Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Muh Leadership. Which conveniently is something so intangible that its impossible to deny nor quantify exactly how useful his "leadership skills" really is.

There has to be a CB within our price range who brings the same amount of “leadership” (stamping? Getting sent off? Being arrogant and lazy?) and who is better than Mings. 

39 minutes ago, Thug said:

We just went toe to toe with a Man Utd team that have spent £1 billion in the last few years, 2 years after languishing 14th in the championship

We don’t need a scapegoat.

We need a reality check, people.

We also did the same against Chelsea. We’re sitting 6h with a very healthy goal difference and games in hand against a lot of teams around us. If anyone had predicted this and some of the extraordinary results we’ve already had before a ball had been kicked this season, they would have been quietly lead away to a dark room for a lie down. We’re doing great and heading in the right direction while at the same time playing lovely football. We also have a team behind the team on and off the pitch that should fill us with optimism. Enjoy it while we can, don’t try to pick holes in every imperfection. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's still one of our best two centrebacks. But he's very much 2nd now imo.

Generally ok tonight but I thought he was poor for their first goal. 

That's Mings in a nutshell though. Generally OK, until the mistake that leads to a goalscoring opportunity. Smith is in idiot for dropping Hause for him. 

Really don't see what all the fuss is about with the so called "Mings mistake" . We have an excellent defensive record this season. A bigger concern is not converting more chances into goals. That's where my focus would be at the moment. I'm not saying players shouldn't be criticised but to get hung up on one thing is silly. I would say it's better cross/goal than it was bad defending. Bottom line is I see more positives with Mings than negatives. I'm glad Hause has stepped up to challenge for a place though.

We need to replace Engles with a strong backup option that can challenge both Konsa and Mings.

Everyone can bang on about how well Hause played - and he did - but his on the ball work is so poor it would have put us under a lot more pressure. Mings is much better at it. He isn't immune to a mistake with it and he often worries me but generally he holds on and slows down play well, and distributes it pretty well too. 

Hause has played well but he would've been the wrong decision to play yesterday, we'd have had even less of the ball and we'd have had more pressure invited into us. The only reason to play him would've been if Cavani wasn't banned so we had somebody who could go up against him in the air.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

He didn't make a mistake. He missed a header (That was coming back behind him) by less than an inch.

It wasn't a mistake that led to a goal scoring opportunity. I can't for the life of me see how people don't understand the difference.

Exactly, at the same time luiz has not laid a glove on pogba, Anwar and Mings fail to react to the run of the full back. Our left back is nowhere to be seen and konsa loses Martial but let's have a go at Mings because it suits the narrative. 

In reality it was a poor team goal to concede but against a very good counter attacking side. Mings make mistakes, of course he does but no more or less than anyone else. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Exactly, at the same time luiz has not laid a glove on pogba, Anwar and Mings fail to react to the run of the full back. Our left back is nowhere to be seen and konsa loses Martial but let's have a go at Mings because it suits the narrative. 

In reality it was a poor team goal to concede but against a very good counter attacking side. Mings make mistakes, of course he does but no more or less than anyone else. 

He makes way more than anybody else.  Go through the goals conceded for this season and last.  He's responsible for more than anybody else becaue of his sloppy brain farts.  Bamford tore him a new one.  He gives away far too many goal scoring opportunities through mistakes.

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Mings brings something to our attacking play which I don't think is always appreciated on here.

Agreed, yesterday when he stepped in at LB and pushed us forwards and even made a run to the edge of the box, it's the kind of thing we haven't had in ages. Dougie does the same, it's not what you expect from aCB or DM and it gives us options and makes us dangerous

36 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Mings brings something to our attacking play which I don't think is always appreciated on here.

It's a difficult balancing act, I know we want to play out from the back and he has the ability to do it but I prefer it when he keeps it simple.  Most of his mistakes come from when he lets the ball bounce so he can try and get a pass in but he gets in a tangle or beaten to it by the forward.  After lockdown he made the change to play safety first in those situations and we were a better side for it.  This season it's been a bit of a mix of the two, Zaha caught him out a couple of times and it cost him a red card rather than a goal this time but other than that, since the Leeds and Southampton games I think he has been good.  Yesterday's was a slight error between him and Konsa and decent forward play from Utd, just like the average goal really, there's usually a mix of the two when goals are scored.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree. Hause does a job but Mings is a far better player imo 

Mings on form is a better player, his form of late hasn’t been great in my opinion. I don’t think dropping Hause was the right decision, that’s not hindsight I said it before the game. I think Hause deserved to keep his place after the last two games.

• Like 1

Tyrone has been one of our best players for the last two years before this season and probably by some distance. 

In the last season though we’ve made some high quality acquisitions and ALL other first team players appear to have improved.

If anything Tyrone’s development appears to have stalled. That could be for a number of reasons but only he knows what’s preventing him from really pushing on. 

He probably only has until the summer because no doubt if he doesn’t prove himself as a top 4/6 calibre defender we should then go and buy one (look what Leicester did with Fofana) and he can fight Hause for the spot on the bench.

So only Spurs and Man City have conceded more than us in league, and 7 of our 16 came in 2 games - No issues from me.

He brings so much more than hause (yes Hause stepped in and was solid enough, but surely that’s what we want, our backups to provide adequate cover when needed).  Very few if any CB’s will never make a mistake, some mistakes go unpunished some lead to a goal - that’s football!  

For me we played well enough to take a share of the points, or even all 3 last night - at Man Utd, who are on good form with a wealth of talent - no need for scapegoat.

but yeah, ditch the gum - I hate that!!

Enjoyed catching up on the Villa View's post game show from last night, pertinent to this thread they covered the general overreaction to Mings as well as specifically the goal (from around 3 minutes in). Specific shout out to @omariqy for having the most level-headed and accurate views on the whole matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â