Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

I usually ignore you but pissing on a performance like that is so annoying. How is Smith supposed to change it?  El Ghazi has been poor, he brought on Kodija and we went down to 10 men. What is Smith to do?  You had enough fun these last couple games let us enjoy this one. 

I'm not a flip flop like certain fans are. I'm not reactionary. Won't change my view based on 1 game.

Smith has not shown anywhere that he is able to organize a defense. That's why i'm still Smith out.

Buzzing with the win but still massively concerned.

• Haha 1

Anyone who saw the match at the end would've seen Purslow run up to Smith and put his arms around him and say ''that was fantastic, well done''

On the evidence of that, it seems to me he is not going to go anywhere other than VP anytime soon.

That and the recent contract extension say's he's got the backing of the management.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Apart from 1 or 2 chances in the second half we were on the back foot from start to finish,  does not show Smith to be tactically aware at all. Good first half but not convinced yet he can save our season.

Second half was a bit concerning in that we never really looked intent on trying to retain possession and build an attack, but doing that would've required committing men forward.

Had we played an outfit with more ability to ask questions of our resoluteness we might've conceded that second goal we were all dreading, but we didn't, they had very little to offer.

That said, I think you have to say Smith was quite tactically aware, especially when you appreciate that the above was the worst of our performance.

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

You cant expect to dominate games for 90mins at this level with the players we have. 

It’s like some of you don’t actually watch football. How many times do you see one team dominate a half, then the opposition makes changes/gets a bollocking and the 2nd half is completely different? It happens literally all the time in games, from the top to the bottom. 

You have to take your chances when you’re on top and dig in and defend properly when you aren’t - we did that today and got the result we deserved. 

The fact Burnley improved in the 2nd half was not down to anything Smith did wrong, that’s just nonsense. 

Exactly. It's as if it's all down to us and there isn't another team playing or anything. 

• Like 4

Just now, Farlz said:

Really hope he's wrong, whatever you think of Wesley this would be an absolute disaster for us 

Doesn't sound like he is basing that on anything other than guesswork. 

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

You cant expect to dominate games for 90mins at this level with the players we have. 

I agree but that’s where game management comes in and part of is retaining the ball and making the right decisions etc. Slowing down the game etc.. We panic a lot and it really hasn’t improved. We don’t quite have the nous.

On 31/12/2019 at 11:58, lexicon said:

Brian Clough can't disagree because he's been dead for 15 years and you shouldn't presume to speak for him.

In any case, he stopped managing 26 years ago and in his last season Forest were relegated - it looked as though the modern game was already getting away from him.

It is not a 'simple game' now - it's evolved way beyond that. 

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. Brain Clough was the greatest manager of all time. I will take his opinion over yours if you don't mind, embarrassing .......

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. Brain Clough was the greatest manager of all time. I will take his opinion over yours if you don't mind, embarrassing .......

'Brain' Clough has never opined on the modern game of football and nor will he ever be able to because he's been dead for 15 years - there's nothing to take there. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I agree but that’s where game management comes in and part of is retaining the ball and making the right decisions etc. Slowing down the game etc.. We panic a lot and it really hasn’t improved. We don’t quite have the nous.

Totally agree, but I think that was more down to experience and confidence on the pitch, rather than mis-management. 

He was screaming at them to keep the ball, but when confidence is low and you’re holding on to a narrow lead, pressure tends to get the better of players. 

I fully expected Burnley to come out firing in that 2nd half, just as I’d have expected a reaction from us had it been the other way around. 

Even though we were on the back foot 2nd half, we still had a couple of chances to put the game to bed and looked decent on the break. 

It was an almost perfect away performance in many ways. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

'Brain' Clough has never opined on the modern game of football and nor will he ever be able to because he's been dead for 15 years - there's nothing to take there. 

I agree with this, and I'm a Clough fan.

• Like 1

You must be the only person in the world who thinks Brian Clough did not understand football. I am all for people having a a different opinion than everybody else on the planet as it gives the rest of us something to laugh about. I suggest you find something to comment on. As I said, stop embarrassing yourself.....

I thought we were superb in the first half. The second half was poor although we were also much more compact and sturdy than we have been for a while. I'm glad he changed the system today although I think he could've helped himself by using this early in the season, especially for away games. Smith may also realise now that the team are far more adaptable to system changes than he thought they would be. All in all a great win and hopefully the catalyst for a change in weekly performances and attitude on and off the pitch leading into the New Year.

18 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s like some of you don’t actually watch football. How many times do you see one team dominate a half, then the opposition makes changes/gets a bollocking and the 2nd half is completely different? It happens literally all the time in games, from the top to the bottom. 

You have to take your chances when you’re on top and dig in and defend properly when you aren’t - we did that today and got the result we deserved. 

The fact Burnley improved in the 2nd half was not down to anything Smith did wrong, that’s just nonsense. 

Thank you. Phrased it much better than I could. We still don't have a full 18 of quality players.  Just want to mention that's the 2nd 1 goal margin game we have closed out successfully. Besides the corner Burnley did nothing in the last 15 minutes. 

• Like 1

Very surprised at the line up, but big congrats Deano. 

He, like the players are learning the premier league. 

The change in formation is showing he can amend tactics to suit different teams. The rollicking he gave the team after Watford obviously worked. 

Edited by mikeyp102

Â