January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 hour ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Hypothetically, if we did sign Cahill - who would his partner be?

Chester is probably the choice of most, but Axel has been great IMO and is arguably better at the ball playing side of things.

Rotate them. It's a long season especially if injuries or suspensions occur.

21 hours ago, sne said:

Problem is we are in the Championship.

Are we looking for someone of Championship quality, and if so do we need to buy another one to replace him in the summer if we go up?

Can we afford (or attract) someone who is PL quality and can be built around for years to come? Do we have the scouting set up to this yet?

It's not easy. IMO the worst we can do is once again spend big on a Championship quality player who will at best make us slightly better.

Our current CB pairing, while temporary is working for now. £10m or so to put Alex or Chester on the bench would be folly when we have more pressing issues.

we need cover, badly. But it's a difficult time to buy players in January, especially when not knowing what league we will be playing in next season.

Moukdoudi is out of contract in the summer so he'd be worth a try in Jan IMO.

Good argument sne.

I would say that the type of player we would be going for will be similar to what we have with tuanzebe, a youngster playing at a good level with room for growth too; The big difference will be he will be our player and a longer term solution. It would seem to be the way the club are heading after listening to the message from the fan meeting, along with the bids for those 2 defenders in the summer.

I'm confident that either of those (or a similar ilk player) would be more than enough if we were to go up, for the first few seasons at least.

Tuanzebe is great, but the cold hard facts are he's not our player, and thus what ever happens next year we will probably have to get another player in anyway. This will be the same if we were to being in any other loan.

We need to start planning medium term and get away from this short term thinking.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Problem is we are in the Championship.

Are we looking for someone of Championship quality, and if so do we need to buy another one to replace him in the summer if we go up?

Can we afford (or attract) someone who is PL quality and can be built around for years to come? Do we have the scouting set up to this yet?

It's not easy. IMO the worst we can do is once again spend big on a Championship quality player who will at best make us slightly better.

Our current CB pairing, while temporary is working for now. £10m or so to put Alex or Chester on the bench would be folly when we have more pressing issues.

we need cover, badly. But it's a difficult time to buy players in January, especially when not knowing what league we will be playing in next season.

Moukdoudi is out of contract in the summer so he'd be worth a try in Jan IMO.

Yep, Elphick recall for me solves half the CB cover problem, then it depends on how ready Bedeau is. Two quality full backs would improve us more than central defenders, unless we got a young one who turns out to be awesome at a McGinn type price. It'll be interesting what business we end up doing, Moukoudi would fit the bill in terms of age, but and if we can get him "cheap" as he only has a few months left to run on his contract could be a great bit of business. Him plus Elphick recall and we'd look sorted at CB all of a sudden, left footed competition for Taylor/improvement onm Taylor I'd say is high on the list as is a long term replacement for Hutton. Nyland inspires a bti more confidence now that the defence as a unit is playing better but you'd think if we could get another young and good promising keeper then competition would do Nyland no harm either. Midfield we have lots of options, hopefully Lansbury can improve with Smith, wide we have lots of options and we have Hogan, Davis, Abraham, Codger up top. Kodija starting left Henryesque looks good to me too.

You could argue we're only 2 or 3 signings away from being a really good squad, good enough to really go on a run in the second half of the season and do something special.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Hypothetically, if we did sign Cahill - who would his partner be?

Chester is probably the choice of most, but Axel has been great IMO and is arguably better at the ball playing side of things.

Axel has looking really good in the last two playing out from the back, either short and being available for a return, two touch stuff and picking out players wide with decent vision. 

Edited by romavillan

On 21/11/2018 at 16:33, TrentVilla said:

Yes. But we signed him not borrowed him and we could afford his wages without FFP issues.

So not really the same situation.

Cahill @ £80k for 6 months is £2m. (I know £80k is a total guess, but thats what people have been suggesting so I'll roll with that).

We bought Tish for £5m.  How long have we had him already? How much has he played? That's not even including his wages.

How I WISH we'd loaned some of the dross that we've bought over the years.

McCormack? Hogan? There's about £24m right there JUST in transfer fees.  Lansbury?

We're not going to get Cahill, not because we shouldn't, but because he'll be in demand elsewhere.

Said it before. 

Really hope we are scouting Jack Lahne at Brommapojkarn (Olof's old club)

Having just turned 17 he is a real winger/striker talent. One to keep an eye at.

He will move this winter, could be a steal.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thug said:

Cahill @ £80k for 6 months is £2m. (I know £80k is a total guess, but thats what people have been suggesting so I'll roll with that).

We bought Tish for £5m.  How long have we had him already? How much has he played? That's not even including his wages.

How I WISH we'd loaned some of the dross that we've bought over the years.

McCormack? Hogan? There's about £24m right there JUST in transfer fees.  Lansbury?

We're not going to get Cahill, not because we shouldn't, but because he'll be in demand elsewhere.

I could just as easily list lots of players we signed for relatively little that have gone on to be successful and worth far more than we paid for them. 

Not all signings work, it doesn’t negate the point I’m making about loans or our need to stop our short term thinking.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Said it before. 

Really hope we are scouting Jack Lahne at Brommapojkarn (Olof's old club)

Having just turned 17 he is a real winger/striker talent. One to keep an eye at.

He will move this winter, could be a steal.

Any good Swedish defenders you recommend mate ?

Edited by Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

https://twitter.com/reluctantnicko/status/1066629656336629760?s=19

Tried to embed but it wouldn't allow it.

Nixon saying we're favourites for Tom Heaton from Burnley. Would be a good signing.

Good? More like amazing, especially at this level, would be a very good signing at Premier League level IMO, seems unlikely to me but removing the clown we currently have between sticks and getting a quality keeper in is a must.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 11/10/2018 at 15:20, sir_gary_cahill said:

What about Ezri Konsa? I thought he looked excellent at Villa Park earlier this season

Myself, @sir_gary_cahill and few others have been talking about Ezri Konsa in this thread in last few months.

Alas Arsenal now linked with signing him for £15mil in January.

He is very good player feel Chris Mepham at the moment is slightly better!

Exciting see what Dean will do in January.

• Thanks 1

Nyland has been just fine in the last few games, took a bit of time to settle but seems to have found his feet now.

Definitely need a left back though, to come straight into the team and Taylor can be backup until his contract expires (will anyone take him off us with the wages he's probably on?)

Also need a centre back for cover, doubt we could find anyone better than Chester or Tuanzebe in January to come straight into the team.

Genuinely think thats all we need, 2 signings in January*. No point stockpiling championship quality players that we potentially have to get rid of again if we get promoted. Rather spend more money on a proper left back than spread it for squad players.

* guess it depends on how many we can shift, but don't think there will be much demand for our fringe players

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Nyland has been just fine in the last few games, took a bit of time to settle but seems to have found his feet now.

Definitely need a left back though, to come straight into the team and Taylor can be backup until his contract expires (will anyone take him off us with the wages he's probably on?)

Also need a centre back for cover, doubt we could find anyone better than Chester or Tuanzebe in January to come straight into the team.

Genuinely think thats all we need, 2 signings in January*. No point stockpiling championship quality players that we potentially have to get rid of again if we get promoted. Rather spend more money on a proper left back than spread it for squad players.

* guess it depends on how many we can shift, but don't think there will be much demand for our fringe players

Exactly this.

I don't understand why some people are wanting us to sign half a squad in January.

Aside from your main point, players are more expensive, and pickings are slimmer in January.

A left back, a CB or 2 (One on loan) and recall players if necessary.

• Like 1