Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

18 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

That guy. My god.

When asked on said podcast if its an issue that Tyrone doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes, (which is true), he responded by giving some weird, meandering answer about Paul Gascoigne not connecting with the cross against Germany which means it wasn't a chance. 

There's no way he's not high during these podcasts. 

Bit of a twerp isn't he.

• Sad 1

On 14/09/2021 at 05:24, ThunderPower_14 said:

We had an incredible defence last season despite an average midfield not providing a great amount of protection.

Mings makes mistakes, but literally every defender does. It's how most goals are scored. 

It's like the wider football community decided Mings was a clumsy mistake merchant when he clattered into that player for England in the Euros warmups, but that dissipated when he was rock solid there, and now Villa fans have bizarrely caught onto this idea and run with it.

He's a terrific defender and arguing that Konsa is better or worse is a pointless exercise when we play 2 of them anyway. Mings is absolutely part of our best CB pairing, and he's been a terrific defender for us.

The idea we had an incredible defence last year is a bit of a myth when we were like 15th in terms of shots faced...and Konsa was much better, what does that tell us.

26 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

The idea we had an incredible defence last year is a bit of a myth when we were like 15th in terms of shots faced...and Konsa was much better, what does that tell us.

Sorry, can you clarify - do you mean that we faced fewer or more shots with that figure?

Because surely if we're limiting shots, that means that the defence is doing really well. 

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Sorry, can you clarify - do you mean that we faced fewer or more shots with that figure?

Because surely if we're limiting shots, that means that the defence is doing really well. 

opposite

based on clean sheet stats we had a good defence

based on shots faced or saves made stats we had a poor defence and a great keeper

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

opposite

based on clean sheet stats we had a good defence

based on shots faced or saves made stats we had a poor defence and a great keeper

Does that talk about the quality of shots, though? I'm wondering how useful a stat that is

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Does that talk about the quality of shots, though? I'm wondering how useful a stat that is

yeah i see your point, it doesnt calculate shots where for example the defender has closed them down forcing them to rush it or pushed them wide or put them under any kind of pressure

but thats the joy of stats

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I remember a few games last season Martinez was saving 30 yard passes and they were counting as shots

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah i see your point, it doesnt calculate shots where for example the defender has closed them down forcing them to rush it or pushed them wide or put them under any kind of pressure

We were 11th on XG against with 53. 25xg for the season

Our lasr game vs Chelsea they had 3.45 Xg

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Sorry a) we 15th with the team with the least shots listed as 1st. b) It was actually shots on target, which if anything is worse for the defence - means they are not necessarily getting their angles covered etc.

Mings makes me nervous every game and he's the one player in the squad who makes me feel that way everytime and were getting pressured. It's TRUE what people say he doesn't learn, he makes those soft passes all to much or clumsy passes also.

I would be down for finding a better CB next summer that's providing we don't need anywhere else which I doubt it with how the midfield needs touching up and will most likely look to sell Ghazi.

It's like Mings needs constant guarding, someone who's around him who is fast and could possibly mop up his mistakes but it shouldn't have to be like this. Mings is or should be quite capable of sorting this out but he's been doing it ever since we signed him. Maybe this is what lost him his Bournemouth spot in the end and to be fair we did buy him for a job in the championship and maybe just maybe it's a tad bit much for him to be playing a full 90 mins at prem level against teams who have tricky strikers like Chelsea do. 

So yeah maybe in a couple of season we maybe in a position to sell Mings or at least he takes abit of a bench seat for abit and see if he can earn his spot back. I think part of the problem is that Mings thinks/knows he's irreplaceable because theres no one at Villa to directly challenge him for his spot. Mings is not going to reach new levels or try to, or try push to ditch these mistakes when he's pretty much seen as the main CB. If Mings had another CB breathing down his neck at least he would want to push himself and despite his age if theres pressure there then he may just manage to wipe the mistakes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

and the beauty of watching a game.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Mings makes me nervous every game and he's the one player in the squad who makes me feel that way everytime and were getting pressured. It's TRUE what people say he doesn't learn, he makes those soft passes all to much or clumsy passes also.

