what gets you over the edge because it winds up the opposition and breaks up their flow and their rhythm.

“Listen, everything is going to have to come together for us to win the tournament. There are other things that will be important as well.”

Mings was honest enough to admit on Kalajdzic that he could have been sent off had it been during a tournament because he would have been caught by VAR

But Mings says his forearm smash was “too aggressive” but just a tactic he often uses to block off forwards during games but says football has gone soft.

England defender Mings said: “I was not lucky, no, because I knew there wasn't VAR.

“But it wasn't, wasn't it, so we can go back through many different occasions in my career and you could say if there was VAR in that game, I would have got sent off

“I think there is definitely something to be said about... football is very soft these days, you cannot get away with much. And like you say, if there had have been VAR, absolutely I would have given away a penalty.

“As a defender, I have done that many times in my career. When a cross is about to come in, block the striker. That is not against the rules. But that one there was probably too aggressive.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we need to take our claret and blue tinted specs here.

we all love and value Tyrone because of what he has done for us and what he has brought in terms of leadership.

Equally, we all know he can drop a bollock and that he can rise to the opposition targeting him (see Zaha).

England’s opposition will be targeting him if he plays and we’ve just got to hope that Tyrone steps up and delivers the kind of performance that we know he can.

• Like 1

Come on now. Leader. Vocal indeed.

...but he does make more mistakes than anyone in the squad. He will get punished.

A bad pass. A stamp. A raking of the studs. A lapse of concentration.

It happens too much. This is the highest level.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

...but he does make more mistakes than anyone in the squad. He will get punished.

Aren't we planning on starting with John Stones? I think you're being a bit disingenuous in that list of things as if they're all equal and equally common. 'A bad pass, a stamp, a taking of the studs.' Really? He's done about one dirty thing for us, and it was likely accidental and, anyway, something nobody could say for certain he did intentionally. That's in three years. The rest of the time he's had moments with some errors, and who doesn't make errors, but mainly I'd say he's been pretty great and often imperious, and, for me, he has my respect. He seems like a nice, intelligent guy too. 

He's not world class, but England don't have any options that are, but he's a very good-top Premier League defender, a little shy of the level of the very best for now. But he's not alone in that category in the England squad.

You really don't think Mings is one of our leaders on the pitch? This is the bit that confused me the most. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

John Stones has made mistakes in 2 of the last 3 games vs Villa and makes more mistakes than Mings. Same with Alexander Arnold

Jaysus and who can forget Pickford 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I think we need to take our claret and blue tinted specs here.

we all love and value Tyrone because of what he has done for us and what he has brought in terms of leadership.

Equally, we all know he can drop a bollock and that he can rise to the opposition targeting him (see Zaha).

England’s opposition will be targeting him if he plays and we’ve just got to hope that Tyrone steps up and delivers the kind of performance that we know he can.

He's been sent off twice with us I believe.

The first for a questionable hand ball decision where he his arm was against his chest. The 2nd for the shove to Zaha. Which only came after him being fouled. If it had been a straight red they probably would have looked it at it and disallowed the decision.

Not sure how that isn't comparable to John 'bad decision' stones. Who got a straight red vs us. And has directly given a number of goals to teams. League Cup finals comes to mind. Or him for England recently.

Maguire also has a number of comical mistakes in him such as when he put Shaw in a head lock to allow spurs to score.

And frankly every other England defender is a class below these lot. Apart from maybe Konsa but he has been called up so it is a moot point anyway. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 3

The funniest thing about the Mings hate is that everyone is saying that Stones is a shoo-in and this solid no-nonsense defender and it's silly to even consider Mings ahead of him. It completely rehabilitated Stones' reputation. From Calamity Stones, to Ol' Reliable because there's a new scapegoat in town.

• Like 3

As much as I love Ty he’s more error prone than any of the other centre backs and his distribution let’s him down at times.

However to counter that he’s excellent in the air, a leader of men and he’s left footed. 

he’s earned his place in the squad on merit. Let’s hope he starts and puts in a performance he can be proud of. 

• Like 1

Â