Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

A great start for the lad, and at a decent level for someone so young. Hopefully he takes confidence from that, keeps working hard and progresses well during his time there.

With a good end to the season Doncaster could make the playoffs, and Jacob could make a good claim for a look in at first team level here in the summer, or worse case scenario a loan at a Championship club next season.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

A great start for the lad, and at a decent level for someone so young. Hopefully he takes confidence from that, keeps working hard and progresses well during his time there.

With a good end to the season Doncaster could make the playoffs, and Jacob could make a good claim for a look in at first team level here in the summer, or worse case scenario a loan at a Championship club next season.

We might be a Championship club next season

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, NeilS said:

I knew when I was typing that somebody would say that. Here's hoping not. 😀

There’s a very real possibility that we could go down but I think we have the players and manager to keep us up. I’d take 17th now in a  heartbeat

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

There’s a very real possibility that we could go down but I think we have the players and manager to keep us up. I’d take 17th now in a  heartbeat

Oh yeah it is definitely too close for comfort at the moment. It is getting to the crunch time, and I am just trying to remain positive for the time being.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Oh yeah it is definitely too close for comfort at the moment. It is getting to the crunch time, and I am just trying to remain positive for the time being.

And me, I have faith in Smith and the players though, do you?

On 31/01/2020 at 17:03, Farlz said:

Hopefully goes well for him

Wow, and we thought Hogan looked excited to join Blues 

Why is his nickname JJ? Darren Moore kept calling him it in his post match interview

On 05/02/2020 at 00:59, Dave-R said:

With Ramsey, Vasilev and Barry that's three youngster who could be fantastic, if certainly have them start next season and show we can allow youth to step on into the first eleven and give Youth the belief that hard work pays off.

We have not exactly been a good club for youth to break through have we.

Archer as well? Or is he not as highly rated? 

On 05/02/2020 at 00:59, Dave-R said:

With Ramsey, Vasilev and Barry that's three youngster who could be fantastic, if certainly have them start next season and show we can allow youth to step on into the first eleven and give Youth the belief that hard work pays off.

We have not exactly been a good club for youth to break through have we.

Would be good to see vassilev, barry and possibly  j.ramsey in or around the first team next season.

I reckon if we go down they could play a big part of the first team squad. (Ofc I hope we dont go down)

• Like 1

The article isn't primarily about his move to Doncaster that's just the headline, it gives a lot of information about the player and his brothers that people won't have been aware of, and many won't have seen the article because you need a subscription to 'The Athletic' to read it.

'
Boss Dean Smith has high hopes for the talented teenager, who has already made his first-team bow and regularly trains with the seniors following his goalscoring exploits and classy performances for Villa’s under-23s.

But after Villa went out of the FA Cup earlier this month, Ramsey’s chances of featuring again in the first team during the Premier League run-in are slim. Doncaster, who are managed by Smith’s friend Darren Moore, are ready to offer playing time as they continue their push for the play-offs.

Finding the right loan club is half the battle these days as a wasted loan spell is worse than not going out at all. Villa have kept some of their older players at the club for too long in recent years, which has set them back. Easah Suliman, who left for Vitoria SC this week, and Callum O’Hare, currently on loan at Coventry City, are prime examples.

Ramsey has been a key member of Villa’s under-23 side this year and isn’t the only member of his family at the club. Jacob has two brothers: Aaron, 16, who has made a big impression and recently captained England under-17s, and Cole, 12, who is developing nicely further down the age groups at Bodymoor Heath.

Three Ramseys in one Villa team of the future is quite a thought and they’re already a third of the way there with Jacob turning professional this year. What makes their journey even more interesting is that they’re from a family who had no previous interest in the game.

Father, Mark ‘Razor’ Ramsey was a former boxer who became an ABA Champion in 1989. He lost twice to a young Ricky Hatton during the Hitman’s early professional days in 1998 and 1999. The brothers’ older sister, aged 20, is also a talented dancer.