I would be down for finding a better CB next summer that's providing we don't need anywhere else which I doubt it with how the midfield needs touching up and will most likely look to sell Ghazi.

It's like Mings needs constant guarding, someone who's around him who is fast and could possibly mop up his mistakes but it shouldn't have to be like this. Mings is or should be quite capable of sorting this out but he's been doing it ever since we signed him. Maybe this is what lost him his Bournemouth spot in the end and to be fair we did buy him for a job in the championship and maybe just maybe it's a tad bit much for him to be playing a full 90 mins at prem level against teams who have tricky strikers like Chelsea do. 

So yeah maybe in a couple of season we maybe in a position to sell Mings or at least he takes abit of a bench seat for abit and see if he can earn his spot back. I think part of the problem is that Mings thinks/knows he's irreplaceable because theres no one at Villa to directly challenge him for his spot. Mings is not going to reach new levels or try to, or try push to ditch these mistakes when he's pretty much seen as the main CB. If Mings had another CB breathing down his neck at least he would want to push himself and despite his age if theres pressure there then he may just manage to wipe the mistakes out.

I don't think its a case of him needing to be challenged, I think its more about concentration and positional play.

It seems to me, Tyrone makes more mistakes, when he is on the left, or up field, when he drifts out of the centre, I think he is vulnerable....he thinks he has better ball control than he has....He is not a maguire or Van Dijk, but he is a good defender, when he doesn't drift.

For me, He needs to stay centrally and not drift out.

I think he comes out to help others and he should stay put.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think its a case of him needing to be challenged, I think its more about concentration and positional play.

It seems to me, Tyrone makes more mistakes, when he is on the left, or up field, when he drifts out of the centre, I think he is vulnerable....he thinks he has better ball control than he has....He is not a maguire or Van Dijk, but he is a good defender, when he doesn't drift.

For me, He needs to stay centrally and not drift out.

I think he comes out to help others and he should stay put.

And leave the team under pressure? 

He's a leader who takes charge - he's not going to sit there when another team member is floundering, it's not in his nature and it's what makes him a very good defender. 

He doesn't hide, he's not afraid of responsibility and he holds his hands up when he makes a mistake. 

We're lucky to have him. 

44 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Sorry Dave, I think you're talking nonsense. You talk about how he can't do everything on his own and needs somebody near him to help - that's called a defensive partnership. That's literally what they do. You don't think Van Dijk and Maguire have players next to them too to do that exact job? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That sounds like something the coaches should be addressing 

Maybe, they are, and the dynamics of the game dictate...who knows.

It does seem to me, its when he is out of position, disaster can strike.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

And leave the team under pressure? 

He's a leader who takes charge - he's not going to sit there when another team member is floundering, it's not in his nature and it's what makes him a very good defender. 

He doesn't hide, he's not afraid of responsibility and he holds his hands up when he makes a mistake. 

We're lucky to have him. 

Sorry Dave, I think you're talking nonsense. You talk about how he can't do everything on his own and needs somebody near him to help - that's called a defensive partnership. That's literally what they do. You don't think Van Dijk and Maguire have players next to them too to do that exact job? 

There comes a time, when the other team member who is floundering, needs to be called out too.

I am defending him, not castigating him.....but we can't be having these kind of mistakes, where they are just gifts of goals.

The things you say are very noble, but the issue has to be addressed, not passed over.....I too think he is trying to relieve pressure, where it could be the issue lies elsewhere.

as an example.....The incident with Wellbeck last season, did not warrant him being that far out of position, we was wide open and paid the price......maguire and Van Dijk can do it more comfortably, because they have the supporting player quality to do it.

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Sorry a) we 15th with the team with the least shots listed as 1st. b) It was actually shots on target, which if anything is worse for the defence - means they are not necessarily getting their angles covered etc.

Shots on target also include the wasted long shots that goes straight to the keepers hands and was a lot of them last season 

Â