Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Great from Smith today. Genuinely thought that formation change would be a disaster but credit to him and the players, they adapted quickly and we looked much much better for it. This formation allows us to play Grealish much higher, was almost playing as a second striker at times and he linked up with Wes really well.

Burnley were pretty bad in the first half but you can only play against whats in front of you and we were on the front foot and took full advantage of the situation. There have been plenty of games this season where we haven't so it's excellent to see.

Absolutely gutted for Wes and Heaton, what are the chances of having 2 players stretchered off in 1 game? For that to happen and for us to still see the game through showed excellent resiliency. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Graham t said:

You must be the only person in the world who thinks Brian Clough did not understand football. I am all for people having a a different opinion than everybody else on the planet as it gives the rest of us something to laugh about. I suggest you find something to comment on. As I said, stop embarrassing yourself.....

Some incredible mental gymnastics there, Graham. Tell me, do you use weather forecasts from decades ago too? I can just imagine you sitting in a deckchair drenched to the bone and insisting that it is in fact sunny, because meteorological legend Michael Fish told you it would be in 1976.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Now i'm not saying subs or tactical switches can't turn a game

That’s exactly what it’s about though. It’s not about dominating the full game it’s about being in control and slowing down the game when needed for example 2nd half under the kosh. Grealish has the ability to do it and we have seen him do it this season. It’s not about constantly playing at 100 miles an hour. Sometimes just to take the sting out the game. Buying cheap free kicks etc is part of it. Some can call it cheating but that’s the nature of the beast which is the premier league. This is nothing new though, Dean himself keeps on saying it - we need to retain the ball better etc. It’s not a myth.                          Edit for some reason it’s not highlighted andym.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

The system we played today really suits us. I hope Deano sticks with it. We were superb in the first half and hung on when we needed to be strong late in the game. Huge win. You could see the confidence of the players increase during an impressive first half performance.

• Like 1

so the 3-4-3 we played versus Burnley, from the highlights looked like the front 3 played much narrower (like an actual front 3 (1 striker, 2 inside forwards), rather than a striker and 2 wingers?), is that correct?

If so, looks to suit us much better.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brentford can't stop winning.

Danny Ings can't stop scoring and Liverpool keep winning....

what the hell has that got to do with Dean Smith ????

35 minutes ago, Graham t said:

You must be the only person in the world who thinks Brian Clough did not understand football. I am all for people having a a different opinion than everybody else on the planet as it gives the rest of us something to laugh about. I suggest you find something to comment on. As I said, stop embarrassing yourself.....

I think you're completely missing the subtlety of Clough's point.

He didn't really mean that football was a simple game from the perspective of the coach. Clearly it isn't simple, or we wouldn't have world class coaches like Clough, Ferguson, Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp, etc. who consistently outperform their competitors.

He meant that overloading players with too many tactical ideas was counter productive. He kept his team talks and player instructions very simple. But he was a highly intelligent man and a lot of thought went into his tactics.

I don't think football is a simple game at all, and I don't think Clough really thought that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its fast becoming my pet hate. It's just an easy stick to criticise the manager with  

As though moving a player slightly or using a sub will always get you back dominating. 

We are a newly promoted team aiming to finish 17th. If we succeed most games will go like today

I'm glad, you see it for what it is.

It's maybe the facet of his overall responsibilities which he has least control over in terms of having influence over proceedings.

It's a contest that runs for 45 minutes at a time over two halves without adequate stoppage to discuss and tweak tactical approach significantly.

In the event he can signal the captain or a player to notify the rest of the players that they are to switch the approach, then any changes have to of been well rehearsed prior.

So in game management is essentially just a momentary notification to his team that something they have planned prior and on the assumption of it being successful should be used.

There is not time to communicate that on this occasion things are going a certain way because of this, that, or something else, and to adjust accordingly we do this for said reason.

You can only instruct predetermined ways and means of successfully influencing a match in your favour, and hoping that they are adequately honed for what is currently transpiring.

Outside of half time team talk, and making good substitutions, there's not a whole lot of weight behind in-game management.

Don't get me wrong, it can play a role, a big one if done correctly, but the preparation and genius behind it all done well before the heat of the moment in any given fixture.

• Like 1

Â