Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Why "sad" against my comment @sir_gary_cahill.  Is it not true that so many of our young talents never make it to established 1st team status at top level?  What I'm saying is enjoy them at their level and if they do make it at the top level with us then great but the stats suggest most wont.  What's wrong with that? it's realistic based on history.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wouldnt get your hopes up, in my 30 years of watching the Villa, how many youngsters that have looked quality, had big expectations put against them and then not turned out like we would want them to be and left the club to smaller endeavours. 

I used to love watching the youngsters come through but now I just enjoy them at their level and not have big expectations at a higher level but if they do come through and become a first team member then enjoy that.  The likelihood is that only 1 out of that group makes it at PL level, it's a shame but history doesnt lie.  Others will get their chances, maybe a few appearances here or there but then disappear from our first team level.

I hope I'm wrong but years of watching young talent at Villa never delivering on the next level has made me very skeptical of any new talent coming through however good they look. 

Every once in a while, there is a star like a Grealish and when you see them come through it fills you with pride. I think we understimate as fans how good you have to be to make it at this club, particularly when we are in the Premier League. You are very critical in this post nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why "sad" against my comment @sir_gary_cahill.  Is it not true that so many of our young talents never make it to established 1st team status at top level?  What I'm saying is enjoy them at their level and if they do make it at the top level with us then great but the stats suggest most wont.  What's wrong with that? it's realistic based on history.

Nothing wrong with it, it’s the sad truth but every once in a while, there is a star that comes through. I think it is important to be positive in every walk of life

Probably worth keeping in mind that Ramsey is getting on for three years older than Barry and Chukwuemeka - in youth football terms, that's a generation - don't expect to see those three come through as a group.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Every once in a while, there is a star like a Grealish and when you see them come through it fills you with pride. I think we understimate as fans how good you have to be to make it at this club, particularly when we are in the Premier League. You are very critical in this post nick76

Arent you agreeing with me though?  I'm saying we have a lot of young talent over the years and even now we have a batch that look really good from Ramsey to Barry but like you said they generally need to be a star or be incredibly good to make it in the Premier League, so the chances of more than one of the current batch coming through, despite how good they look in the lower levels, is unlikely.  As I said, enjoy them at the lower levels, and then if one comes through then enjoy at the first team but expecting a group of them to be around the first team and getting games next season is overly optimistic in my opinion.

I am being positive, only one will make an established first teamer.......lol just joking.

Not sure I'm being negative though, just saying that the likelihood is remote so enjoy them at the levels they are.  I'd love it if more younger players came through especially given how impatient Villa (all club) fans are about purchased players.  Purchased players get no time to settle, it wasnt their fault their price tag but home grown players get all the time in the world.  Davis and Wes are classic examples of that, if Wes had been a homegrown player he wouldve had more leeway.  If Davis had been brought, let's say for 10m, he would've been slaughtered on this website by now, not only his lack of goals, his lack of playing time and his constant injuries but because he's home grown he's given the opposite view.

If we had more in the team of homegrown players, this website would be more harmonious because we do give our players more time so I do hope more than one comes through.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Probably worth keeping in mind that Ramsey is getting on for three years older than Barry and Chukwuemeka - in youth football terms, that's a generation - don't expect to see those three come through as a group.

That's a shame, who would've been the lead singer? 🤣

In my humble opinion, all the ones who come through the academy over the years and have made a mark...... have, bossed their weight and stayed on the ball.....Jack was a little late, but he has mastered that now.

Talent is great, but you have to have all the other attributes that allow you to apply it.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Arent you agreeing with me though?  I'm saying we have a lot of young talent over the years and even now we have a batch that look really good from Ramsey to Barry but like you said they generally need to be a star or be incredibly good to make it in the Premier League, so the chances of more than one of the current batch coming through, despite how good they look in the lower levels, is unlikely.  As I said, enjoy them at the lower levels, and then if one comes through then enjoy at the first team but expecting a group of them to be around the first team and getting games next season is overly optimistic in my opinion.

I am being positive, only one will make an established first teamer.......lol just joking.

Not sure I'm being negative though, just saying that the likelihood is remote so enjoy them at the levels they are.  I'd love it if more younger players came through especially given how impatient Villa (all club) fans are about purchased players.  Purchased players get no time to settle, it wasnt their fault their price tag but home grown players get all the time in the world.  Davis and Wes are classic examples of that, if Wes had been a homegrown player he wouldve had more leeway.  If Davis had been brought, let's say for 10m, he would've been slaughtered on this website by now, not only his lack of goals, his lack of playing time and his constant injuries but because he's home grown he's given the opposite view.

If we had more in the team of homegrown players, this website would be more harmonious because we do give our players more time so I do hope more than one comes through.

good post.....being realistic, is not necesarily being negative.

I don't think you are negative in your comments.

• Thanks 1

I naively thought last time we went down we would blood the young crop we had. We didn't. We chased our arses and spanked a lot of money on trash.

I hope lessons are learned.

