Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well I disagree with Mings being the Nyland in that analogy. I don't think he is playing badly. I think he's been decent. 

It wasn't an analogy based on ability. It was an analogy based on a player in good form vs a player in bad form.

I also don't think he's playing BADLY. But I don't think he's playing particularly well. And I don't think it makes him a scapegoat for it to be pointed out. He's our weakest defender at the moment, that's all.

• Like 1

I've been critical of Mings but he didn't do anything especially wrong last night, other than being part of a defence including Martinez who all had an off night. The main problem, and it's been a recurring one, is that Traore provides no support on the right hand side, so that Cash ends up being overloaded time and time again. It's OK when we're in the ascendancy as in the first half, but Smith needs to get a bit cuter in his game management and timing of subs.  I agree with Stevo that Mings isour weakest defender, but all that really shows is how much we've improved on last season. Mings needs to look at Targett, and realise that doing the basics right is just as important as trying to be a bit more expansive.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't an analogy based on ability. It was an analogy based on a player in good form vs a player in bad form.

I also don't think he's playing BADLY. But I don't think he's playing particularly well. And I don't think it makes him a scapegoat for it to be pointed out. He's our weakest defender at the moment, that's all.

I know, I didn't say ability. I disagree with the analogy because Mings is not out of form like Nyland was. Nyland was terrible and we tried to replace him in multiple transfer windows, I can see why when he makes a mistake compared to a Heaton or Martinez, fans have no time for it.

There is no way, in my opinion, that Mings is playing so badly, conceding a corner is worthy of blame and criticism for a goal. I think a certain group have just made their minds up about him. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I know, I didn't say ability. I disagree with the analogy because Mings is not out of form like Nyland was. Nyland was terrible and we tried to replace him in multiple transfer windows, I can see why when he makes a mistake compared to a Heaton or Martinez, fans have no time for it.

There is no way, in my opinion, that Mings is playing so badly, conceding a corner is worthy of blame and criticism for a goal. I think a certain group have just made their minds up about him. 

Well we'll agree to disagree. I don't think he's playing "so badly", but I would say he's in poor form

• Like 1

It's never a good thing when you have a player who split fans opinions to the extent that he does.

Buying a centre back in the summer would be good for both parties. It will take a lot of pressure off Mings and he is in badly need of some real competition.

Him being forced out of the side because we buy a quality centre back could potentially make him less casual and cut out his mistakes.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well we'll agree to disagree. I don't think he's playing "so badly", but I would say he's in poor form

Im not even sure if he is in poor form. I think its just Tyrone.

One of those you have to take the good with the bad type players.

I sometimes criticise him, but its still hard for me to picture us without Mings in the team.

Unfortunately, when we lose, he is always going to come under more scrutinity, sometimes unfairly so, even from myself.

If we win, his errors are probably just passing comments.

What is more frustrating is that he has all the attributes to be the perfect CB.

He will certainly get more time than most, however, as we improve, the fine margins between average and success will become even finer, and he could find himself a victim of ambition if he doesn't fine tune. IMO

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I've been critical of Mings but he didn't do anything especially wrong last night, other than being part of a defence including Martinez who all had an off night. The main problem, and it's been a recurring one, is that Traore provides no support on the right hand side, so that Cash ends up being overloaded time and time again. It's OK when we're in the ascendancy as in the first half, but Smith needs to get a bit cuter in his game management and timing of subs.  I agree with Stevo that Mings isour weakest defender, but all that really shows is how much we've improved on last season. Mings needs to look at Targett, and realise that doing the basics right is just as important as trying to be a bit more expansive.

I agree with Traore not tracking back, but why can't one of the two CDM's come out wide and let the other one sit.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has won the 2nd most aeriel duels from our players this season, only 2 Burnley players have won more than him all season 

I don't think winning duels is the problem.   Its more the 2nd phase, what he does with the ball once he's won it.  Seems to enjoy playing long balls a lot which can be easy to defend against when you know there's a 90% chance that's what he'll do. 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has won the 2nd most aeriel duels from our players this season, only 2 Burnley players have won more than him all season 

Which is their game plan. The defenders needed protecting from midfield and didn't get it.

Â