Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Did people miss the backpass he sent to Martinez that almost put Ings through or are we blaming that on Martinez? If Martinez hadn't gotten there, it would've been business as usual in this thread.

That is a semi-serious question. My first intuition is that it was Mings's bad but I didn't really see the scenario enough.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Did people miss the backpass he sent to Martinez that almost put Ings through or are we blaming that on Martinez? If Martinez hadn't gotten there, it would've been business as usual in this thread.

That is a semi-serious question. My first intuition is that it was Mings's bad but I didn't really see the scenario enough.

that was a bit of a hospital ball, but Martinez was a bit slow getting to the ball, i think it was a 50/50, poor-ish backpass but Martinez took his time a bit (almost looked like he thought he had more time than he did).

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

pass was fine, martinez was far too casual coming for it

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Do you just go around all of the players threads criticising them after a win?

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Do you just go around all of the players threads criticising them after a win?

No, nowadays usually only the ones who I think usually get more praise than they deserve since I find people often get carried away whenever they have a good game. Which is usually Mings and Luiz in my book. Should I not criticize players for what I think are their mistakes just because we won?

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No, nowadays usually only the ones who I think usually get more praise than they deserve since I find people often get carried away whenever they have a good game. Which is usually Mings and Luiz in my book. Should I not criticize players for what I think are their mistakes just because we won?

It's all well and good criticising mistakes, but sometimes the good a player does is overlooked in the process.

Mings played a slightly dodgy back pass tonight (it was possibly Martinez' casualness that made it look worse than it was)

Mings made multiple blocks in the area, and mopped up a Targett error that could have lead to a goal

I just don't understand why people choose to concentrate on the back pass and forget the rest of his game.

10 clean sheets this season from this Villa side. Mings must be doing something right.

• Like 1

Like probably 99% of defenders he's at his best when defending. We were under pressure for most of the game today and he was immense.

The backpass was 50-50 between him and Martinez I thought. It wasn't the best but Martinez should have been out quicker.

EDIT: Oh and even though we were backs to the wall for most of the game. He still snuck in a Cruyff turn on Ings in the first half. :D

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

Just now, wilko154 said:

It's all well and good criticising mistakes, but sometimes the good a player does is overlooked in the process.

Mings played a slightly dodgy back pass tonight (it was possibly Martinez' casualness that made it look worse than it was)

Mings made multiple blocks in the area, and mopped up a Targett error that could have lead to a goal

I just don't understand why people choose to concentrate on the back pass and forget the rest of his game.

10 clean sheets this season from this Villa side. Mings must be doing something right.

Because everyone else in the thread had already been praising him for having a superb game. What was the point of me joining in that?  I just felt like it'd be better to criticize him and give an opposite viewpoint then to the one prevailing. You could say that it's being contrarian for the sake of it, but its my own honest assessment of his performance.

For the record, I thought he had a good game but I just didn't feel like saying that when everyone else was already saying that and more. If people here had come in and focused on only that backpass I would've come in here and praised the fact that otherwise he had a good game. However, since I usually find the praise of Mings to be a bit overkill and his mistakes often excused away its usually the other scenario that happens more often.

51 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

pass was fine, martinez was far too casual coming for it

It wasn't "fine", he got barely got enough on it, would usually do it better.

Martinez made me poo my pants but I think he was comfortable...it just didn't look it.

Mings was absolutely fantastic tonight. A rock. A leader. Huge.

Edited by Tomaszk

Â