Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Only if he has recognised our issues and brings players in to deal with those issues....if he pursues a similar path of signing many passive players, with no idea of how to stop the opposition from playing as a pre requisite.....i fear for him,and us.

Couldn't agree more. But surely he has to be given the chance to rectify our issues. The man got us promoted he deserves time and support in this window to fix our problems 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villastine said:

Couldn't agree more. But surely he has to be given the chance to rectify our issues. The man got us promoted he deserves time and support in this window to fix our problems 

True, but what if you don't think he will fix our problems? Defensively, it isn't gonna get better, or at least not by much. Everywhere Smith goes, a leaky defence always follows. Is he finally gonna wise up to this and solve this longstanding issue that he's always had? I sincerely doubt it and if he's plan is still gonna be just try and outscore all the other teams without actually working on the defensive side of things I also doubt things will end up much better.

As for others, Tactically, we've been outfoxed by opposing managers several times. Odd, and sometimes extremely late substitutions. Very commited to a striker that doesn't score goals and refuses to drop him no matter what. Lack of adaptability and stubbornness to a single system even when it isn't working. Very poor set piece plays defensively and offensively. The team and by extension him never seem to learn from their mistakes. Team seems to lack commitment and work ethic, and Smith has gone public with lambasting them about it, which is typically never a good sign regarding a manager's future. And this is before I mention the horrific performances on display against the worst teams in the league recently.

Just sayin, all signs seems to suggest he won't get us out of this. That doesn't take away from any of his accomplishments with us last season though.

So I'm in this odd position of I think he deserves to be given more chances to save us, but deep in my heart I've seen enough to know he very likely won't and we might as well take a punt on another manager in the hopes he can save us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

True, but what if you don't think he will fix our problems? Defensively, it isn't gonna get better, or at least not by much. Everywhere Smith goes, a leaky defence always follows. Is he finally gonna wise up to this and solve this longstanding issue that he's always had? I sincerely doubt it and if he's plan is still gonna be just try and outscore all the other teams without actually working on the defensive side of things I also doubt things will end up much better.

As for others, Tactically, we've been outfoxed by opposing managers several times. Odd, and sometimes extremely late substitutions. Very commited to a striker that doesn't score goals and refuses to drop him no matter what. Lack of adaptability and stubbornness to a single system even when it isn't working. Very poor set piece plays defensively and offensively. The team and by extension him never seem to learn from their mistakes. Team seems to lack commitment and work ethic, and Smith has gone public with lambasting them about it, which is typically never a good sign regarding a manager's future. And this is before I mention the horrific performances on display against the worst teams in the league recently.

Just sayin, all signs seems to suggest he won't get us out of this. That doesn't take away from any of his accomplishments with us last season though.

So I'm in this odd position of I think he deserves to be given more chances to save us, but deep in my heart I've seen enough to know he very likely won't and we might as well take a punt on another manager in the hopes he can save us.

Couldent agree more,and on top of all you have said he also keeps playing players out of position.Jack,Scot Hogan and apparently Wesley is best at the right of a 2 man attack.He also obviously does not listen to his assistants because I cant see JT ( an experienced international who has played for one of the top teams in the PL ) going along with playing Wesley every week.He is completly out of his depth and the longer we stay with him the deeper in the s..t we are going to get.It has taken him half a season to get us up to the heights of 18th FFS.

All hail Perry groves.......ffs, im off this site. For a bit, gonna go over to blues.com and help and them pick their next desperate loser.

Stay strong, we gave Bruce 2 seasons of serving up shit before DS stepped in and gave us hope. UTV  ps, sotc

• Like 1

The last time we gave Smith a January window we signed our best defender in yonks and went on a 10-game winning run. I’ll not be calling for his head anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

I'm a Villa fan. We are either just leaving one crisis or about to enter another one. Once you accept that you can only laugh.

I've faith in Smith, less faith in the recruitment team behind him. January will be an interesting month.

Some things I know for sure is that we wont be relegated by the end of the month, I'll still smile as I enter Villa Park with my kids, and that i still wont give a toss what anyone on any national radio says about the Villa because they don't understand the mess we were in 18 months ago, and will continue to quote how much we've spent as if that's the whole story.

Happy New Year to you all .

I feel the same, the turn around is absolutely incredible, we were nearly broke and possibly looking at playing league 1 football. Instead were back in the prem, weve given a great account of ourselves with a branch new team at some of the biggest stadiums in the country and we sell out every week. 

Keep going Dean, you have my support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

I'm a Villa fan. We are either just leaving one crisis or about to enter another one. Once you accept that you can only laugh.

I've faith in Smith, less faith in the recruitment team behind him. January will be an interesting month.

Some things I know for sure is that we wont be relegated by the end of the month, I'll still smile as I enter Villa Park with my kids, and that i still wont give a toss what anyone on any national radio says about the Villa because they don't understand the mess we were in 18 months ago, and will continue to quote how much we've spent as if that's the whole story.

Some people are acting like football itself will end if we do get relegated. We are in such a healthy position, as a club, that it only seems right, to me, that we give Smith time to succeed, as long as we keep within touching distance of safety.

