Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

He shouldn't have been on the sideline when Adams crosses and Cash handball's because he's 1 v 2?

Sbouldnt have left McGinn on their centre back for the first foal? 

He was pants. 

Madness to blame Mings for this. Our coaching staff have set us up with Mings minding a defensive zone at set pieces, along with Konsa, etc. This leaves some of our shorter players doing the man-marking. The coaches are to blame for organizational mistakes like McGinn being left to mark Vestergaard.

You could maybe attribute a chunk of the blame to McGinn for not insisting that we change it after the first set piece (where Adams scored the disallowed goal, with McGinn again marking Vestergaard).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was jokingly exaggerating with that. Ah well.😬

Although in saying that people have absolutely said one part of that, and he's also been labelled a donkey on top of it so in retrospect it's not even that far off. 

👀

Yes it was clear you were exaggerating. I just find it frustrating when people do that as aside from not being funny it intentionally misrepresents people’s views in order to try and make them seem unreasonable. It isn’t a joke, it’s making fun of people’s views.

42 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes it was clear you were exaggerating. I just find it frustrating when people do that as aside from not being funny it intentionally misrepresents people’s views in order to try and make them seem unreasonable. It isn’t a joke, it’s making fun of people’s views.

I'd agree if it weren't only directed at completely over the top and pretty scathing takes, never mind that it was more or less reflective of some of what was said anyway and not really misrepresentative. Replace "lumbering mess" for "donkey" and it would have been verbatim like.

You find it frustrating when people find it risible that stuff like that gets thrown at players unjustly, I find it frustrating that that happens in the first place. C'est la vie.

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I didn't watch the game but someone said he ducked at that Free Kick? Is this correct?

He didn’t jump. If he did the ball would have hit him in the face and knocking his chewing game out of his mouth. Apart from that  he had a relatively decent good game. 

6 hours ago, AV82 said:

General performance aside I cannot fathom why he wouldn’t jump for that second FK. Bizarre.

Because when a free kick doesn't hit your midsection it has an equal chance to deflect off you and go in as it does to actually block the shot and if it does block the shot 9/10 it goes out for a corner.

Now I'm not saying it was the right decision but in my opinion we shouldn't be having a go at him for this. He was damned if he did damned if he didn't. 

• Confused 1

One of the few players in our squad who can defend, so while I recognise his errors.....I find it difficult to criticise, 2 Players, with their finger in the dam, while the rest paddle in the water.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He didn’t jump. If he did the ball would have hit him in the face and knocking his chewing game out of his mouth. Apart from that  he had a relatively decent good game. 

He didnt jump because he was worried about the shot along the ground. 

He should have jumped.

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No. With all his faults, he's still a level above Konsa. 

I wasn't comparing him to Konsa though.

For me, I do love him, but he just seems to totally witch off sometimes, and get himself caught out.

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

He didnt jump because he was worried about the shot along the ground. 

He should have jumped.

I think that's right, but surely it's possible for the team to set up to defend both ways. You station one player behind the wall who drops to the ground as the kick is taken. Then everybody in the wall can jump safe in the knowledge they won't be mugged by the daisy cutter. I know this works coz I've seen it on youtube.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wasn't comparing him to Konsa though.

For me, I do love him, but he just seems to totally witch off sometimes, and get himself caught out.

I meant that Konsa is benched first.

• Like 1

More headlines from Mings. This time on Greg Clarke’s resignation. He is getting pelters (mostly by trolls) on Twitter for suggesting that if the next FA chairman was black/or a woman it would “be a huge step forward”. (Hardly a controversial thing to say, but we are where we are).

I think he’s an intelligent, level-headed guy - but he does need to be careful. Ultimately, he’s currently one of England’s most high-profile black players - and has been since the Bulgaria game (doesn’t help that most the current England team are devoid of charisma).

I think it’s great he’s trying to use his platform to drive positive change - I just hope he’s aware of how significant he is becoming in this particular media narrative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54896395

Appointing a black man or woman as the next Football Association chairman would be a huge step forward, says England defender Tyrone Mings.

Greg Clarke resigned on Tuesday after using "unacceptable" language when referring to black players.

"We're not necessarily asking for the next chairman or chief to be black," Aston Villa's Mings said.

"What we're asking for is equal opportunities for both black and white people, or ethnic minorities."

Clarke said his comments, made in front of a government select committee, were a "disservice to our game".

He was also criticised for comments he made referring to gay players making a "life choice" and a coach telling him young female players did not like having the ball hit hard at them.

Mings was involved in the creation of the FA's Football Leadership Diversity Code, which was launched in October.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

More headlines from Mings. This time on Greg Clarke’s resignation. He is getting pelters (mostly by trolls) on Twitter for suggesting that if the next FA chairman was black/or a woman it would “be a huge step forward”. (Hardly a controversial thing to say, but we are where we are).

I think he’s an intelligent, level-headed guy - but he does need to be careful. Ultimately, he’s currently one of England’s most high-profile black players - and has been since the Bulgaria game (doesn’t help that most the current England team are devoid of charisma).

I think it’s great he’s trying to use his platform to drive positive change - I just hope he’s aware of how significant he is becoming in this particular media narrative.

Why?  I read nothing in that article which is cause for alarm.

2 hours ago, Cizzler said:

I do understand your point, but I think what he said was very uncontroversial:

"We're not necessarily asking for the next chairman or chief to be black," Aston Villa's Mings said.

"What we're asking for is equal opportunities for both black and white people, or ethnic minorities."

He speaks well on this subject.

Yes it could be a bit of a distraction from football, and he will sadly attract attention from some of the more moronic people who float around football like unflushed turds. But there are plenty of worse distractions than talking eloquently about equal opportunities.

Personally I think part of the reason he has thrived at Villa is that Smith has let him be himself. TM has certainly hinted at that a view times.

• Like 1

What pisses me off is how what he has said has been spun to suggest he’s saying the next FA chairman SHOULD be black or in any way indicating some sort of “positive discrimination”. He didn’t say that whatsoever but it’s got the gammons frying exactly how the media want them to be.

Frankly Mings couldn’t have been more measured and sensible on the subject. A future in football governance or politics awaits I reckon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

What pisses me off is how what he has said has been spun to suggest he’s saying the next FA chairman SHOULD be black or in any way indicating some sort of “positive discrimination”. He didn’t say that whatsoever but it’s got the gammons frying exactly how the media want them to be.

Frankly Mings couldn’t have been more measured and sensible on the subject. A future in football governance or politics awaits I reckon. 

Reminds me of when they were fall over themselves to suggest that the sacking of Le Tissier and co was to make way for black/women pundits. Turned out more middle aged white blokes like Tony Pulis and Tim Sherwood were hired in the end. They just want to be the victim so bad.

• Like 3

Â