The Razor retired when Jacob was two and the family’s interest in football began when eldest son Jacob started playing for local Birmingham team Beacon Colts aged five following an introductory after-school session. His father would go on to help him with boxing drills to keep fit when he got older.

Both Villa and West Bromwich Albion spotted Jacob’s talent and wanted him to sign. Aged nine, he decided to stay at Villa and went on to make his first-team debut against West Brom in the Championship last season.

Aaron, who plays in a slightly deeper midfield role for the under-18s, followed suit after years of watching Jacob. He started out at local team FC Premier and was also spotted by Villa at the age of seven.

Now 16, there are high hopes that Aaron can also go up a level after his two-year scholarship and start competing for a place in the senior set-up.

“They’re two talented players who we believe have a lot of potential,” head coach Smith told The Athletic earlier this year. “They are developing very well. I keep moving JJ up in training as often as I can to give him that experience. He’s had a bit of a growth spurt as well so we have to be mindful of that, too.”

Jacob signed a professional deal earlier this year and is contracted at the club until the end of 2021. He used to be the smallest player in the team but has recently shot up and, while still slight, his physique is developing with regular strength and conditioning work. Villa have closely monitored his progress for some time with the club’s sports scientists also watching over his development.

Like many other teenage players at Villa, the brothers live with separate host families. During the summer both hired a personal trainer.

Jacob likes to watch his own clips back from under-23 games and identify strengths and weaknesses. He will also study the movements of elite Premier League players with Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford known to be one of his idols. Villa have closely monitored his progress for some time with the club’s sports scientists also watching over his development.

Aaron, the middle of the three brothers, is said to have more of a fiery character than his older sibling, who is calm and measured in his approach. “Aaron certainly wears his heart on his sleeve,” said one source.

Bosses in the England youth set-up have also recognised his talent and recently handed him the captain’s armband during a comfortable 2-0 win for the under-17s over Czech Republic in November.

He played alongside the likes of Louie Barry, who is joining Villa from Barcelona, Jamal Musiala of Bayern Munich and Manchester City’s Alex Robertson.

Kevin Betsy, the England under-17 coach told The Athletic: “Aaron deserved the armband because of his performances for his club and his character around the place. We try to develop leaders across our pathway… but you can’t just talk about it and say ‘be a leader’. We have to give them the opportunity to do it and feel it on the grass. Aaron was given that opportunity.”

Cole, meanwhile, is still too young to be judged but is “football mad” and enjoys watching his brothers as much as playing himself. Villa coaching staff believe the trio are all heading in the right direction and they could eventually become the latest set of siblings to turn out for Villa.

Luke and Stefan Moore both played for the first-team after outshining Everton’s Wayne Rooney in the final of the FA Youth Cup back in 2002. Craig and Gary Gardner never played together but both featured at different stages before moving to Birmingham City.
 From the athletic. '

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Scored for Doncaster v Mk Dons away, he seems to be doing very well for them, hopefully he can come back and get in our team next season whatever division we’re in

I hope you’re right that and that he will progress quickly but I doubt there any other Doncaster players that look like they could be playing in the Premier League next season should we stay up. He most likely will need to stay out on loan to get game time.

4 minutes ago, Elton said:

I hope you’re right that and that he will progress quickly but I doubt there any other Doncaster players that look like they could be playing in the Premier League next season should we stay up. He most likely will need to stay out on loan to get game time.

I can understand what you’re saying but he has recently signed a new contract here, I think he’s in Smith’s thoughts. I think he’s good enough to be playing for us in the Premier League, even Grealish didn’t do as well as Ramsey in his loan spell

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Didn’t he?  Notts County fans love him

He was in a shite shite team too tbf. Still was the standout mind and saved them. Doncaster are a decent side.

Doing it in league 1 at 18 though is nothing to be sniffed at. Suggests to me he has a big chance with the right head on him.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Â