Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don't think we're vulnerable as such in the air as a whole. It's the types of headers Martial and Giroud have scored in the last few games that seem to be the problem or a weak spot at the moment. Those in between balls that are cut back waist high our CB's don't seem to know how to deal with them.

yeah, I get that.....something to work on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't watch other teams with so much interest of not conceding.......some of these headers are avoidable and are soft in execution, our overall record of defending this year, stats wise, is great.....but improvement is something we should all be interested in.

It doesn't annoy me at all, not as much as it might annoy you, for me bringing it up......I just happen to think its something we can improve upon to save negating all the hard work we put in elsewhere on the pitch.

We absolutely should always strive for improvement, I just don't think the 4(?) headed goals we have conceded all year is a worrying pattern. 

Don't get defensive, I'm not at all annoyed by you posting it. It wasn't a criticism suggesting you notice it more because it annoys you; the things that piss me off certainly tend to stick in my mind more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

We absolutely should always strive for improvement, I just don't think the 4(?) headed goals we have conceded all year is a worrying pattern. 

Don't get defensive, I'm not at all annoyed by you posting it. It wasn't a criticism suggesting you notice it more because it annoys you; the things that piss me off certainly tend to stick in my mind more.

They might not seem many, but they come at important times and have a habit of impacting on important results.....if they were unstoppable shots fine, but these are bread butter things to good defenders.

perhaps its me....I thought they were avoidable.

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I see that Zaha was at it again earlier against Sheffield United. 

Literally a nothing challenge on him, gets up and slaps the defender in the face. 

Guy has got huge anger management issues, an ego the size of Canada and goes into every game trying to get someone sent off. He's a piece of trash. 

just watched that incident.

Ye, he's got a real chip on his shoulder, what a tool, imo he should have been sent off for the push in the face. (against Boogle)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

They might not seem many, but they come at important times and have a habit of impacting on important results.....if they were unstoppable shots fine, but these are bread butter things to good defenders.

perhaps its me....I thought they were avoidable.

Yeah, they do generally seem to have come hand in hand with frustrating results. 

I agree they're avoidable. The reason I'm not too worried about it though is we conceded 2 headers from set pieces against West Ham & Southampton and I don't think any since, which suggests me we've worked on it. We've now conceded 2 similar headers in less than a week and I'm optimistic we'll work on that too. If we keep conceding similar goals throughout the season I'll be concerned.

I think we've only conceded 1 goal (and a red card) from having a very high line, but I still get a lot more worried when I see the striker flick on halfway than when we concede a set piece. That said, it did give us the opportunity to see Mings gas Dan James Yesterday!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

just watched that incident.

Ye, he's got a real chip on his shoulder, what a tool, imo he should have been sent off for the push in the face. (against Boogle)

never takes responsibility for his own actions, never blames it on the sunshine or moonlight always blames it on the Boogle

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Literally a nothing challenge on him, gets up and slaps the defender in the face. 

Guy has got huge anger management issues, an ego the size of Canada and goes into every game trying to get someone sent off. He's a piece of trash. 

I'd still prefer Mings had just let him go mad on the first yellow and not grabbed on to him. Zaha wont do him any damage and he's much more likely to get himself a red when that worked up. It also makes him look like a massive bully when he uses his size to haul people around after the whistle has blown, even on that word removed Bamford.

Yes, he will want to forget his last couple of matches but we are doing so well and have transformed ourselves defensively. Mings is a massive part of that and has been largely excellent this season yet people are falling over themselves to have a pop at him. Criticism on here tends to be reasonably calm and rational (match threads aside) albeit not always accurate but other social media platforms can be vile. 

What worries me is that he strikes me as a confidence player who will be well aware of the change in feeling for him. A Mings lacking confidence is not good for us. I don’t know why our own supporters can be so horrible to our players. How is it ever going to positively impact the confidence and spirit of the team which is so important in achieving success. We need to be with them not against them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mings should have gone down when Zaha first punched him in the stomach - then when Zaha fouls Mings the ref would be bound to refer it to Var and he'd have been off. No need to go after him at all.

He's not that kind of a player. His first instinct is not to go down when an opponent touches him.

It’s not like anyone said he’s the best defender in the world. If he were we wouldn’t have had him on loan in the Championship and then bought him from Bournemouth’s squad (not even starting for them). 
I think he’s a really good defender, and when people score goals against us, sometimes he will be at fault like all other players and teams. We’ve had a really good start to the season, but we’re always going to concede some goals, it’s part of football, no one is infallible.

edit: I also think he’s great for the team, and club and vocally for England and Villa on the national stage.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

People are always on his back for not being perfect, which is obviously unfair in any case. If he were perfect, we'd never concede a goal ever.

The thing is, defenders are probably under more scrutiny than any other player. A small mistake that would be met with eye rolls further up the pitch can have much bigger consequences of a defender does it.

He is yet to make a mistake that has directly led to a goal this season, so all this stuff about him being error prone is just nonsense frankly. He's not perfect, but if you're expecting him to be then you'll always be disappointed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I have now rewatched the game and we were lucky to not get another penalty against us when he put his elbow in Pogba's face.

This guy is a ticking timebomb

Good defenders make mistakes, and sometimes howlers. 

Here is a video of Vidic vs. Torres over his career in the PL. Widely regarded as one of the best CB's of the last 20 years and you know what? He gets repeatedly arseholed by the same player with multiple red cards, howlers leading to goals and general shit play. You would literally have a meltdown if anyone of these incidents was Tyrone. 

Still a bloody good defender, so is Mings. You are WAY too critical of everything, just chill. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I’d have him here though. 

Â