Going down is tough. Everyone wants to beat you and every fan demands you win every game pretty much. It is pressure. Last time we went down I perhaps didnt take this into consideration but even with that we HAVE to start giving our youngsters a chance.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2020 at 23:23, Villan4Life said:

You're always commenting on here about players looks SGC!! :D

well you have to have something to look at when the football is gash, chris.........🤣

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I naively thought last time we went down we would blood the young crop we had. We didn't. We chased our arses and spanked a lot of money on trash.

I hope lessons are learned.

Going down is tough. Everyone wants to beat you and every fan demands you win every game pretty much. It is pressure. Last time we went down I perhaps didnt take this into consideration but even with that we HAVE to start giving our youngsters a chance.

We have, yes but equally, the youngsters have to be good enough to start, we cannot, just play them and get mauled, that too, is no good for their development.

From what I have seen from the academies, talking generally, is all talent and questionable application.....The kids we groom in general are too easily taken out and bullied off the ball and they end up as passengers, until its realised they are not good enough. They then end up in lower leagues where time an space is more plentiful for them to cope.

This league is riddled with players who won't let you play......you have to have the ability and presence to impose your skills on them. I think that is overlooked by many who appraise the young talent.

As an example.....Andy Gray @ 19 did not allow the opposition to disrupt his game, he gave back as good as he got.......Gary Shaw, @ 17/18 was a technician at keeping the ball and not getting caught in possession, if he thought danger was around he would release it......Gareth Barry was another player at an early age who could look after himself and did not allow himself to be taken out.....Brian Little @ 18/19 was just a sheer artist and his deft feet and sharp Brain got himself out of so much trouble, he also could take a challenge and stay in the game....sid Cowans was another mere kid, who could put the ball on a sixpence and still relished in the battle to secure possession, he had a hunger for the ball.....Jack was a perfect example of coming out of the academy with all the talent in the world, but he was forever on his arse and going to ground for fun.....His strength was worked on in a dedicated programme and he come back a different player, now they have to work hard to get him off the ball and the rest is history.

Thats what these kids need to do and have, is strength on the ball.

Its clear to me, when I am looking at young talent, They must also have the ability to not let their game be negated, by players of a stronger personality/Character......There is more to being good enough, than having the odd great pass or run in your locker.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

🔭

That has caused Ramsey to offer an emotional goodbye to Doncaster fans - and the club - after a spell that saw him score three times in 7 appearances for the club... However, he may not be done - totally - for this season. Jacob's brother, Aaron, is one of a group of Villa youngsters who have been called up to train with the first team ahead of a June 17 Premier League return against Sheffield United.It seems that the elder Ramsey brother may now be able to link up with the first team before they return to action, and could be set for a surprise appearance as Dean Smith surveys his Villa squad for a crucial run-in.

Birmingham mail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surely would be nice to eventually see the two Ramsey brothers play for us in the premier.

I also like Vasilev, since the lad converted to a forward hes done well for himself.

I really most of all would love it if Barry and Ramsey ruled the game against utd, I'm excited about hoping to see them play and I hope Smith makes the smart decisions to bring them on if tactically we need them.

Ramsey's that rare example of a young player we've loaned out at 18. We seem obssesed with keeping young players here until they're 20-21 and then suddenly realising it might be a good idea to give them some competitive games in the lower league. O'Hare was nearly 21 when he went to Carlisle.

He's done well at Doncaster which is no mean feat for someone away from home for first time and going into a pretty competitive league one with likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth in it.

Interesting how he does in next 18 month. Loan move to the championship seems next logical step. If we're in it I imagine he'll become part of first team group.

We've got a lot of youth players now that are nineteen and will be turning twenty in less than a year, Rowe and and Bazeley-Graham are already in their twenties,  Dominic Revan, Bridge, Walker , Birch, Brunt, and Guy all turn twenty later this year, so will be in their twenties next season, and Tait, Hooper, Vassilev, Odutayo, and Sea all reach their twenties early next year.

Could do with finding loan clubs for those that we want to keep, trouble is we're not a Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea, Spurs et cetera who will find it easier to loan out their youngsters as there will be a presumption that they're quality because of the current stature of the club that they play for, unless our youth products happen to be rated amongst the best in the country  as is the case with Jacob Ramsey, it probably isn't easy for us to find them footall league clubs that will actually play them, hence Brunt, Walker and Bazeley-Graham all having to be loaned to non league teams this season.

• 2 weeks later...

“I was really impressed but we didn’t get the chance to see the real him,”  said Moore to the Free Press.

“It was a great contribution and I was looking forward to the run in and seeing what he could do.

“We had a little snap shot of him. He only played a handful of games but he did well. He scored three goals and we saw a little bit.”

“He’s a very good player,” Moore said. “He added that bit more power to the midfield.

“He’s a goalscoring midfielder. If you’ve got that at this level, it helps a lot. It takes a bit of pressure off the forwards and it gives the opposition something else to worry about.

“He was almost David Platt-esque how he arrived late in the box. It's an unbelievable skill that he’s got to arrive late.

“He’s got the power to get off the back of people and come in from deep to create overloads.”

Darren Moore Doncaster manaer speaking about Ramsey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Â