If we go down, we’ll lose Grealish, McGinn, and probably Mings and Luiz, but I’d imagine most of the other players would stay and we’d smash the Championship. Especially if baggies and Leeds aren’t there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Some people are acting like football itself will end if we do get relegated. We are in such a healthy position, as a club, that it only seems right, to me, that we give Smith time to succeed, as long as we keep within touching distance of safety.

If we go down, we’ll lose Grealish, McGinn, and probably Mings and Luiz, but I’d imagine most of the other players would stay and we’d smash the Championship. Especially if baggies and Leeds aren’t there.

Don’t forget how shit we were in the championship until Grealish came back from injury

We were crap under Smith until then

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I sense some posters are actually enjoying the current slide. In that, I told you so way. 

Shameful. 

Thats ridiculous, what Villa fan would want that....I guess your "sense" has mislead you.

"The told you so" bunch as you put it, know themselves what they have written, so they have to prove nothing.

Happy New year to All !!!!

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

• No one wants you to not enjoy your day out with your family, thats sacrosanct
  • Chris wilder was in Div 1 a few seasons ago, so its not just us having gone through a difficult time as a club.....he has just built a rounded team. We have far more resources than them to play with....lets not wallow in self pity, too much.
  • We won't be relegated at all if we can right the wrongs, it is that simple.

Personally, I do care what others say about us and I want it to get back to platitudes as opposed to the dark comments.

I refute the argument that some have presented that some posters are enjoying this, i find that bizarre...folk deal with adversity differently.

just because folk are pointing out our deficiencies, no one should take it to heart, the alternative is to be delusional.

7 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Couldent agree more,and on top of all you have said he also keeps playing players out of position.Jack,Scot Hogan and apparently Wesley is best at the right of a 2 man attack.He also obviously does not listen to his assistants because I cant see JT ( an experienced international who has played for one of the top teams in the PL ) going along with playing Wesley every week.He is completly out of his depth and the longer we stay with him the deeper in the s..t we are going to get.It has taken him half a season to get us up to the heights of 18th FFS.

He plays Scot Hogan, really? Didn’t he pick Bosco Balaban against Southampton too?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Look on the bright side.

We are riding the crest of a slump ATM.

a ten game winning run should fix it......do it once the second time is a doddle.

Looks like a 5-3-2 today, interesting to see how it goes. Issue for me is Taylor on the left offers very little going forward - would be happier if Targett was fit. But let’s see what happens!

Edit: unless Konsa is playing CM.

Edited by Adam2003

9 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I doubt that. Probably more in the sense that the hurt of the slide varies in different degrees.

I think its more to do with some folk being honest with what they see and others refusing to admit it and claiming the morale high ground of being positive.....My chips were ****ed on months ago, I am over it now......I want a solution.

If there is a problem my motto is, bring out in to the open discuss it with all and then set about a process for a solution......a unified approach and a siege mentality.

Dithering will not keep us up.

We all know what we are good at, why discuss that?......its the bits that are making us lose games is the critical bit to fix.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Looks like a 5-3-2 today, interesting to see how it goes. Issue for me is Taylor on the left offers very little going forward - would be happier if Targett was fit. But let’s see what happens!

Edit: unless Konsa is playing CM.

I would play Hause at left back if Mings is fit......Taylor will get mullered in the air at the post.

14 hours ago, TRO said:

If we finish the season 1 point below 17th, where we are now......we are toast.

forget the league position its crap......its fight and conviction we need in every remaining game.

Do you honestly think Chris Wilder would struggle with £10-12 m  per player.?

because Wilders pre requiste of Workrate - organisation & Conviction would help players settle in to a fighting unit, that all play for each other for a common cause.

Thats what Saunders did blended a bunch of modest signings in to a fighting unit.....with the backdrop of Liverpool, Arsenal and the likes with the bigger purses.

His mantra was workrate which if applied correctly can negate a certain level of talent.

I fear we are missing a trick.

ps I also fear Dean has left it too late to bark on about Workrate....should have been addressed months ago.

I’m not seeing a team that is lacking in effort to be honest. 

We were naive in our bravery. Smith believed he’d got the players to go ‘toe to toe’ every week and play our way to safety. 

Every singing was made with the intention of us being a technically good, passing side who got on the front foot and tried to win every game. 

It damn near worked imo, we were so close to getting some great results in the first 15 games or so. I genuinely believe if we could have just held on in a couple of those games, we’d be in a completely different place mentally as a team. 

Now we do need a bit of a plan ‘B’ and the one thing I think the summer recruitment underestimated, was the sheer pace and physicality of the league, added to the fact that some experience is key, especially during the difficult times. 

We are 2/3 players away from turning this round, I’m totally convinced of that. I don’t think Smith has got things totally wrong, I just think we gambled on the players improving quicker than they have and confidence has dropped across the board due to the recent poor results. It was always gong to be a huge task to integrate that many new players into a team in one go, whilst trying to win games in arguably the hardest league in the world. We’ve fell short so far, but not by miles and imo we need to stick with him. 

Â