Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Glad he made the formation change but second half showed me why I'm still not convinced with him, dyche made changes and tweaks and we just allowed them to dominate for practically whole half. 

Very good win though and it is down to his change in formation ultimately so credit where its due! 

Excellent 1st half. 

I can forgive the drop off in the 2nd half to an extent, Dyche obviously gave them an absolute rocket at half time and they were always going to improve, plus we are low on confidence. 

We looked much more solid, but still a threat. It worked really well. 

• Like 1

Our back 3 seemed to do better than our back 4, what's going on.

Pleased with the performance, but I stand by the fact that we are still needing that sharp razor edge finishing as there were a few players today who missed some whoppers.

I'm hoping this makes Deano realise he needs to be more flexible with his systems.

He was actually holding his own signings and best players back with his stubbornness at times.

In the same breath, I have to give him props for doing just that, the system and press brought the best out of Wesley.

Still doesn't move quick enough to tweak IMO, hopefully this will come with experience, Dyche tweaked and it changed the game.

Having said that as well, the fact we are strongly linked with Vida, suggests he has probably wanted to play this system for a while but did not necessarily trust the reinforcements.

We slightly resorted to type in the second half.

Nyland looks like ALL the time out, after enduring a horrific start and fan abuse has done him well. Looks alot more matured, and assured in his few appearances.

Hopefully, Wesleys injury is not too bad, and the little time out will allow him to settle and relax further.

UTV!

Signings are crucial!!!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Excellent result - effort desire and work rate superb - change of formation was the key - 1st half excellent , 2nd half had to dig in and scrap but we did it - well done to manager   Staff , players and fans - Grealish says a big meeting was had between players and staff and a few things were said - well done all , onwards and upwards , happy new year all 👍

Brilliant, well in Deano. Delighted he made the switch to a back 3, it worked very well for us. 

Just have to hope now the 2 injuries today aren't serious but the signs really don't look good. 

Credit where credit is due, did well the first half. My only concern is whether this change in formation had been deliberate in light of Burnley's team or had just been Smith desperately chopping and changing to find something that works. 

Now on to getting spanked by Man City and Leicester. Easy games are over now

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Sad 1

Faultless from Smith today. Burnley were very poor today, but they're a team that would normally cause us problems. The system made the best of our available players, and also negated Burnley's 4-4-2 long ball tactics. Nakamba, Luiz, and Wesley all looked much more comfortable in this system.

Also deserves huge credit for getting a performance out of the team straight after a humiliating result.

We still gave away a few too many chances, but if you award us the VAR goal, really the game should have been over in the first half.

The balance of that Konsa-Mings-Hause backline is perfect. Konsa and Hause both look better as wide centre backs with freedom to drive forward, and Mings ties the whole team together. Could well become our regular back 3 for the next few seasons.

Still a long way to go, and we won't get games as easy as that every week - but Dean deserves an apology from a few people.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Credit where credit is due, did well the first half. My only concern is whether this change in formation had been deliberate in light of Burnley's team or had just been Smith desperately chopping and changing to find something that works. 

Now on to getting spanked by Man City and Leicester. Easy games are over now

Your glass was almost half full there for a second! 

There are no easy games and Leicester is irrelevant for survival. 

Yes we’ll probably get spanked by City, but then we have Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth - all winnable with the kind of performance we put in today. 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

Your glass was almost half full there for a second! 

There are no easy games and Leicester is irrelevant for survival. 

Yes we’ll probably get spanked by City, but then we have Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth - all winnable with the kind of performance we put in today. 

Yeah, I'm a naturally pessimistic guy, compared to most people at least. 😄

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Faultless from Smith today. Burnley were very poor today, but they're a team that would normally cause us problems. The system made the best of our available players, and also negated Burnley's 4-4-2 long ball tactics. Nakamba, Luiz, and Wesley all looked much more comfortable in this system.

Also deserves huge credit for getting a performance out of the team straight after a humiliating result.

We still gave away a few too many chances, but if you award us the VAR goal, really the game should have been over in the first half.

The balance of that Konsa-Mings-Hause backline is perfect. Konsa and Hause both look better as wide centre backs with freedom to drive forward, and Mings ties the whole team together. Could well become our regular back 3 for the next few seasons.

Still a long way to go, and we won't get games as easy as that every week - but Dean deserves an apology from a few people.

Why does he deserve an apology for being judged on past performances ? 
Today he will rightly be praised as the players delivered and he got his tactics and formation right - he cannot and should not  expect praise for having won 1 in 10 games previously .

Today well done Dean and thank god we finally ditched the 433 - onwards and upwards 

• Like 1

Just had a look on a Burnley forum out of interest, and they've an 'in our out' thread for Dyche and a surprising amount of them are saying that they think he should go, only a few days ago he was being talked about as some sort of ideal for us to aspire to. That said their fans probably should be careful what they wish for.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Looks like 3-4-3 suits us, hopefully we will stick with it???

I think a few of us have been intimating that a 3 - 4 - 3 or 3 - 5 - 2 would suit us based on personell and our weak points mate!

I hope we stick with it.

Or at the very least, make the switch when something else isn't working.

We need to have several ways of playing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

but Dean deserves an apology from a few people.

For what? I won’t apologise for his obvious shortfalls in the previous 10 games. It’s been calling out for a change for almost 2 months now. He deserves praise today which he has received. Let’s not make out this game makes up for everything we have witnessed. Let’s enjoy this and hope we continue in this way. 

Â