Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Couldn't care less about the stuff he does off the pitch.

Need him to perform on the pitch and cut out those mistakes.

But being in his late 20's odds are he won't do. He is at an age now where his value will decrease every year. Club needs to consider offloading him if they want to get decent profit out of him.

I'd be happy if he remained at Villa until he retires, as long as he doesn't mind riding the bench as a depth player. He's got useful tools in his toolbox and intangible leadership/ambassador qualities. He's good to have around and might even make a good coach at some point.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

I think part of the problem is that we yearn for a leading centre-half not in the McGrath mould as that would be nigh on impossible, but in the mould of great centre-halves that are imposing and lead a team. Sides with them tend to be hard to beat. Mings has it up to probably 85% of his game - and yes that's just a random number - so the outpouring of angst and anti-Mings stuff (maybe 'anti' is far too harsh) is the disappointment that we have probably our best centre half for quite some time but that he's just not quite top TOP quality and we want to drag him there, as he would drag us there if so. I am a fan of Mings and think he's been a hugely influential figure for us from the Championship days, and he has improved wholly from that half season - that is palpable. He has also won 12 England caps because of that improvement. I think just about every Villa fan secretly or not, had a moment of panic knowing the whole of Europe would be watching him against croatia and Scotland in the Euros, and he was actually rock solid. You may argue that he had little to do, but what he did was excellent. Its also easily forgotten that although we lost 2-0 away at Belgium Mings actually played well that night.

For what we have on our books there is no better centre-half pairing than Konsa-Mings. It was also a centre-half pairing that kept many clean sheets last season. We may lose some more over the next few weeks so the panic button will be being smashed by many. But calm will eventually prevail and our best and most experienced players will guide us through it all to calmer waters as we propel ourselves up the league. The leader of whom will be Mings.

22 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd be happy if he remained at Villa until he retires, as long as he doesn't mind riding the bench as a depth player. He's got useful tools in his toolbox and intangible leadership/ambassador qualities. He's good to have around and might even make a good coach at some point.

I see this happening as well. This season and next as first choice, hopefully a young prospect in to challenge next summer and over the next 2-3 years gradually take his slot as he gets into his 30s (which he’s only a couple of years off). If Mings then stays with us for years like Morgan at Leicester or Jagielka at Everton to keep the team culture and step in when needed, that’s ideal, including him staying as club captain. Then agree, if he wants to coach he has all the ingredients.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 07:57, Dave-R said:

Welll why would you wear you moon gear around miami that's just idiotic in that heat. He probably shouldn't be going to the moon if he's making poor choices of wearing his astronaut clobber all while everyone else has F*ck all on lol. 

I think why people say it, is they are clearly stating that soon its going to become apparent that we wont reach europe having a player who makes these cheap mistakes. It's already creeping into slots minds because these simple amateur mistakes at that level cost you games and points. We are going to need an upgrade on Mings and the more of these mistakes Mings makes it only makes his weakness more of an easy problem to solve next window if he keeps it up.

They can say that, but it's absolute bollocks isn't it? 

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Tyrone Mings is a fantastic defender, good enough to play centre half for his tier 1 country in a tournament. He makes the occasional mistake, enough that his has been highlighted as an obvious weakness. Something he absolutely should be, and probably is, working on every single day. But on balance, what he brings to the club far outweighs those errors. For where we are, and for where we want to be. 

If you don't believe me, David Luiz has 102 appearances in Europe with four different clubs under a multitude of managers. To go with 57 caps for Brazil, a Premier League title, two Ligue 1 titles, a Champions League medal and a couple of Europa League medals. He is also laughed at for his silly hair and his occasional lapses in concentration, but just like Tyrone, his other strengths far outweighed those moments to the point he was still wanted by Real Madrid this summer. At 34 years old. 

Well said. Couldn't give a flying bluenose about the odd mistake. Solid player solid guy and he's important for us. Sing his name. UTV. 

• Like 2

Â