Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Agree. Throw him in see what he is made of. It's clear that there's been a change of direction in the academy with a drive for younger players and clearing out anyone over 21.

If he is shit no loss. But if he is good enough he will thrive playing at this level. Stop the faffing around. This lad started off really well for Doncaster last year got rave reviews from Darren Moore, but had 6 months of his development stolen by covid. So throw him in see what he is made of.

He would be competing with Hourihane, Nakamba, McGinn. None of which have really nailed down their place by showing they are top PL quality (I think McGinn will in time). So throw him in and see what happens

• Like 2

There is also a huge argument to be said that now is the perfect time to blood youth. No huge crowds. Let's them adapt to the different pace and physicality of men's pro football without the added pressure of crowds.

If he settles well by the time crowds return he has that self belief already

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ramshackler said:

There is also a huge argument to be said that now is the perfect time to blood youth. No huge crowds. Let's them adapt to the different pace and physicality of men's pro football without the added pressure of crowds.

If he settles well by the time crowds return he has that self belief already

That is a very relevant point.

All of these optimistic and structured discussions are killing me, we all know how much it means to bring through an academy player, and this lad (along with several others), does seem to have the potential so personally should be given the opportunity to sit on the bench with the aim of giving some first team game time when possible.

As ramshackler says this is a great time while there is no crowd pressure to get some game time in PL stadiums against PL teams..

And ohhh yer ......

They are killing me cus until we kick a ball I have blind optimism that this could be our year to actually get a real foothold back in the Prem ....

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Slight digression, but while I sort of agree about the importance of athleticism in football, Iceland have become solid because of other stuff than that. They actually got some good footballers and they are an incredibly set team. Everyone knows their movements, weaknesses and strengths and they play rigidly to a game plan. I think it's unwise to say that's due to physicality, if not slightly disrespectful. 

I was highlighting one aspect, not excluding the rest.

Iceland showed many attributes....but in terms of technical ability not on par with us.

but if a technical team is not on their game.....a workmanlike team can negate them, is my point.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m struggling to think of many examples of players we’ve loaned out that have then returned to us and pushed on other than Grealish. I can think of a lot that have gone the other way.

But that's the reason for loaning the player out too.

I think Cahill was a good example of the loan programme....we just had a manager with a wonky ability to appraise a player..so let him go.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Think I'd rather see him go out on loan for a full season, whether that's championship or league one I don't really mind, getting regular game time in a physical league will be very important for this guy's development I feel. He's a good talent. 

Personally would like to see him somewhere like a Sunderland. With the new structure coming into place in league one, loans will be more important than ever in that league and a lot of our younger lads could get a good move. 

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Think I'd rather see him go out on loan for a full season, whether that's championship or league one I don't really mind, getting regular game time in a physical league will be very important for this guy's development I feel. He's a good talent. 

Personally would like to see him somewhere like a Sunderland. With the new structure coming into place in league one, loans will be more important than ever in that league and a lot of our younger lads could get a good move. 

Why somewhere like Sunderland? Last season he went to Doncaster pre lockdown and was doing well there. For me it would make more sense if sending him league one, to go back to Doncaster. They liked him, encouraged him and played him. So if staying league one, he’d do well to go back there. But then it’s not just us who chooses, there has to be a demand for him

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why somewhere like Sunderland? Last season he went to Doncaster pre lockdown and was doing well there. For me it would make more sense if sending him league one, to go back to Doncaster. They liked him, encouraged him and played him. So if staying league one, he’d do well to go back there. But then it’s not just us who chooses, there has to be a demand for him

I think Sunderland would be a similar level team so he could deal with the expectations of the fans 

I also think we should keep him. Our central midfield isnt great either, after McGinn, Luiz, Hourihane and Nakamba we dont really have much options in the centre of the park

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the Burton game represents an opportunity for Jacob to be involved with the first team. 

We need to start him that game, if some of the signings took longer then I’d keep him in the squad until the window closes. 

10 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We need to start him that game, if some of the signings took longer then I’d keep him in the squad until the window closes. 

We need to loan him out. We have to stop gambling with players development he needs regular game time in a physical league. I think he could be decent in the championship and if we give him a year or 2 there he could be ready to come in and make an impact in a few years time. No point only letting him play 3 games a season plus u-23s when that level clearly doesn't prepare them for the physicality of professional leagues. 

I’d love to get back into a position where we can start bringing young players through again, it feels like an age since we’ve been in a position to do so.

Whether it be battling relegation or chasing promotion we’ve had too much on the line for the past 5-6 years, coupled with an apparent lack of quality from the youth setup.

Its pretty much the only sustainable way to grow unless you can keep doing well / getting lucky on the transfer merry-go-round.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We need to loan him out. We have to stop gambling with players development he needs regular game time in a physical league. I think he could be decent in the championship and if we give him a year or 2 there he could be ready to come in and make an impact in a few years time. No point only letting him play 3 games a season plus u-23s when that level clearly doesn't prepare them for the physicality of professional leagues. 

I meant loaning him after playing one or two games before signings.

Â