Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Mings is a good defender but his strength is also his weakness.

His ‘rolls Royce’ classy way of doing things I feel is because he is such a confident guy, however being over confident leads to mistakes. When he is having a good stretch of games it’s because he has the balance right.

Listen to the podcast I mentioned. He’s actually not that confident. He talks to a psychologist prior every match. He knows he makes mistakes at times and is looking to work on them.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

He's just a reallykey part of the side. He's a great role model too, Chester aside it's been a long time since we've had a CB I've warmed to in the way I have to Mings. Which for a club like ours and the affinity we've had for McGrath, Mellberg, Laursen is a shame really. 

I agree Konsa is in the better form, he's probably the better player or at least will be if not already. But Mings is key to what we're trying to build here, off the pitch as much as on it. 

Think it's easy to forget at times just how crucial he was to reinvigorating the side during his loan spell. We *had* to sign either him or Tammy. Almost regardless of fee. It had to happen. 

Good post

Just feels some times we have to find the scape goat and because he comes across as confident, likes to try and play and has had his opinion on a few things then it seems to be Tyronne that's been chosen.....He makes mistakes - So does Jack, Luiz, Watkins etc etc 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jacks Disciple said:

Cannot recommend this episode highly enough. I actually created an account on here after many years of reading to draw attention to it but Mikey beat me to it whilst I was waiting to be approved!

As villa fans I think we should be incredibly proud to have such a well-rounded individual as Tyrone Mings at our club. Despite people often criticising him as being ‘over-confident’ and ‘full of himself’ he actually comes across as well-grounded and very intelligent.

I have criticised him myself in the past for his tendency to make mistakes (though his is nowhere near as frequently as some make out) and worried that he was not learning from this. However in this podcast he discusses that, despite playing at an incredibly high level, he is not yet happy with the consistency of his performances. Having someone of his character in the dressing room can only help the performance of the team for years to come. 

Welcome Tyrone 😉

In all seriousness tho, I will give it a listen. I do enjoy listening to Mings speaking. 

On 16/01/2021 at 12:55, mikeyp102 said:

Posted on Instagram last day of isolation , so he could have been one of the infected.

they were all isolating, infected or not as they had come into contact with players who were positive

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Will not be surprised at all to see Southgate take the easy option and drop him from the England squad for Stones.

I don't think he could be too aggrieved getting dropped for Stones who is playing very well with Dias. That said, on current form it would be bullshit if any CB gets dropped ahead of Connor Coady.

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't think he could be too aggrieved getting dropped for Stones who is playing very well with Dias. That said, on current form it would be bullshit if any CB gets dropped ahead of Connor Coady.

Coady has worked his way into Southgate's pet club along with Pickford, Dier & Trippier.

• Thanks 1

On 12/01/2021 at 09:05, cb_82 said:

Good post

Just feels some times we have to find the scape goat and because he comes across as confident, likes to try and play and has had his opinion on a few things then it seems to be Tyronne that's been chosen.....He makes mistakes - So does Jack, Luiz, Watkins etc etc 

Well, it's amazing how John Stones has come back from his form drop, he too was making lots of mistakes and has resurrected his status of late.

Tyrone just needs to work on things, but his presence is crucial....not forgetting Hause, who has also improved, breathing down his neck.

They all make mistakes, driving them down to a minimum, is key and what leads to consistency.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Coady has worked his way into Southgate's pet club along with Pickford, Dier & Trippier.

As he used to be a midfielder Southgate probably has an exciting Plan B to move to 4 at the back and play Coady alongside Rice and Phillips in midfield.

On 12/01/2021 at 08:41, mikeyp102 said:

Listen to the podcast I mentioned. He’s actually not that confident. He talks to a psychologist prior every match. He knows he makes mistakes at times and is looking to work on them.

I think we would all be surprised at the insecurity, many players have.

When I was ( in the circle) of friends with Andy Gray in the 70's, I come across it first hand, it amazed me....One incident alone, shocked me, from a really top player.( and i think I shook him out of his doubt, for an up and coming game)

Thats why, I never boo or vent disdain while players are in the game, they need every bit of support they can get, we as supporters get carried away at times, with how much confidence, we think they have.....remember Tommy Johnson, being sick on the pitch, with anxiety.

Its more prevalent than we imagine.....They are not Robots, they need reassurance more than we think.

Thats why they call us "Supporters" thats Our job......and its when they are struggling they need us most, which sometimes turns out to be a paradox.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Oh yeah, how could I forget Mount 😂

Thats a tad unfair.....Mount is a really good player and for this side of 22, he has a really bright future....I know we all favour Jack, but Mount deserves his praise for his age.

I also think Dier has done really well being transferred to Centre Back.

Pickford is very lucky to be first choice IMO.

• Like 2

Comes round again without even an England game! 

The problem isnt Mount, he's a good player who justifies his inclusion, the problem is with the defensive numbers 

Drop a defender for an extra midfielder and then mount looks sound in the line up

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The problem isn't Mount, he's a good player who justifies his inclusion, the problem is with the defensive numbers 

Drop a defender for an extra midfielder and then mount looks sound in the line up

Or don't play two defensive midfielders e.g. Henderson and Rice, just play one.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Comes round again without even an England game! 

The problem isnt Mount, he's a good player who justifies his inclusion, the problem is with the defensive numbers 

Being drawn against a bunch of butchers, bakers and candle stick makers in the upcoming qualifiers, Southgate might have the balls to use just the 5 defensive players rather than his favored 7. 

Â