January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Isn't Cahill supposed to be a loan signing? At least initially.

Granted if we have money to spend and find the long term guy we want then by all means sign him.

But a Championship club spending £10 m or whatever McKenna would cost in January we had better done our scouting properly because that is a lot of moolah for a guy with 1 full season behind him in the Premiership. 

Think whatever money we have should be spent on LB, RB and GK or and the flanks.

But again, if we have money to spend and they find THE guy they want, by all means go for it.

Can't believe people are turning their noses up at Gary Cahill, our defence is so vulnerable (in terms of cover) he's 32 - not an old man. 61 England caps and still in his prime!

Get him on loan and if we go up then give him a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd year, we will need some solid experienced quality the first year or 2 in the prem with youth around it. No brainer for me as I think he's better than a 36 year old Terry we had last season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Can't believe people are turning their noses up at Gary Cahill, our defence is so vulnerable (in terms of cover) he's 32 - not an old man. 61 England caps and still in his prime!

Get him on loan and if we go up then give him a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd year, we will need some solid experienced quality the first year or 2 in the prem with youth around it. No brainer for me as I think he's better than a 36 year old Terry we had last season.

Agreed, I get what they are trying to say but it's not applicable in this case for a multitude of reasons.

Allegiances aside, proven quality at the highest level, could help solidify us for 2, 3, or even 4 years, along with promotion.

I think a 6 month loan and potentially a 1+1 year contract is as far as I would go.

Fully understand why he would want a longer deal but I'm done with long contracts to 30+ players, even someone like Cahill.

• Like 2

Cahill is 31 and has been one of the best English defenders over the past 5 or so years. There is no way another Premier League is not going to snap him up. 

Also not a chance in hell he is dropping down a league. 

Edit: personally see him ending up at Man U.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Cahill is 31 and has been one of the best English defenders over the past 5 or so years. There is no way another Premier League is not going to snap him up. 

Also not a chance in hell he is dropping down a league. 

Edit: personally see him ending up at Man U.

He will be 33 by the time the window opens. By all accounts he has been a walking bombscare the past 18 months.

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

Could be 45 and I'd still have him in rotation. 

Sweet Jesus, we are using Jedinak in there! 

12 hours ago, sne said:

Isn't Cahill supposed to be a loan signing? At least initially.

Granted if we have money to spend and find the long term guy we want then by all means sign him.

But a Championship club spending £10 m or whatever McKenna would cost in January we had better done our scouting properly because that is a lot of moolah for a guy with 1 full season behind him in the Premiership. 

Think whatever money we have should be spent on LB, RB and GK or and the flanks.

But again, if we have money to spend and they find THE guy they want, by all means go for it.

Yes, you would think it would be a loan but that was my very point we can't keep loaning players. We can't keep borrowing rather than building, we can't keep looking for quick fixes. It just isn't sustainable.

Last season we sold Baker and used most of the money from his sale paying the wages Samba. I know it wasn't as simple as that but its a reasonable line to draw between the two I think. I accept Samba wasn't on loan but its just another example of short term thinking.

Yes Snodgrass was great for us, Bolasie might be, Terry was immense. But sooner or later we have to do better, we have to build, we have to become sustainable and I think that process needs to start sooner rather than later. It should have started when we got relegated as I was saying at the time rather than the frankly reckless gamble we embarked upon.

Say we loan Cahill. What wages is on on? I'd imagine its circa £100k a week, Chelsea might sub some of that but we would still be paying what £80k a week like we are for Bolasie. That just isn't sustainable and I think it would be reckless.

You say "if we have the money to spend and find a long term guy we want then by all means sign him" but my point is we don't have the money to keep doing otherwise. 

I'm not advocating spending £10m on McKenna, I've never seen him play. But if we can go and get a player like McGinn for under £3m then I'm hopeful we can find a CB out there to sign and develop that will improve us and improve with us rather than cost us a load of wages and be gone in the summer. I'm not saying its easy to find or secure players like this but surely it should be the aim rather than continuing the way we have to date.

I agree with you we need a LB, I don't agree we need a RB or more options on the flanks, we may need a new keeper. I absolutely think we need a CB though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

I don't think they are, I'm certainly not, my comments have nothing to do with Cahill as a player as he would improve us. There is a wider point though, about the way the club is run and has been run that is what I'm 'turning my nose up at", I don't know about others though.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Yes, you would think it would be a loan but that was my very point we can't keep loaning players. We can't keep borrowing rather than building, we can't keep looking for quick fixes. It just isn't sustainable.

Last season we sold Baker and used most of the money from his sale paying the wages Samba. I know it wasn't as simple as that but its a reasonable line to draw between the two I think. I accept Samba wasn't on loan but its just another example of short term thinking.

Yes Snodgrass was great for us, Bolasie might be, Terry was immense. But sooner or later we have to do better, we have to build, we have to become sustainable and I think that process needs to start sooner rather than later. It should have started when we got relegated as I was saying at the time rather than the frankly reckless gamble we embarked upon.

Say we loan Cahill. What wages is on on? I'd imagine its circa £100k a week, Chelsea might sub some of that but we would still be paying what £80k a week like we are for Bolasie. That just isn't sustainable and I think it would be reckless.

You say "if we have the money to spend and find a long term guy we want then by all means sign him" but my point is we don't have the money to keep doing otherwise. 

I'm not advocating spending £10m on McKenna, I've never seen him play. But if we can go and get a player like McGinn for under £3m then I'm hopeful we can find a CB out there to sign and develop that will improve us and improve with us rather than cost us a load of wages and be gone in the summer. I'm not saying its easy to find or secure players like this but surely it should be the aim rather than continuing the way we have to date.

I agree with you we need a LB, I don't agree we need a RB or more options on the flanks, we may need a new keeper. I absolutely think we need a CB though.

Oh I agree with all that.

It was more about not signing Cahill on a long contract. 

also don't think we can or should spend big on McKenna AtM.

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

McKenna it seems we could have signed in the summer if hadn’t bid so late. 

Dont know anything about him but would welcome any highly rated centre half. We’re desperately short.

Aberdeen manager told Bruce a week before deadline if wanted him could bid now. Bruce bids on deadline day

25 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Last I read Cahill has been linked with AC Milan. We're probably not going to be able to compete with them.

Bournemouth beat them to Wilshere 😉. Milan are not a team going anywhere soon and need big rebuilding i think

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bournemouth beat them to Wilshere 😉. Milan are not a team going anywhere soon and need big rebuilding i think

They are going to break their wage budget in getting Zlatan to come back :D 

Still only 37...