Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what happens 

Fans hound him for a couple of months, scape goat him, then question his happiness here 

God only knows what kind of shit he gets messaged from our finest, especially after he stood up for El ghazi too

It's why I detest social media. It's just a platform for the morons.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what happens 

Fans hound him for a couple of months, scape goat him, then question his happiness here 

God only knows what kind of shit he gets messaged from our finest, especially after he stood up for El ghazi too

I don't footballers should be anywhere near social media.

.....and he has to have a thicker skin than that.

I recall the grief that Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham got in the mid 70s...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what happens 

If you think this is bad it's nothing to what the likes of Man Utd players have to deal with.

I am often critical of Mings, but I do genuinely think the games we lose that he gets some blame always seem to be when either Matty Cash is over run or their is zero defensive cover from midfield.

He steps up and takes the lead in defence and by taking that responsibility continuously it means he has to take more risks.

Playing Traore centrally instead of Barkley (where he started) and Trez on the right just feels a no brainer right now. Cash gets more support and an unfit and out of form Barkley gets benched.

Edited by VillanousOne

6 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

By that logic you must think he's maldini in disguise on most occasions.

I think he's a very good centreback on most occasions.

Recently he hasn't been a very good centreback.

I don't really understand why people are getting so upset about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If you think this is bad it's nothing to what the likes of Man Utd players have to deal with.

What's that got to do with anything?

Is this how you justify your constant attacks on everyone at Aston Villa? Because other people will get it worse anyway?

Unbelievable. Literally.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What's that got to do with anything?

Is this how you justify your constant attacks on everyone at Aston Villa? Because other people will get it worse anyway?

Unbelievable. Literally.

What happened to "best to block and ignore"...

Has he got a lot of abuse online lately that's triggered this or is it just someone assuming he's got an issue with the club?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What happened to "best to block and ignore"...

Has he got a lot of abuse online lately that's triggered this or is it just someone assuming he's got an issue with the club?

I'm sorry :lol: can't deal with the BS in every thread.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he's a very good centreback on most occasions.

Recently he hasn't been a very good centreback.

I don't really understand why people are getting so upset about it.

I think it just annoys me that Mings has to be absolutely world class to escape criticism, where others who have been poorer can magically escape blame. Mings was superb against city and played extremely well last night and against newcastle. 

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

I think it just annoys me that Mings has to be absolutely world class to escape criticism, where others who have been poorer can magically escape blame. Mings was superb against city and played extremely well last night and against newcastle. 

Spot on. His positives so often get overlooked the same way certain players negatives do. It's so weird how some players naturally become scapegoats.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I couldn't disagree more. Zonal marking being shit is the biggest myth in football.

Every top team team uses it and for the most part it works really well. But like any system it will never be perfect. It’s hilarious that whenever a goal is conceded the whole system needs to change. It’s become a cliche.

Maybe we should got back to the old fashioned man to man marking. It’s working wonders for Leeds.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Every top team team uses it and for the most part it works really well. But like any system it will never be perfect. It’s hilarious that whenever a goal is conceded the whole system needs to change. It’s become a cliche.

Maybe we should got back to the old fashioned man to man marking. It’s working wonders for Leeds.

both have their drawbacks.....but what would help is avoiding mismatches at corners and free kicks.

To be fair even Doris the tea lady knows they pile in to the back post like a stag party going in to a night club.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Harry Maguire is easily making 5x what Mings is bringing. That probably helps soothe any abuse, by a lot. 

some interesting stats in this article

https://underagaslitlamp.com/2021/01/28/changing-the-agenda-tyrone-mings-is-as-vital-as-he-ever-has-been/

....As it stands, Tyrone Mings is just as important as Ezri Konsa – who seemingly cannot put a foot wrong this season. Yes, Konsa took a number of games to be dribbled past in this campaign, but Tyrone Mings was only a single number behind his partner in that regard.

Mings has managed 90 more minutes than Konsa this season through Ezri’s illness back in December – but across that it’s clear to see that they are an effective partnership that work well together.

Konsa is adept on the ground, offering up a Ground Duel Success of 82.7% per 90 minutes. Tyrone on the other hand, is stronger in the air making almost 70% of his aerial duels a successful one.

Villa’s ‘leader without an armband’ is a vital part of how Aston Villa play and a key part of us playing out from the back. The centre-back has made 990 touches so far this season, over 250 more than Ezri Konsa. He has also attempted nearly 300 more passes this season. Mings seemingly loses the ball so often because he’s on the ball more often, it’s as simple as that. The more you’re on the ball, the more chance you have of losing it. To counter that though, Mings has also made 36 more ball recoveries – meaning his positioning is great, or the opposition are focusing most of their play down the awkward left side of the pitch.

Alongside those data, gathered by Opta, Mings has also made more clearances, more interceptions and more blocks than Ezri Konsa this season, including a last-man tackle.

This isn’t a “who’s better than who” article. This is a warning article. Players make mistakes, players form will not improve when they are being targeted on social media – with people tagging their accounts into tweets lambasting them. When will fans learn that the side and the fans win together, and lose together? What benefit does open criticism have towards a player and their mentality?...

More on link above

Edited by blandy
extract added
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He doesn't have to be absolutely world class to escape criticism.

THat might annoy you, but it annoys me that people can't criticise certain players' performances without being accused of bias or scapegoating.

Mings has not been superb against City, Newcastle or Burnley in my opinion. He's been ok but below his usual standards. That's all. I don't think that's such a horrendous thing to say

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Some food for thought for sure.

He's not perfect, that's for sure but he has been one of the best centre halves in the PL this year.

Edited by sparrow1988

Â