Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Why does he deserve an apology for being judged on past performances ? 
Today he will rightly be praised as the players delivered and he got his tactics and formation right - he cannot and should not  expect praise for having won 1 in 10 games previously .

Today well done Dean and thank god we finally ditched the 433 - onwards and upwards 

Because he was being judged on a handful of performances with his best defender injured, and people were saying he was out of his depth, calling for him to be sacked, etc.

He's proved today that he can outthink a Premier League manager - and funnily enough, a manager who a lot of the anti-Smith gang hold in very high regard.

It's not about expecting "praise" for winning 1 in 10. It's about giving a manager a fair chance, which he wasn't getting in some quarters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think a few of us have been intimating that a 3 - 4 - 3 or 3 - 5 - 2 would suit us based on personell and our weak points mate!

I hope we stick with it.

Or at the very least, make the switch when something else isn't working.

We need to have several ways of playing.

Yeah completely, i have been arguing for a 532 / 523 / 343 variance.

Looking at how we did seems it is definitely a better formation for us than 433?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

For what? I won’t apologise for his obvious shortfalls in the previous 10 games. It’s been calling out for a change for almost 2 months now. He deserves praise today which he has received. Let’s not make out this game makes up for everything we have witnessed. Let’s enjoy this and hope we continue in this way. 

See above.

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Still a long way to go, and we won't get games as easy as that every week - but Dean deserves an apology from a few people.

Does he ****. In fact the way we played today made me more annoyed with him for not changing shape after Southampton game. We could be mid table now.

Credit where it's due, set up perfectly today, I've still got faith in him and pleased that he saw the opportunity to change things

Edit...the most vocal of the anti Smith crowd have been against him from day 1

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 2

Said all along a back 3 suited our available players, makes us stronger defensively whilst keeping our attacking threat real. Dependant on opposition and with Targett back for Taylor we could also go 3-5-2 possibly having AEG up front with Wesley (if fit). I wonder if the players pushed for this given Jacks post match comments.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Life line for him I think. First half Dyche wasn't expecting a change in tactics. Second half, standard Smith resumes, as someone mentioned inplay management none existent, though players proved they have what it takes to stay up with the help of Grealish, still unsure weather Smith should be here all season, next game will be telling.

Really didn't see that. Burnley went all out attack. Of course we are gonna be on the back foot. We had a clear cut chance to go up 3 within 5 minutes. We just didn't take our chances in the 2nd half. Honestly we just don't have the pace to play on the counter. Hopefully we address that this month. 

Certainly been down on Smith over the past two weeks but today he really impressed me, not shown much of a plan B so far this season but pulled it out of his hat today. Excellent tactical changes, including to the shape and formation, which I believe we should persist with. We showed a lot more intensity, were on the front foot at more, got more bodies forward, most of the players looked like they knew what they were doing.

Second half different, IMO we didn't have the fitness or confidence to continue like we did in the first half, plus Burnley came out with a lot more intensity. However really big thumbs up for Smith today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Happy with the win.

But that 2nd half was garbage. Been like this all season. He just isn't good enough to take us to where we want to be.

Even if he keeps us up we should go all in for Rafa.

wrong donald trump GIF by Election 2016

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

Does he ****. In fact the way we played today made me more annoyed with him for not changing shape after Southampton game. We could be mid table now.

Credit where it's due, set up perfectly today, I've still got faith in him and pleased that he saw the opportunity to change things

I'm not talking about people who criticised his tactics - that was fair enough.

I'm talking about people who said he was a shit manager who was out of his depth and needed to be sacked, instead of giving him a chance to fix things.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Happy with the win.

But that 2nd half was garbage. Been like this all season. He just isn't good enough to take us to where we want to be.

I don't understand this attitude at all.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

6 points from the last 9 points available, Dean's doing something right....

Back on a point a game average, with a transfer window ahead of us. 

Get the right players in and we’ll be fine IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

I'm not talking about people who criticised his tactics - that was fair enough.

I'm talking about people who said he was a shit manager who was out of his depth and needed to be sacked, instead of giving him a chance to fix things.

Yeah those have been against him for a while to be fair, in some cases since he joined...they just became more vocal when the poor run started

• Like 1

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Really didn't see that. Burnley went all out attack. Of course we are gonna be on the back foot. We had a clear cut chance to go up 3 within 5 minutes. We just didn't take our chances in the 2nd half. Honestly we just don't have the pace to play on the counter. Hopefully we address that this month. 

Apart from 1 or 2 chances in the second half we were on the back foot from start to finish,  does not show Smith to be tactically aware at all. Good first half but not convinced yet he can save our season.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Happy with the win.

I usually ignore you but pissing on a performance like that is so annoying. How is Smith supposed to change it?  El Ghazi has been poor, he brought on Kodija and we went down to 10 men. What is Smith to do?  You had enough fun these last couple games let us enjoy this one. 

Anyone know of a website where you can view game stats by halves?

We were brilliant first half but awful second half and it’s certainly not the first time. Once the opposition manager has made tweaks in-game or half-time we seem unable to react.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Happy with the win.

Nah I’ll stick with Smith over Rafa thanks

• Haha 1

Â