Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Mings on form is a better player, his form of late hasn’t been great in my opinion. I don’t think dropping Hause was the right decision, that’s not hindsight I said it before the game. I think Hause deserved to keep his place after the last two games.

Would that have been at the expense of mings though? 3 of the 4 games Hause played well were alongside Mings I think.

50 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He was maybe 1 yard too deep and did not have his feet separately set to defend the cross which was disappointing but can happen.

The worrying part for me was the elbow on Martial. If the ball was closer to reaching him that could've cost us a penalty.

Could? You mean would! It's man united after all, isn't it? 😜

Few mistakes yesterday, mixed in with some good defending and decent play. Not one of his better games, but Dean was in a no win situation. Hause would have been ripped to shreds by the pace of United so it was a sensible decision to start with Mings for me. 

Seems to me that he's in bad form, rather than a bad player

15 hours ago, TRO said:

But there is a pattern ,where we concede so many headed goals. I.e Chelsea

do we not like heading the ball?

Do we concede "so many" compared to other teams, or is that just your perception because it's something that annoys you?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I’d argue that the goal is more of a Konsa error than a Mings one. Martial has run off Konsa completely and left him free in the box. If Mings was stood further from the goal there’s no reason why the cross couldn’t have been played in behind him to Martial. For me Konsa is in control of that situation and just lets Martial drift off him.

Konsa had no-one near him or behind him... he probably expected Mings to reach the ball, and was caught ball-watching instead of getting close to Martial. I think they're both at fault, but it's not a big mistake from either. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If that's what you want to take from it, then crack on - I think he's unfairly maligned tbf. 

i'll stay and debate it in a balanced way cheers, feel free to crack on if you don't like it.

I think he's an awesome player or can be, but he makes errors, he's not the only one, but this is a thread in his name so people will focus on what 'Tyrone Mings' does. I'm not suggesting he be dropped either, just that he can't be immune from criticism.

Edited by VillanousOne

16 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

We allow teams to operate on the flanks. That's the cost of pushing our fullbacks so high up the pitch when we are on the attack. For me, you take the good with the bad. Our defensive strategy works more than not. No complaints there. 

Our problem is the inability to score our chances. We do that and at worst we draw, more than likely we win. 

you not wrong....but i said " do we not like heading the ball"( in either box)........we had umpteen aerial chances to score.....jack looked peed off with one of his crosses going to waste.

I know heading is a contentious subject, but if we don't deal with it better, we will be disadvantaged.

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Poor effort from both CBs on that goal but we have the third best defence in the Premier League. The pattern is we don’t concede many goals at all. 

I am higlighting errors within the bubble of defending well.

I didn't say our defending is poor ....I said we seem to be vulnerable in the air.

13 hours ago, Spoony said:

What does he actually bring?

Leadership in our team? Good defending, but prone to mistakes. Still believe he is a great defender, just seems distracted at times. How many clean sheets has he not contributed to? How many blocks and clearances has he not made? 

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am higlighting errors within the bubble of defending well.

I didn't say our defending is poor ....I said we seem to be vulnerable in the air.

I don't think we're vulnerable as such in the air as a whole. It's the types of headers Martial and Giroud have scored in the last few games that seem to be the problem or a weak spot at the moment. Those in between balls that are cut back waist high our CB's don't seem to know how to deal with them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don't think we're vulnerable as such in the air as a whole. It's the types of headers Martial and Giroud have scored in the last few games that seem to be the problem or a weak spot at the moment. Those in between balls that are cut back waist high our CB's don't seem to know how to deal with them.

2F19372700000578-0-image-a-29_1449367657

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Again this is a massively harsh observation. Both goals you're commenting on were the result of excellent crosses and, frankly, brilliant finishing. If there's any fault in both instances it's that the crosses weren't challenged or cut out.

• Like 2

Just now, jimmygreaves said:

Again this is a massively harsh observation. Both goals you're commenting on were the result of excellent crosses and, frankly, brilliant finishing. If there's any fault in both instances it's that the crosses weren't challenged or cut out.

Hence I said at the moment. Hardly harsh. Teams are putting these crosses in instead of the usual higher balls so our players have to adjust to the new tactic being used. Which they will.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Do we concede "so many" compared to other teams, or is that just your perception because it's something that annoys you?

I don't watch other teams with so much interest of not conceding.......some of these headers are avoidable and are soft in execution, our overall record of defending this year, stats wise, is great.....but improvement is something we should all be interested in.

It doesn't annoy me at all, not as much as it might annoy you, for me bringing it up......I just happen to think its something we can improve upon to save negating all the hard work we put in elsewhere on the pitch.

Â